Docker River Campground - Any Wood

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 10:36
ThreadID: 69771 Views:2958 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi to all reading this thread. I would like to hear from anyone that has stayed here, with the main point being wood for the nightly camp fire. We have been past the place many times, but never camped there. We are intending to stay there soon and wondering if we collect wood before arriving, or were you able to find enough there. Last time we dropped in, the area looked devoid of any fallen timber.

Cheers Stephen
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: outback epicurean - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 14:28

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 14:28
Hi

Its always better to pick up wood before you get to the camping area. There is always plenty on the side of the raod but never any at the camp. Besides if everyone used wood close to the camp there will be no trees and the area will be devoid of flallen timber for exactly that reason!
AnswerID: 369804

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 14:44

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 14:44
Hi Outback Epicurean
How long ago is since you stayed there and was there much night traffic? Like I said we have been past many times but never stayed there. There are great view from the lookout behind the camping area.

Thanks

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637224

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 18:56

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 18:56
Stephen

Last time we camped there we found very little wood but heaps of cones form the desert oaks and these urn very well on our fire bucket. Enough for a one night stop.

Cheers

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

AnswerID: 369840

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 19:33

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 19:33
Hi Peter,
Thanks for that. In the past, we have even used the bark of Desert Oak trees and this burns great. I just asked the question to see if it was like this all the time.
We have often thought that it looked a very pretty spot of a stop over and with the lookout platform, would make the ranges look great at sun set and at dawn.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637257

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 18:58

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 18:58
Stephen

Last time we camped there we found very little wood but heaps of cones form the desert oaks and these urn very well on our fire bucket. Enough for a one night stop.

Cheers

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

AnswerID: 369841

Reply By: DIO - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 19:57

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 19:57
Just remember that the fallen piece of timber you retrieve for a fire might be home to a reptile, marsupial or insect(s). Removing such timber can be detrimental to some of these species. Worth keeping in mind. Have a good one.
AnswerID: 369848

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 20:05

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 20:05
Hi DIO
I am aware of that, we only have minimal timber for cooking and warm, not the big bon fire type of fire. This will be our first night stop as a group as we head further into WA and out into the Great Victoria Desert and some remote locations.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637264

Reply By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 20:04

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 20:04
Hi Stephen when we stayed there 2 years ago only one truck drove past during the night and one other couple on a motor bike camped at the bottom.we were at the top.It was the end of june and i recon the temp dropped to 4 or 5 below .The fire rings and barby plates are first class but you will need to pick up wood before you get there.The cones off the desert oaks are good but the bark is better just look for a long dead tree.You dont need lot for one night.
Cheers Graeme.
AnswerID: 369984

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 20:58

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 20:58
Hi Graeme,
Thanks for that. Like I have said above, the times that we have been past, it always looks devoid of fallen times. I know that there is lots on the way and we will collect some before we get there. The sigh on the way in mentions that you may get a visit from the locals selling their wares? Did you have any such visit.

Thanks for your reply.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637372

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 20:54

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 20:54
Hi Stephen.We didnt get a visit but our daughter works in alice and visits a lot of the communities and there art work is worth a look if they come around usually in the morning.We had a quite wine and beer sitting around the camp fire but dont advertise the fact as its a dry community.Some clown had left empty beer cans everywhere near where we camped so we spent 15 mins cleaning up.They only charge a token fee so was the least we could do.we also had a visit during the night from a hungry dingo that ripped our dishwashing sponge to little pieces .There are also drop toilets and running water from memory.
cheers graeme.
FollowupID: 637506

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 21:56

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 21:56
Hi Graeme,
Thanks for that. It is because of its very pretty location, is the reason that we have chosen to make it a stop over.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637514

Sponsored Links