Ford Ranger 4 x 4

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 14:06
ThreadID: 69798 Views:3399 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 2007 Ford Ranger 4 x 4 . When I am in 4 wheel drive and when I want to turn sharply the transmission locks up .It works OK when I'm going straight ahead but when I'm negotiating tight turns on a steep mountain track or backing a boat down a boat ramp it is very dangerous
Does any one else have the same problem ?
[I don't have ABS]
The Ford dealer didn't know why its doing it but suggested it might be caused by the LSD in the back diff driving the front wheels through the gear box ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: disco driver - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 18:07

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 18:07
Hi Wombat,
Can you give a bit more info?
What happens when it "locks up"?
What happens to make it dangerous?
Any more clues?

Disco.
AnswerID: 369945

Follow Up By: wombat28 - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 09:04

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 09:04
Hello Disco,
When trying to turn in 4 wheel drive the front wheels lock up, [it feels like there is no front differential]. If you try this on a hard surface where the the tyres cant slip it appears to put a lot of strain on the transmission.
It can be dangerous if you are in tight turning situation as I was recently where I had to turn by going backwards and forwards using full locks on a slippery surface and a 1000 foot drop if I went over the edge of the road.
Do you own a Ranger or BT Mazda or know some one that has one ? if so could you try it , it would be interesting to see if it happens to other vechiles or I have a problem with mine
Another reason my Ford dealer suggested was it may be caused by the Electric engagers on the front hubs
Thanks for your interest
FollowupID: 637404

Follow Up By: Member - ross m (WA) - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 09:45

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 09:45
What do you mean by "lock up"?? Do the wheels stop turning?

If the Triton is part time 4wd ,you shouldnt be using 4wd on a hard surface because it does strain the transmission.

Anything with lockers is difficult to handle in tight turns.
Its the effect of all 4 wheels turning at the same speed.
FollowupID: 637408

Follow Up By: disco driver - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 11:23

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 11:23
Wombat,
To help sort out your problem, try this.
Lock the front hubs, engage 4wd and jackup the front of the ute so that both front wheels are off the ground.
Try turning one wheel clockwise, the other should turn anti clockwise.
If this does not happen there are 2 possibilities
1. Someone has fitted a diff lock of some sort to your front axle and it is still engaged
or
2. Your front diff is not working properly, (read "Buggered"). They should be used for a few k's each month to spread oil throughout the diff.

Any part time 4wd will, as Ross has indicated, be a bit harder to manouver in 4wd on hard surfaces.
Continued use on hard surfaces can seriously overload shafts and bearings in the transmission with a potential for failure.

Hope this helps

Disco.
FollowupID: 637426

Follow Up By: wombat28 - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 21:26

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 21:26
Thank you for that information Disco,
I will try jacking it up tomorrow
Ross,
The front wheels in a turn seem to be revolving at the same speed there fore the inside wheel in a turn will slip . I have always owned 4 wheel drives and have never had this problem before [this is the first one that I have owned that has electric front hub engagers and 'RFW'Remote Free-Wheel Switch]
The only time I use the vechile on hard services in 4wd is when backing down a boat ramp
Norm,
I am very interested to see what you find out by testing your Ranger
Thank you
FollowupID: 637510

Reply By: Norm C (WA) - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 14:30

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 14:30
Hi Wombat
I've got a Ranger so I'II give it a try this arvo
and let you know
AnswerID: 370074

Follow Up By: wombat28 - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 08:27

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 08:27
Norm C.
Thanks Norm , I will be interested in the result
FollowupID: 637772

Follow Up By: Norm C (WA) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 09:54

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 09:54
Wombat
sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
I got called to do something and got distracted
My ranger is fine on the likes of compacted limestone,
on tar it feels very bitey as you would expect but doesn't lock up as such
FollowupID: 637944

Sponsored Links