Mt wellington snow?

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 14:31
ThreadID: 69800 Views:1999 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings, any Tassie people out there know if there is snow on Mt wellington yet? I'm there in a 4 weeks time and would be good to show the kids.
Cheers
Scott
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: landed eagle - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 16:12

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 16:12
The pinnacle road was closed a few days ago because of a big dump of snow. Another four weeks and you should be good for snow ball fight anytime you like.

Bring some REALLY warm clothing for them though. Often the wind chill on top is in the minus degrees and it just takes the fun out of it if you're too cold.Would suggest you go up during the week if possible when all us Hobartians are at work.If everyone goes up at once on a Sat/Sunday, it's an absolute sheemozzle up there finding car space to drive....let alone park.

Looking out the window right now I'd say it's snowing up there again.

Have fun.
AnswerID: 369926

Follow Up By: Ferret - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 16:24

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 16:24
Great news and many thanks. Yep, have stocked up on warm clothes here in Perth for the trip. Gonna do 3 nights at Ayres Rock, 4nights in Melbourne to pick up the flu and then 5 nights in Tassie....quite the mixed bag.
Cheers
Scott
FollowupID: 637330

Follow Up By: cocky - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 18:30

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 18:30
At lunch time today I received a text message from our daughter who flew to Tassie this morning, saying that she was up at the top of Mt Wellington and it was snowing. She said it cold!!!
FollowupID: 637348

Follow Up By: Member - Patricia R (TAS) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 01:02

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 01:02
You're fairly sure to find snow up there for the next few months - at this time of the year it rarely goes completely. I see someone has already suggested a weekday trip, and also recommended warm clothes - gloves (preferably waterproof, if you want to play in the stuff) and a cap that covers your ears - close fitting, as the wind is often very strong. Expect the temperature at the pinnacle to be in the minus factor! A thermos of hot coffee for when you finally get back into the car will go a long way towards kickstarting your "central heating". Enjoy your trip.
FollowupID: 637539

Reply By: didiaust - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 17:02

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 17:02
Ferrett

Try to get to Mt Field National Park- just a few hours south of Hobart

Was a great place for our youngsters to see plenty of snow

Have a great trip

Di
AnswerID: 369931

Sponsored Links