So you’ve locked everything up and things are sweet, or so you think.

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 17:19
ThreadID: 69809 Views:2896 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday

Some time back I lost the keys to a locking device on the garden trailer. This morning I unbolted the goose neck and took it around to a mates place to use his angle grinder to cut through the lock (6mm Lockwood?).

It took eight seconds to cut through the lock.

Makes you wonder why we bother to secure anything, when an angle grinder or crowbar Bar makes such short work of this perceived security.

I'm starting to think the mates 60Kg dog, or a bad mannared woman provides far better security.

LOL

Regards

Kim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 17:36

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 17:36
I can remember buying a pair of bolt cutters (it's a long story). But I was horrified at how easy theses things go through external locks...like a hot knife through butter. I rekkon I would of had a hard time explaining what it was doing in the boot if stopped by the constabulary.
AnswerID: 369937

Follow Up By: Krakka - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 19:01

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 19:01
You can buy padlocks that just laugh at bolt cutters, but you wont find them at Bunnings for $20.00
There are locks and then there are LOCKS.

Cheers

Krakka
FollowupID: 637353

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 19:34

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 19:34
Krakka, yes no doubt. But who locks their stuff up with them ? Certainly not the average Citizen...we're all too honest LOL
I claim no expertise in breaking into places, although I've done Bazzas trick a few times. I have even picked a lock on a pair of handcuffs...not the real ones...the ones from adult shops. (Not mine nor any relatives...kid locked themselves to a railing "by mistake" with mum's toy. We gave the toy back after she fronted the office :)
(and yes the staff wanted to know how I'd managed it...got funny looks )

One of the interesting things I've found when dealing with Govt Dpts and Businesses is the fact that you are guilty of being dishonest until proven otherwise. They aren't even nice about it.

I know the country's descended from convicts, but I have news. Most of us are not only honest but nice people.

FollowupID: 637356

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 19:41

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 19:41
Pete,

I dont think that there is any lock made that is the match for a $25 angle grinder.

Cheers,

Jim.

FollowupID: 637358

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 20:56

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 20:56
Your right their Jim

After the experience of recent bushfires ,to my permanently in car tool kit I have added an angle grinder with fine cut blade that runs of a 600w inverter and 20m of power lead to the car.
Its a simple low cost very fast and effective instrument.

I also have the super tough steel boltcutters and they are pretty good but the grinder is a better all round device.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 637371

Follow Up By: Krakka - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 06:09

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 06:09
Agree with you there Jim, But they will laugh at bolt cutters. Not very much at all is angle grinder proof. lol.
Cheers
FollowupID: 637387

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 18:08

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 18:08
G/Day All

We attended an Apex function at Mudgeeraba (Gold Coast Hinterland) recently, and one of the members locked his keys in the car,one of the local Police was doing a patrol around the area and pulled in to see how things were going, he offered to help unlock the vehicle, he pulled out some Blue Plastic Tape and proceded to try to get into the vehicle, I grabbed a Coat Hanger from the reception desk and had the vehicle unlocked in about 30 seconds, the Police Officer was in his late Thirties and was amazed how I did it, I showed him the technique and said it's common knowledge, how to do it without damaging the vehicle, he appreciated the breakin lecture lol lol.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 369946

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 18:25

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 18:25
Kim,
Unfortunatley Locks are only there for honest people. If a thief is determined to take your stuff, It will.
On our Camper tent, I had 10 pad locks all keyed alike.
1;Towing Hitch
2; 9kg gas bottle front
3; Front tool box and spare Tyre
4;2x lock down catches for hinged tent top
5; Rope box
6; Battery cage
7; 3kg gas bottle
8; Rear tailgate
9; Bike rack
10; Jerry can holder
Carried 3 meters of inch link gal chain to secure the bikes with.

Call me Paranoid, but I don't trust anybody. I've worked hard for the little that I own.
Over the years I have learnt to inconvenience thieves and make it as noisy as hell for them if they want to take anything.
I know it's not a nice thing to do or feel about, but camping is changing, and for the worst, in some cases. I don't give them opportunity.
Stayed at a caravan park last year and they told us about some thieving that was going on. We were told the Police were powerless to act, but If we Caught those responsible, we would be offered one weeks stay.

We will continue to travel and and enjoy this great land, it wont put us off.

Kim, a little thought into the way you secure your belongings and it will give a great deal of piece of mind.

Cheers

AnswerID: 369950

Reply By: D200Dug- Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 18:58

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 18:58
Do not wrap those really sharp tiny bait jig hooks available from fishing shops around chains and locks as it would be unfortunate if anyone was to get these stuck in their hands while stealing your gear.

I have a few strings of them on light fishing line ( for catching bait ) but I have been known to forgetfully leave them wrapped around locks in high risk areas.
AnswerID: 369961

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 20:20

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 20:20
You evil man.
Must remember that trick LOL
Another Bow in my quiver

FollowupID: 637362

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 20:40

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 20:40
WHAT ??? WHAT ??? WHAT ????

Not me!! I would never suggest anything like that !!!!!

you must have read my post the wrong way !!!!

I have heard of people doing things like that on crap pot ropes but I would never recommend anyone do anything like that :-)
FollowupID: 637365

Reply By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 22:15

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 22:15
yeah i agree, since i lost my beloved 4 runner, i have begged borrowed and stole screamers from any where and everywhere whislt at work, well they where throwing them out and can't let them go to waste. So when i get my next vehicle, its getting a very good alarm and the tray and canopy are getting double 120db screamers from chubb. Let's just say if they want my stuff they had better move like lighting, cause me and siegfried ( long shovel handle) are vicious.
AnswerID: 370009

Reply By: Patrol22 - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 06:57

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 06:57
Locks of any sort serve just one purpose IMHO....they keep honest people honest and do little or nothing to deter those who really want to knock you stuff off.
AnswerID: 370027

Reply By: Flywest - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 18:27

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 18:27
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Moderation Complaints Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 370137

Sponsored Links