Companions for Cape York

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 23:00
ThreadID: 69825 Views:2286 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Looking at going to Cape york, around september/october. Wondering if anyone would like to hook up with us as we can't affort the $3000 for us and our kids to do a tag along but don't want to do it solo. We can be reasonably flexable with dates and would love another family or couple to do the trip with. PS kids are boy 10 and girl 14. It would really make our around OZ trip complete.
Thanks Humie and family
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chisel - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 09:13

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 09:13
Do you need companions? If you are not going too far off the main routes I would expect it to be ok.
I'm interested in opinions on this because we are going to be touring FNQ/Gulf area in a month's time, with 2 toddlers, and are contemplating going up to the cape. I figure it is safe enough if we don't get too carried away with where we go. What do others think?
We'll be in a fairly stock 100 series TD, if that makes a difference.
AnswerID: 370037

Follow Up By: humie - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 22:29

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 22:29
Thanks chisel,
I dont know about the timing as we are still in Broome and heading east over the next 2 months and expect to be heading up to the cape mid to late sept.I cant see us going too far off the track, especially without backup. While we are pretty well set up in our 80 series its still a daunting trip to do on our own, especially after looking at the photos on the tagalong websites. Our email is karen.hulme@det.nsw.gov.au Drop us a line re; timing

thanks, humie
FollowupID: 637521

Reply By: Curlynan - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 09:29

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 09:29
Hi Humie,
We did this trip in July/Aug 2007 from Melbourne - Solo in our Kia Sportage and tent. Saying that, along the way & in Cooktown and also in Weipa we met quite a few people that were doing the trip to the Tip as well and believe me even if you are not "travelling together" you meet up with the same people on the track on and off for the whole trip, we even met up with 2 couples out at Vrilya Point for a few days, plus there is always someone coming along so if a mishap occurs you would not be left stranded to the point of complete isolation. Enough traffic on the OTT or the Development Rd. We went up via the OTT and then back via OTT to the Gunshot, where we did the bypass and hit the Development Rd which to us was BORING!!! When we camped on the OTT at Dalhunty River and Eliot Falls always someone around. So you really don't need a Tag Along..friends or other company is great but you can always hook up along the way and if it doesn't work out you part ways and no harm done.... people are always very friendly and eager to exchange a yarn or two.
We are heading to Cameron's Corner in Oct/Nov with our 7yo grandson, this time in the Landcruiser and tent, our only worries we hope..FLIES..LOL and looking forward to meeting new friends along the way.
Have a great trip.
Mish
AnswerID: 370039

Follow Up By: humie - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 22:33

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 22:33
Thanks curlynan,
We have met some great people on our trip so far and look forward to meeting more,hopefully with the same idea as us in travelling to the cape.Might see you on the road one day.
humie
FollowupID: 637523

Sponsored Links