Advertising

Submitted: Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 13:12
ThreadID: 69836 Views:2134 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Is there a way to suppress the advertising on the right hand side when you open a thread that keeps flicking up & down ???????????
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 13:21

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 13:21
Hi cuffs

You can resize the window - hover your mouse over the right side edge of the displayed window until the cursor changes to double arrows , now hold the left mouse button down and drag the edge towards the left until the advertising disappears.

HTH

malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 370065

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 14:02

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 14:02
Cuffs,

Is the item you are talking about the one with the shop products/trader & activities in it. it scrolls down item by item and then goes back to the top? Or are you talking about all of the RHS margin?

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 370069

Follow Up By: Member - cuffs (SA) - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 14:35

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 14:35
Shop products/trader & activities
FollowupID: 637447

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 14:43

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 14:43
This is intersting because I do not like it either and have been discussing on Friday and today about changing it and moving it down towards the end of the page. We have been tracking how many people use it and the results are not that great. I have also talked about making it still images (like it waas before) and have them fade out and then fade in on a new setup of items. This would take away the movement.

Thanks for your post and response I will take this onboard right now and see what we can come up with.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637450

Reply By: Dave&Di - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 14:11

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 14:11
Hi Cuffs, you sound a bit like me, can't stand adds!! I run the Mozilla Firefox browser and installed the ABP (addblock plus) add on. Then you have to download some filters from the add on section "so it knows what to block". With this done if you come across adds that are not in the filter list hover the mouse over the add and right click and in the window that appears, there will be a (add to blocked filter list) or something similar, left click on this and no more add.

Not sure if this can be done with Windows Explorer.

Wish I could do this with the TV!!!

Dave
AnswerID: 370071

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 14:29

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 14:29
Dave,

It is an interesting issue from our point of view - if we do not get the revenue from these ads the system would not exist and this is true for the majority of sites. Same issue with the TV, newspapers, mag's and just about everything else these days. No problem with you turning them off (your computer) but it must be remembered that if everyone does this then websites and tv programs, mags etc will go away.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637446

Follow Up By: Member - cuffs (SA) - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 14:38

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 14:38
I find the moving rain or flicking adds vert distracting can you replce with still pictures
FollowupID: 637448

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 15:47

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 15:47
I just ignore them David
FollowupID: 637456

Follow Up By: Dave&Di - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 16:59

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 16:59
I agree with you David about the financial side of advertising to help run a business, it might be just me but i think that adds can be ok in the right application. When an add is obtrusive and distracting I tend not to go there. I understand that some think if the add is in your face it might temp you, I'm afraid it does not me. As Cuff's mentions still pictured adds are not to bad. On the other hand the best advertising this site has is the forum. It may not pay towards the running costs of the site but after reading the pro's and con's in forum about an item you know most its good and bad points. This info I find is invaluable when I want to buy something. If the brand I choose to go with has an add on the page I will go there or search for it on the net, but I will not go to an add just because it is flashing in my face.
The option you mentioned re adds on the bottom sound ok.

Dave
FollowupID: 637467

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 18:44

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 18:44
Dave,
you say: "On the other hand the best advertising this site has is the forum.
It may not pay towards the running costs of the site but after reading the pro's and con's in forum about an item you know most its good and bad points.
This info I find is invaluable when I want to buy something"

I think that's the best excuse to join the forum - as a paid up member !!

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 637478

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 15:57

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 15:57
David,
what about some slight 'relief' for forum menbers, do you have some way of lessening the 'brightness or dazzle' factor of the add, then we would all leave them there, well maybe we would?

Could probably then be an incentive for added membership numbers too ?

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 370091

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 17:19

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 17:19
Mainey
You have a hide asking for things to be changed when you come on with a picture in your posts advertising what a bloody good fisherman you are and making people jealous.
Did they shrink you for the picture you skite.
Ian
FollowupID: 637470

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 17:44

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 17:44
Photoshop

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 637471

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 18:20

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 18:20
Naahhh, photoshop only removed the back-ground, it makes it clearer not larger
The fish come from a trip to Shady Camp

I've a few of the same fish, how many do you want to see to be sure it's genuine?

I've some pics of a larger Sambo I speared at Port Gregory, many at the caravan park enjoyed grilled Sambo for a few nights

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 637475

Sponsored Links