For those attending the Gathering at St George - horseshoes

Submitted: Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 18:43
ThreadID: 69850 Views:1897 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all

I've been talking with Sir Kev about a fun way to raise more $$ for charity at the gathering. Last year at Innamincka I turned up with a few sets of horseshoes and we all played and had a ball. Those winners last year were presented with a bottle of wine for their win.

This year I'd like to try something a bit different - playing for "Monopoly Money" and at some organised time - one evening perhaps - using that funny money to bid in a fun auction. You'll get some funny money when you play horseshoes, more if you win your round (and you can play as many times as you and the other half of the team can find a $2.00 coin) and, in the sad event you don't win any funny money, I'll sell you some for another $2.00 coin). I see this as a way of really getting everyone to dig deep and raise lots for charity. The kids will have a ball - they did last year and YES I have kid sized horseshoes and even have a set of ladies size this year so everyone is catered for in that regard. (Don't want any unwanted injuries from having fun now do we)

I'm open for suggestions as to the items for the auction - all will be small cheap stuff from a $2.00 shop wrapped in newspaper.
I will be bringing bottles of wine for some of the prizes.

Your suggestions folks

Cheers
John T (Lifetime Member)
VKS-737 Mobile 2619
Selcall 2619
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach in "Illusions"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 18:57

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 18:57
G'Day Again John,

Can I suggest that Mark G although he is an adult will probably need the kids sized horseshoes as he has a bit of a custard arm. I know this first hand after Jo's Back yard Blitz and the Fire wood cutting weekends LOL

I am sure I can muster some more prizes for the horse shoe throwing auction.

I will also add that attendee's should start researching the St George area History etc as I am trying to organise another Trivia Night for this gathering.

Some of the questions will be related to the discovery of St George and also what is located at some of the local attractions.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 370149

Follow Up By: Member - John T (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 19:13

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 19:13
Kev,
We have to stop meeting like this.

I'm rewriting the "Rules" for horseshoes to incorporate the funny money stuff and how much funny money etc. Mate for a few $$ I can pick up lots of stuff down here - might even try scrounging stuff from work like last year - the kids loved the show bags - I might even try other departments may as well get whatever I can from the Government.

Mark G - if you are reading this mate - you can play from the little kids 1/2 way line - I'll make sure Julie has the videa camera going the whole time hehe

I'm sure that the EO crew will come good with all sorts of stuff we can use (and I don't mean David and Michelle - I mean the members of EO)

See what sort of response we get on the forum

Cheers
John T (Lifetime Member)
VKS-737 Mobile 2619
Selcall 2619
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach in "Illusions"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 637481

Follow Up By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 20:12

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 20:12
Sir Kev, will you be able to show us the cave where St George kept his dragon????

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637500

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 07:36

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 07:36
Dave,

That is a local secret that will never be revealed LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637553

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 20:20

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 20:20
G/Day Kev and John

I'll try to pick up some stuff for the Gathering, but here is a suggestion, why not ask each Member or Visitor to donate a small gift eg, one per family, nothing over a couple of dollars or so, you guys can nominate the amount, and put them into the prize pool, I'll try and get some stuff from the Nissan Dealership lol lol.
AnswerID: 370179

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 06:47

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 06:47
Daza,

If you read the trip /gathering notes you will see there is a request for an item to donate for the gathering.

It is towards the bottom of the trip notes from memory.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637547

Sponsored Links