Metallic paint issues?

Submitted: Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 22:33
ThreadID: 69857 Views:3031 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have heard that metallic paint has a limited longevity in high UV conditions. I've got a 1HDJ79 RV 2006. I live in the Pilbara (picture the conditions) and is generally housed in a car port. Have read that those electronic rust devices can reduce paint deterioration. True?

I could be wrong as paints these days SHOULD be more resilient in harsh conditions

I love this Forum stuff! Learnt heaps already!

on ya fellas

clements
Matthew Clements
I just love the Pilbara!
1HDJ79 RV

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 23:16

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 23:16
Bit of an urban myth, paint technology over the last 10 years has improved 10 fold.

New paint finishes are very durable and can take a fair knock.

All of Australia is in a high UV area.

Electronic rust devices will not make your paint last longer and for most people they are a waste of money.

All we do is was the 4x4 well and polish it every 3-4 months with a good polish.

All you have to do is watch out for bird droppings on the paint as it will eat down to the metal in some instances.
AnswerID: 370219

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 01:02

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 01:02
agree with olcoolole
Agreed - Bird droppings are a pain.
Unless you get them off within 2 days they are a pain.
Had some sea gull droppings on the bonnet . Did not attended to them for about 4 / 5 days , bingo through to the metal. Result repaint!

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 637540

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 09:00

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 09:00
Gday Tony S
Your Gulls must have come from the local land fill and just had a good feed of toxic waste.
Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 637567

Reply By: Serendipity of Mandurah (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 08:59

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 08:59
Also up north bat droppings. The bat droppings are like acid and worse than bird droppings. I would make it a point to wash all bat squirts off the car every morning or I would be looking at metal in a day or too.

David

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 370260

Reply By: tim_c - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:03

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:03
Hi Matt,

The biggest problem for metallic paint is that it's not naturally glossy, so manufacturer's have to apply a clear-coat over it to get that nice shiny finish that we all like. I don't know why, but this clear coat seems to be a little less robust than a solid colour. Note that if the clear coat is lost/deteriorated, you will still have the protection of the metaliic paint, just not the nice glossy finish. It's true that paint technology has improved significantly, and I'd also expect your Toyota would have a better quality paint on it than some other cars around.

Keep it in the carport, out of the sun during the hottest part of the day, and out of the frost at night (probably not such an issue in the Pilbara!), clean the bugs, salt water spray, bird droppings, etc. off straight away and give it a good polish with a non-cutting polish at least twice a year and you'll keep your pride and joy looking good for a while yet.

As for the rust prevention, you might want to take a look at thread 69554 - from what they've said there, it seems those things actually accelerate paint deterioration.
AnswerID: 370295

Follow Up By: Matthew Clements - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 13:49

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 13:49
occolone and tim_c thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

Bought the wax today, coating tomorrow.

clements

Matthew Clements
I just love the Pilbara!
1HDJ79 RV

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 637619

Reply By: equinox - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 20:16

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 20:16
I have a HDJ79R 2006 as well, with Partchment Metallic Paint.

It is covered normally, but always open to the air.

I have been on a few bush trips in it and it still polishes up to near new looking.

It has never been in a car wash, I always prefer to wash it by hand.

I have long forgotton how much extra it cost me, but I'm glad I chose the option.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 370404

Reply By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 20:17

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 20:17
Just polish it with a quality polish twice a year and it will always look like new.
AnswerID: 370406

Sponsored Links