To all the new boys and girls on this site

Submitted: Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 22:48
ThreadID: 69858 Views:5538 Replies:31 FollowUps:64
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday

Most of the long term viewers and members understand why this site is informative to many people, and I’ve certainty learnt a lot about gadgets.

Having said that, there is a considerable amount of repetition that can easily be answered by:

1. Using the wealth of information this site provides including the archives (as distinct from the forum)
2. Google
3. Telephone book
4. Web research
5. Key government information hot lines
6. Etc

In my view, the site is being clogged with this unnecessary repetition at the expense of entertaining stories, bush humour and relevant reports that give real value to the reader. In other words, input has been overtaken by the need for output.

So I think a few fellars out there need to do a bit of homework first. If all else fails, then by all means ask the question.

If we can get this balance right, then I reckon it'll be more entertaining for everyone.

Regards

Kim

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 23:23

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 23:23
Kim,
I only read posts I believe may be of interest to me.

I would think that "relevant reports that give real value to the reader" must be up to date and reliable information, not information contained in the archives as it would probably be out of date, therefore questions should be asked so up to date information is obtained.

That's just my view on it :-)

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 370220

Follow Up By: Krakka - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 06:05

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 06:05
Yep, well said Mainey!

Krakka
FollowupID: 637543

Follow Up By: Member - Scoof (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 08:47

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 08:47
Spot on Mainey.

What interests me you may think is B/S and vice versa.
But a bit of research wouldn't go a stray some times.

Cheers Scoof . :-)
FollowupID: 637561

Reply By: gh1967 - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 23:41

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 23:41
I think one of the problems is how quickly threads move on this forum and off the page. In most other forums I particpate a new reply bumps it to the top. The lack of this feature, and 'stickies' is probably adding to the repetition.

Yes we have a search feature, but not everyone uses it or understands it's intricacies.
AnswerID: 370225

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 23:58

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 23:58
If you set your Display Options to "Response Time" (which _should be_ the default setting, IMO), instead of "Thread ID" (current default setting) then the most recent post/reply is always at the top...

;-))

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 637532

Follow Up By: wicket - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:37

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:37
Ed
sorry for the dumb question but where are the 'Display Options'?
FollowupID: 637585

Follow Up By: chisel - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:40

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:40
Even using Response Time ordering, things drop off the front page quickly. However, this has been previously discussed and I don't think the forum's format will change anytime soon.
FollowupID: 637586

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:21

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:21
wicket,
top of the Forum/thread index page (LHS), highlight the "F" (forum) symbol, and the search/display options are there... Hope that makes sense(?)

Regards, Ed C

Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 637593

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:28

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:28
If you believe a 'thread' moves off the page too quickly, then can I suggest change the number of "open threads" to 100 instead of the 10 or 25 etc.
If 100 'threads' continue to move off the page then use the "thread watch' feature to stay in contact with everything.

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 637596

Follow Up By: wicket - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:46

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:46
Ed
Thanks but those options don't appear, there was a site 'update' a while ago and since then those (LHS) symbols no longer work. But the problem is probably at my end as I'm still using win98 and IE6.
FollowupID: 637601

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 13:50

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 13:50
There is a Site Tips Blog that answers most of your technical queries. here is the exact link to the one about Display Settings - How to change Forum Display options
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 637620

Reply By: Ian & Sue - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 00:24

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 00:24
Well I was about to pay a membership but am thinking that its probably not worth it if I am going to be clogging the site asking questions that have been asked before. I for one do try to search archives but find that it isnt always easy to find the answers. I also use google which these days comes up with heaps of ads.

I was hoping that people would be happy to share their experiences mainly in caravaning as I am always happy to share mine in the other forums I participate in even if I do find myself repeating things occasionally.

I guess I will have to go back to meeting people on the road that are happy to offer hints and tips.

Well thats my two bobs worth.

Goodnight all.
AnswerID: 370230

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:03

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:03
If you need an answer you can't find by searching and with Google then by all means ask the question, if we can't help or offer an constructive advice then we have no need to respond.

I've put a few up over time that haven't been answered and I've been shot down a couple of times because we don't have a real 4WD, we don't care about that and if it turns out that we only talk to you and your half that's fine by us also. Don't let one persons opinion put you off as there is great value in the stuff they have compiled here.

Paul & Fiona
Now sporting a 'new' caravan because it suits us but we aren't sure of where we can take it yet - the fun will be finding out!
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637579

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:30

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:30
Ian & Sue,

Don't hold back on the questions........ there will always be someone on here who will have the answers. And anyone that gives you a hard time for asking questions....... just ignore 'em mate..... you got better things to do than put up with small minds.

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 637597

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 14:07

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 14:07
Don't worry too much about the vocal minority Ian and Sue - there is a lot more to this Forum than just the complainers. This Forum as been operating since the year 2000 and some people will get very intense for a while and post daily, others will interact only periodically on subjects of interest. We don't prescribe to the notion suggested above that people should refrain from asking questions - indeed we hope that the Forum community can offer both a support network and an information network to any newcomer or long-termer and we acknowledge that every person's viewpoint on an issue might be different to how it is discussed in a previous post so there is often merit in asking your own question. I know where he's coming from (Kim does have the best intentions of that I am confident) but I hope he hasn't given you the wrong idea about our intentions.

Give it some time and you'll find that questions on all and every relevant subject, are indeed replied to usefully - hopefully with much care and attention. Those that are bored with the same ole should check the Forum Rules should ensure that they do not alienate others and should behave appropriately with respect and consideration. This is not a chat room, so people who feel the need to read and respond to everything may indeed find things tedious sometimes but that is not the fault of the questions being posted, nor the design of the service.

I am sorry if you found this post to be offputting about our service, and if you found this affected your view of Membership may I encourage you to check the list of member benefits as you'll see that it covers other sections of the site, not just the Forum.

MM

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637626

Follow Up By: tim_c - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 20:30

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 20:30
Fiona & Paul, very sorry to hear that people have "shot you down" for not having a real 4WD... you buy the vehicle that is suitable for your needs and this site is not just a 4WD site, it also caters to campers and caravanners.
FollowupID: 637715

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 08:23

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 08:23
Fiona & Paul,
Reading tim_c's follow-up above got me to have a quick look at your profile. Your Subaru Forester has High and Low Range doesn't it? AFAIK there isn't a much more defining point than that in describing a 4WD. So, whoever it was that shot you down obviously is wrong! Take no notice of 'em!

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 637771

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:26

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:26
tim_c & Brian

Not too serious really from my point of view so I didn't worry about it to much and only mentioned it to demonstrate not to worry about the occasional brick-bat that comes across from time to time.

Yes it does have high/low range (not high enough in low range) sometimes, but I only use it to get Fi to out of the way places chasing 'rocks' and me to vantage points for photography.

I think though that this question, I am sure Kim & Dammdog didn't intend to have his message taken literally, has brought in a lot of people into the thread that show how much everyone looks out for each other.

I don't take notice of them guys, but I will where they can show that I am wrong or on the wrong track - a good learning place.

Hope we meet up around the bush sometime.

Fiona & Paul
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637803

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 23:09

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 23:09
Subaru ... not a real 4wd .... pfffffft

Have a look at all the new "real" so called 4x4s ... They are just obese Subarus.

Took toyota and nissan nearly 30yrs to get the copies right .... LOL
FollowupID: 638838

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 01:00
I can see the problem but I am more of the same mind as gh1967. I've signed up recently as a new member, having prev. been active as reg. visitor, and am still amazed at how this forum works. It's like no other F I've ever come across. I won't go into the past as again, it's been done to death via prev. threads, but this F is unique. Threads are just soooo temporary; no wonder Q's get re-visited as if the ghost of the original Q simply won't die.

Thread search is far far too clunky to be of much use except for the most basic searches. Anything layered is buried under clay.

That said, I reckon it's a great forum because, no matter how many members get p'off, there always seems to be sufficient to attend to even the most basic queries.

I use the F for a limited range of tech Q's as I'm still kitting out the vehicle. Mainly I am keen on the destination stuff and it's gold for this - see eg the post from 'getoutmore' this evening which I've followed up and will prob. 'do' in Oct this year. Also my Qs about my forthcoming Kimb/NT trip have led to significant route mods - thks to respondents.

So let's not get too precious about preferred styles - if one doesn't like the thread header, ignore the thread.

Really girls and boys, it's that simple.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 370232

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 05:23

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 05:23
Hi folks,

Here's my two bobs worth.

What may be boring or old hat to some isn't to others. Everyone has a point of view and understands things in a different way.

Lets encourage people with questions and seeking help. After all isn't his what a forum is all about?

cheers

phil
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 370238

Follow Up By: Member - Duane A (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 06:41

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 06:41
Thats what Australia is about bloke .
FollowupID: 637546

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 08:22

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 08:22
Duane,

Spot on there matey!

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 637559

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:05

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:05
Spot on Phil and just look how many Google searches sends enquiries to ExplorOz.

Paul & Fiona
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637580

Reply By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 06:14

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 06:14
I'm encouraged that the same old 'new' questions get asked...it points towards more people getting into four-wheel driving, which can't be a bad thing, even better they visit here to get the answers.

The adage, no such thing as a silly question comes to mind.
AnswerID: 370239

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 14:16

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 14:16
That is actually a very valid point. One of the things that those in web-marketing look at is the statistics on "Unique Browsers" or UBs. This is a count of all new users that have never been tracked to the site before. Media agencies like to view this data on a monthly basis and on ExplorOz our UB data is displayed in our Site Stats page. The interesting things is that our UBs is quite massive - some 346,103 for last month - and growing. This was up on the previous month, which was around 276,000 UBs. In comparison, our total user sessions for the month is sitting at just under 1 million sessions per month, so just about a third of a our total audience per month is new! The industry is indeed growing as more people take to camping and family road trip holidays and for us, as more people use their computer for research they will tend to stumble across ExplorOz when looking up info for destinations and vehicle technical issues etc.

MM

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637628

Follow Up By: Member - Duane A (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 02:06

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 02:06
And those statistics hopefully show that more people are staying at home and holidaying on this buetifull island we live on which is good for the economy ,And people we see just what we have in our back yard its an incredible place.
FollowupID: 637749

Reply By: P7OFFROAD Accredited Driver Training - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 06:16

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 06:16
So Kim's suggestion is to look everywhere else for your answers rather than here??

I'll repeat the sentiment of others, if the thread title holds no interest, then don't respond. It's not complicated and should cause you no offense.

To suggest that just because a question has been asked and answered before excludes it from the list of acceptable questions to be asked in the future, is just silly.

Newbies (and oldies), ask away. There are many here who will do their best to see that you get the widest and most current answers to you enquiries.

Dave's 2c
AnswerID: 370240

Follow Up By: Member - Jon W (Toowoomba QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 17:09

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 17:09
Hear! Hear!
Jon W
FollowupID: 637676

Reply By: Ozboc - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 07:20

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 07:20
l every single topic has just about been covered , with exception of updated road conditions ...... so your suggesting that this forum should now be closed as you dont feel the need to offer live advice to people ?

as for clogging the system - isnt that something the owners of this forum should worry about and not you ?

Boc
AnswerID: 370244

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 07:21

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 07:21
Hi All

I can understand where Kim is comming from, re: Bush Humour and Entertaining Stories, some of the Questions are so Trite, it makes one wonder some times, I also agree that people can gain knowledge from this Forum so as mentioned before, just skip over the Trite Stuff.
AnswerID: 370245

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 07:31

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 07:31
In my opinion the main problem is the comments from people to "search the archives" or "do a google".

If the person requesting information was comfortable or knowledgeable to perform these functions, they would have already done so. They have come to THIS SITE, THIS FORUM, to obtain their information.

I don't give a continental how often the same question is asked. If an informative and complete range of responses are already in the archives and no new information can be added then that is the time to refer someone to the existing information, usually by providing a post reference, or a URL that someone can click on.
Many times however, new methods, new products and new experiences will determine a different response than what the same person may have given last time round, so any relevant information is good.

What we do want to avoid folks, is to scare a new visitor or member off by "abusing" them for not researching elsewhere, before asking the question on this forum.
That is the primary purpose of the forum on ExlorOz. To provide accurate and relevant information on all things to do will 4WD'ing, Camping and Caravaning.

Perhaps the one thing now missing, is the camaraderie and humour that used to exist but has now been largely moderated out to the extent that the Forum has lost a lot of it's unique character.

This hasn't caused me to "spit the dummy" (yet) but I do miss the banter among forumites on a whole range of incidental, sometimes irrelevant but amusing "happenings".

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 370246

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 09:34

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 09:34
Spot on bill, you have hit the nail on the head.
Cheers pete
FollowupID: 637575

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 09:43

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 09:43
Yep, my sentiments too.

I have tried to search out relevant and up to date information before I ask questions but it is sometimes so difficult and cumbersome I give up and get prompt and helpful answers when I post on the forum.

Cheers
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637577

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 20:36

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 20:36
Haven't read all the way to the end yet so if somebody else has mentioned this further down I'll get over it.

As new people come on board new ideas, expertise and experiences are shared.

Yes a topic may be repeated or in some cases regurgitated but these new people may just know a lot more than some of the old timers. So treat all questions and those asking the question the respect they deserve.

And yes I do miss the banter of old but I got over it and moved with the times.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637717

Reply By: Gramps - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 07:34

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 07:34
If there were no repeat questions, this site would die.

As others have said, if you don't like the topic, don't open it. If you don't want to answer a repeat question, don't. Plenty of others are willing to answer repeat questions. It's not as if there is only one expert on any particular subject raised on this Forum.

Regards
AnswerID: 370247

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:54

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:54
Try again

"If there were no repeat questions, this site would die"
Thats why search doesnt work on any forum... same question 120,000 times.. then they always end off track.
someone will ask about a tyre, 10 posts later, the thread is about skydiving...
FollowupID: 637602

Follow Up By: Gramps - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 15:34

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 15:34
LOL g'day Truckie. Good to see you're still checking in every so often.

FollowupID: 637643

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 15:35

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 15:35
... just a pigment of your imagination... :P

how ya been?
FollowupID: 637644

Follow Up By: Gramps - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 15:52

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 15:52
Excellent, but I'm improving hahahahahaha

How you doin?

FollowupID: 637649

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 15:54

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 15:54
Ground hog day here... Ground hog day here... Ground hog day here... Ground hog day here...
FollowupID: 637652

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 22:09

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 22:09
Well said Gramps
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 638834

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 07:40

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 07:40
Kim
Mate if that was the case then the Forum would die....literally,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 370248

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 08:20

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 08:20
There was a time when we ALL had to ask questions! So when someone comes to this forum for the first time and asks a question that to him/her is very important, but to most of the rest of us is mundane or "done-to-death".... is it that difficult to simply answer the question? Or ignore the thread..... it's up to you. Much better IMHO that people ask the questions and get some answers than not ask and be unprepared.

If you see a topic that has been covered before, then don't read it.

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 370250

Reply By: Voxson - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 08:22

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 08:22
Kim,
Everyone is entitled to an opinion but i probably would have kept that one to myself.
AnswerID: 370251

Follow Up By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:20

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:20
I couldn't agree more.
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637581

Reply By: Member - Terry W (ACT) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 08:52

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 08:52
As someone who was a new member not all that long ago, let me offer my 2 cents worth. When I started using the site I didn't know what I didn't know, so using the search function was of no practical use. If you don't know what you don't know, how can you search for it?

The main value from this forum for newcomers in my humble opinion is that they can browse the threads and learn what they need to know from other's questions and the replies. I found it extremely valuable to do that, and learned a lot. I still am surprised from time to time by a question asked by someone.

Telling newcomers to do a search instead of asking questions is a sure way to kill off the site or turn it into just a social chat place.

Let's keep it useful and rewarding for newcomers as well as old hands.
AnswerID: 370256

Reply By: Member - Kevin J (Sunshine Coa - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 09:08

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 09:08
In my opinion the only stupid question is the one you haven,t asked and just as you answer the same questions for your grandchildren as they each grow up so we longer term members - note not older - should be happy to be helping the newbies.

One of the problems I perceive is that we tend to think of the forum as "OURS" and resent new people coming into "OUR" forum. This is not unusual and many of you may have had similar experiences in clubs or groups where those who have been around for a while set up an 'ownership' barrier and it ends up with either the newcomers getting frustrated and leaving or they take the reins and the oldies leave because 'they' changed everything.

We humans are a strange bunch.

Read what interests you. Comment where you feel qualified and enjoy the fact that occasionally you learn something.

My grandchildren have all asked the same questions over the years and while my answers may have remained constant their reactions certainly have not.

Kevin J
AnswerID: 370267

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 09:15

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 09:15
Succinctly put......

Cheers
FollowupID: 637572

Follow Up By: takenbyaliens (QLD member) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 09:40

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 09:40
Well said Kevin
I was new here not so long ago and asked some questions that had obviously been asked before. But I got answers either directly or by being directed to threads etc. As others have said, skip over those threads that don't interest you....but I may add that sometimes I find gems of information where I would not have expected!!!
According to modern astronomers, space is finite..a very comforting thought particularly for people who can never remember where they left things

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637576

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:22

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:22
Can I suggest that posters think about what they want to know a bit and put a decent message in the header.

EG Tyres

can mean anything

Whereas

What is an alternative tyre to my 275 x 70 x 8 on a Cruiser.

Tells the reader something.

A lot of posts dont provide enough information to give a reasonable answer.

If you ask the correct questions you stand a far better chance of getting the correct answers.

Just my thoughts on the subject

AnswerID: 370278

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:26

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:26
A valid point Graham, however to quote from above:

"Member - Terry W (ACT) replied:
As someone who was a new member not all that long ago, let me offer my 2 cents worth. When I started using the site I didn't know what I didn't know, "

And therein is one of the reasons why some people would type "Tyres" into a subject heading. It might be that the answers educate them on the differences between A/T's and M/T's....... If memory serves me I believe that I did that very thing 6 or so years ago when I first started using this site.

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 637594

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 16:24

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 16:24
Yes point taken but you must have an idea of what you want to know before you post.
Thats why I say the more info the better and as said in a later post say where you are.

Headers like "What do you think of this" are ridiculous.

The problem is, I think that people themselves know what they want but dont quite know how to express it.

FollowupID: 637660

Reply By: cruza25 - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:25

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:25
hi all

may the operators of this great site could alter the forum to be like the trader is split into sections

ie
general chat
power and solar
destinations
road info
tyres
fridges

then maybe easier read info on specific areas

just an idea---------- may be too hard???

mik
AnswerID: 370285

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:01

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:01
Of thye could amke the fridge, tyre, power etc threads, "sticky"
FollowupID: 637604

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:07

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:07
wen they git all stiky will it stil will get ova the keybord an make it hard to cleen ??
FollowupID: 637605

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 14:33

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 14:33
Try again a bit slower ....

Or they could make the fridge, tyre, power etc threads, "sticky"

FollowupID: 637632

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 15:57

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 15:57
cruza25

thats been suggested so many times over the last 5-6yrs it aint funny! makes life simple for everyone. You want tyre info, go to tyre section and look through few dozen posts.. instead of lookin through 23904r820349802984029384023984 posts on shoelaces...
FollowupID: 637654

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:35

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:35
Hi Kim,
I'm going to answer the repeat question scenario from an entirely different perspective other than the narrow view of this forum.

In my day job I work in an obscure part of Electrical Engineering called Industrial Process Control.

I do sales, marketing, tech support, trouble shooting, engineering, programming, electrical design, electrical trouble shooting and general gophering on a range of programmable industrial controllers made by the company I work for.

Do you have any idea how many times per day I answer what on the surface appears to be the same question asked by different customers?

Everytime I'm asked a question I notice there is a subtle slant to suit the end users situation, just as every question asked on this forum has a subtle slant to suit the end users situation.

These situations could be the way the equipment is applied, the owners budget or small environmental differences.

If one approaches repeat questions with the right mind set and looks for the subtle variations in each one it actually enhances the answerers knowledge of the situation too.

All the above really states is the only stupid question is one that is never asked.

So folks ask away, if I don't have the answer for the poster or it's outside my knowledge i just move on.

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 370289

Follow Up By: Luke SA - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:45

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:45
Spot on there Geoff.

Before I ask a Q I usually do a search but as you said they usuallyend up in the wrong direction.
FollowupID: 637612

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 08:03

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 08:03
Hi Geoff What do you do.
Ian
FollowupID: 637765

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 09:08

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 09:08
Hi Ian,
Some would say I do as little as possible and others would agree.

Basically I'm in a fairly specialised are of electrical engineering as I stated above.

I help people to make things is probably the best answer.

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637779

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 09:57

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 09:57
To respond in working hours covers the first line of your answer.

I asked as I was thinking about what you do and if I didnt ask it would be the nucleus of a stupid question so I asked.

Now when you go to Innaminka next week at the end of the day when having a cold beer at the pub ask if Amy Manns is there and if she is tell her her mother Gwen said to say hello.
She is a Ringer (Jillaroo) at Innaminka station.
ian
FollowupID: 637793

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:45

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:45
Let's forget the repeat questions.....

I want to complain about the:

POOR SPELLING

BAD GRAMMAR

NO PUNCTUATION....

especially the INAPPROPRIATE USE OF THE APOSTROPHE....

Its driving me nut's.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 370294

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:55

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:55
For that you can only blame THEIR ENGLISH TEACHER!!

corse they waz not lookin an waz playin up_ wunda if they pased the exam,,, probly wood b a polytichen now

wotz a APOSTROPHE is it like prostrate ?

FollowupID: 637603

Follow Up By: Gramps - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 15:32

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 15:32
"Its driving me nut's."

ROFLMAO
FollowupID: 637642

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 09:06

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 09:06
"Its driving me nut's."

I was told that's impossible!

They reckon you're close enough to walk!

Geoff
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 637777

Reply By: Flywest - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 13:30

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 13:30
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Moderation Complaints Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 370305

Reply By: tim_c - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 13:40

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 13:40
Thanks Kim, I was wondering why Mr Top End Traveller was leaving. I think there's quite a lot of merit in almost all the comments above about re-asking old questions to get up to date info, and to get info that is more specific to our personal requirements.

Personally, I find the thread search turns up a lot of irrelevent posts (many of which are also interesting, adding to the time to actually find what I'm looking for!) but perhaps I'm missing something by not knowing how to use the search to its potential? Perhaps the search could be modified to just search thread titles, or in the longer term, tags added so you can restrict the search for threads about particular topics: eg. fridges, or GPS, etc. rather than finding every thread where someone happens to mention that they 'had a beer from the "fridge"'

Most of the "articles" I've looked at are so basic they don't tell me anything I didn't already know, but maybe for some they are a great starting point for info. The site also contains information on road conditions but is generally limited to "closed" or "open" unless some nice member has been thoughtful enough to add comments after travelling the road. On the forum you will prompt people to give very up-to-date and first-hand information that the road conditions section simply could not provide (unless everyone always remembered to post comments on all roads they have recently travelled).

I've seen this site a number of times over the past 4-5 years (was recommended for fuel consumption figures for trips, and also turns up in a number of google searches) but I've only been seriously hanging around I for a couple of months and I think I can also understand where Kim is coming from... sometimes it seems a question appears that was asked just a week ago, or sometimes there seem to be questions that look like someone is too lazy to work out an answer for themselves (eg. which way is longer from Three Ways to Canberra^? - this could be answered fairly quickly by adding up the numbers on the map or checking the routes on Google Maps/Travelmate/GPS - and probably what anyone would have to do to answer the question for your anyway. If the question was "which way is more interesting/scenic etc.?" it would make more sense where first-hand comments are sought)

Kim's list of other sources and my responses are as follows:
1. Using the wealth of information this site provides including the archives (as distinct from the forum) - True, there are many other good parts of this site (I recently discovered the wealth of info in the Treks and the Places that are also listed near the bottom of each Trek page) but many times it's difficult and/or time consuming to actually track down the info you're looking for.
2. Google - Also true, but there is a lot of unreliable info out there. The fact that people turn to the forum shows that the collective opinion of the forum is valued/appreciated/useful.
3. Telephone book - Partly true, it lists suppliers/installers/repairers/etc. but there are some dodgy operators out there and the 'phone book can't give first-hand advice or recommendations that people on the forum will - most business owners will tell you that word of mouth is one of their best (if not THE best) form of advertising, where better to get it than on a forum?
4. Web research - Same as Google but also, a lot of web research will also lead you directly to suppliers/sellers who cannot tell you which is the best doohickey for your specific needs because they have a vested interest to sell you the one they sell. People use the forum to get a whole set of real users' opinions, all in one place - that's what it's here for.
5. Key government information hot lines - some of these are no good if english is your first language! and often they are not really interested to help. Usually they can't see past their own branch of their department and often you'll get a far simpler answer if you can ask someone who's successfully navigated the bureaucracy themselves. Eg. questions appear about interstate rego transfers appear from time to time - why not just call the RTA? Well, you could call three different times and get three different answers, none of which seem particulary relevant. Too often the actual process is different from that described and having the correct documents the first time (instead of just those rattled off by disinterested RTA telephone staff) may save you taking half a day off work, queuing for a couple of hours only to be told that you also need ___ document.

If you want to hear my pet-forum-hate (didn't think so, but here it is anyway!), it's the threads where the title and first line (which appears in the index) have nothing to do with the question "Hey, guess what everyone!..." etc. and questions that are so vague such as "Anyone know a good _____ repairer/installer nearby?" without telling us where in Oz you are! Are you really prepared to drive across Oz for the firm that's recommended?

^ For those who are interested, there is only about 20km difference between travelling via Coober Pedy, Port Augusta, Hay, etc. compared to travelling via Longreach, Brisbane & Sydney.
AnswerID: 370308

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 17:07

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 17:07
tim_c - :-) I nearly booked this out of the library, its a book worth of reply :-). Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 637673

Follow Up By: tim_c - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 17:57

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 17:57
Wait 'til you see the second chapter :)

Yeah, er sorry about that - got a bit carried away didn't I? After all that perhaps people will see all that text and not bother reading it...

You're not the first one to tell me I need to be more concise! :)
FollowupID: 637686

Reply By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 14:20

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 14:20
This is an interesting thread and the responses by and large are not too surprising. Sure there are other ways of finding information, but often things change, and others might have a different perspective which may enrich previous responses to the same or similar questions.

But doesn’t it simply come down to the way we all interact?

I mean, how many of us in our travels have walked into that icon of the Australian Bush, the Pub, and asked a question of the locals that they’ve probably been asked a million times before, or maybe it could just be a yarn around the camp-fire, how many times have we heard the same question? I’m sure we’d all be taken back if told to go and ‘Google it’ before we ask next time, besides where would that lead us in terms of social interaction?

…so maybe the forum is just an extension of the Outback Pub..or camp-fire chat.

At times, before responding to a question some could do well to consider a quote from Plato (427BC -347BC)

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something”.

Good luck out there…….
AnswerID: 370314

Follow Up By: Nargun51 - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 17:17

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 17:17
The Pub allusion is perfect!

Many years ago when a similar issue came up in another forum, somebody came up with the pub analogy as the perfect yardstick to measure posts

If your comment or response would earn you a punch in the face in person why do you expect it to be any different on the forum?

It may be better to shut up or at least temper your response with a different use of language

If you have an issue, mention it for discussion, but to harp on and on will have people moving to the other end of the bar

To not listen to other people responses proves you have a love of your own voice (the other end of the bar is getting a bit crowded)

To be a know-it-all about everything…ditto

To constantly express opinions that you cannot support or justify, expect someone to respond forcefully (or move to the other end of the bar)

Keep this up and you could be drinking with the flies

To come in to purposely cause trouble; expect the barman to kick you out
FollowupID: 637679

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 17:08

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 17:08
My father taught me to ask questions, no matter how ridiculous, stupid or trivial it may seem, If you don't ask you'll never know. Yes, do your research first to the best of your ability, if that fails you, then go ahead and ask.
I read most threads and posts, some are of interest and others aren't. It doesn't worry me if it contains chit chat or a little off topic, I just glance over them. I don't get annoyed by it, I just move along.
I don't know why some people get so hung up on the chit chat thing, it's just people being social, its in our nature to say G'day and ask how your going, or how the cook is and the billy lids or about your trip/planned trip is going.

I've learnt a lot from just watching threads and I believe the vast majority of people do to. And every now and then if I can help someone else, it means I give a little bit back to the site and it's users.

AnswerID: 370347

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 18:21

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 18:21
Gidday

First of all, my post was not meant to discourage questions nor give an opinion on the content of the site. Equally, it’s important to make new comers aware of the useful information already contained within the site, and I think that should be promoted. Particularly with new ideas, and input from viewers/members.

Traffic to the site is a commercial reality, and only a fool would argue otherwise. Having said that, quality and diversity is just as important. I base this premise on the simple fact that repetition, without colour generally has an effect on any web site in the long term.

In all fairness I’ve placed posts on here after doing a lot of research, and found the question answered within a couple of minutes. One in particular had me sitting back in the chair thinking ‘How did I miss that’.

My post probably wasn’t articulated very well, but I still stick to the key message:

1. Encourage colour and diversity.
2. Use the available resources first.

Most of you weren’t too happy with the post, but I’ve got to have my say.

Regards

Kim

AnswerID: 370368

Reply By: Rockape - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 19:48

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 19:48
Kim,
Been having trouble with my computor, all is right now after I hit it with a hammer.

Simple statement is!!!!!!
You were not put on this earth to live up to my expectations
and I was not put here to live up to yours.

If we have different points of view or if we agree it doesn't matter.

AT LEAST WE HAVE A POINT OF VIEW AND ARE NOT AFRAID TO STATE IT.

I disagree with you but that doesn't make me right, I just think along different lines.

This is what a forum is about, along as there is no abuse there should be no problem.

So to everyone harden up and get on with it

Have a good one
AnswerID: 370388

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 19:53

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 19:53
That should read "as long as there is no abuse"
FollowupID: 637703

Follow Up By: Krakka - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 06:24

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 06:24
Howdy Rockape, Be careful. Using capital letters as you have,
"AT LEAST WE HAVE A POINT OF VIEW AND ARE NOT AFRAID TO STATE IT"

Is a form of abuse, it is considered to be SHOUTING. LOL

Couldn't help it.

Cheers
Krakka
FollowupID: 637755

Follow Up By: Rockape - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 06:34

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 06:34
Yes mate I know it is shouting.

If you read the statement it says "we" so I am abusing myself ( don't know if that statement came out right)

Mate! The statement I made was to highlight a sentence that's all.

Have a good one.

FollowupID: 637756

Reply By: Flywest - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 01:22

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 01:22
I find it "interesting" that there appears to be an expectation that a poster should "justify" his post to another who either has a different life experience or holds an alternate view.

This issue does BUG me, with forums threads, where IF a reader doesn't agree with a stated opinion, he or she feels the need to post their demand for "justification" because they don't agree and want everyone reading and posting, to agree wth THEIR particular point of view.

This is NOT the school yard - where there is ONLY one right question and it's the one the teacher says is right and we have to argue about it ad nauseum until we all agree 100% on everything!

That type of approach to forms threads is so immature.

Every Poster has their own opinion on a subject based on THEIR specific life experience.

To share that opinion willingly and then be "attacked for it" is NOT conducive to further involvement or expression of opinion.

We should as adults be able to agree to disagree about a subject and move on - there may well be other topics about which we do agree / share common beliefs etc.

Where every thread descends into needless attacks on one or more posters who hold different opinions - is so immature and helps drive people away.

Basically when someone asks / posts a question, you SHOULD be able to respond with your advice / opinion, or what your life experience has taught you and leave it at that!

Why should anyone have to "justfy" their opinion because someone else disagrees?

Surely the poster is allowed the freedom of choice to sift thru all the replies and select those peices of opinion, advice etc that THEY wish to extract from the thread and make whatever decision they choose to follow - without having to get all thread contributors general agreement with, his or her proposed course of action.

It GENERALLY appears that a LOT of the younger crowd these days, want fast food / instant reposne, type advice, in no more than 2 sentences of words no more than 4 letters and two syllables in length.

Hungry Jacks and their Mobile Phone text is the extent of their attention span and degree of interest.

An older person might have a lifetimes experience with the subject they asked about and be prepared to share all of that in a response.

The often quite rude younger set, will just post "TMI" (too much information) for their pea brain retention, comprehension, capability and skip the reply, not bothering to even say "Thanks" or read the detailed reply.

The younger set don't have the divine right to turn the internet and forums etc into their own form of instant response Mobile Phone text speak domain and run those with different methods of communicating off the forums with such "justification demand" type harrassement.

It shows a total lack of respect for age and experience.

Maybe theres a need for "separate" forums based on age or intellectualability & communications skills - where the kiddy texters can interact discussing the most important issue of the day (Pinks new fashion pants) and the rest of us interested in assiting others and learning about travel and 4wd in Australia can communicate in an intelligent fashion.

Surely those without the requisit skills to communicate effectively and politely -on these forums can get all the 4wd and outdoor advice they need on facebook and myspace, twitter etc?

Keeping the forums for those who wish to communicate in a grown up manner, agree to disagree, without getting into "forum rage" etc might be a really good start.

Add in the forum decifiency's in lack of emoticons to convey mood - is probably partly responsible for people not taking posts in the way the author intended.

This is the world wide web - you will get participants from all nations and walks of life and they all have to get on for it to work. Not everyone HAS to be an ocker and adhere to bogan or ocker standards to be able to post here.

Those from different age classes and cultural backgrounds, will probably not get along well - where our Ozzie language is not their native tongue and where we all have different expectations about what is and is NOT acceptable internet/forums ettiquette due to cultural or age divide.

Sometimes those demanding the loudest and most, often have little real knowledge of what the correct etiquette really is for communications in an international forum of the world wide web.

Thats why we have mods and admins etc - to sort out the mess!
Their job would be a lot easier, IF we ALL had the same expecations, as them.
Standby for the next issue of war n peace! ;o)

Cheers!
AnswerID: 370444

Follow Up By: Member - Amy G (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 09:06

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 09:06
It may be useful for Exploroz to keep things coherent by having a set of guidelines for correct use of grammar etc when posting. I am one of that younger generation you mention in your post but there are plenty of us who can't stand text speak and have the ability to form a coherent sentence!

I am a member of another (non-4WD/camping-related) forum where the guidelines for use of English in posting are clearly outlined and text-speak is banned. Any new posts that use text-speak or aren't intelligible are edited by the moderators and the poster is notified. As a result all posts on the board are clear and legible and the offenders do not re-offend.

Those posting questions using poorly constructed sentences may also find they get better responses when people can understand their questions (I know that I often do not read past the first sentence when there are no commas, full stops or similar).

I think that attributing harrassment and want of justification (even generally, as you mentioned) to the younger generation is rather unfair, particularly when there is nothing revealing the age of each poster on their posts- in my somewhat limited experience on this forum it is usually the result of a few bullies who are quite clearly not in their 20s.

That's my two cents, I am hopping off of my grammar high horse now...
FollowupID: 637778

Follow Up By: tim_c - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 12:44

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 12:44
Flywest, I hear where you're coming from - we shouldn't have to prove that we are worthy of posting. Perhaps what you have touched on is our tendency that we all like to be able to convince others to share our opinion because the more people we can sway, the more sure we are that we were right afterall. HOWEVER, it is very important to be able justify opinions. If an opinion can't stand up to scrutiny, it's really not worth much. It is always good to have a certain amount of skepticism (don't just believe everything someone tells you). The difficulty is not simply questioning someone's opinion, but doing it respectfully.

I'm 29 and I completely agree that the literary standards of the younger generation are grossly lacking, and more seriously, so too is their respect for older people in general. HOWEVER (again), I find it very interesting that you seem to attribute (generally) most of the 'attacks' to the younger crowd - the most memorable (and childish) attacks I have seen against other forumites were by someone who is old enough to have fathered me, legitimately.

As for Amy's advice: "It may be useful for Exploroz to keep things coherent by having a set of guidelines for correct use of grammar etc when posting." Wasn't this the responsibility of your Primary and Secondary school english teachers?! ExplorOz is not an educational institution (even though we are all here to learn) and teaching english, spelling and grammar is far beyond the area of their responsibility.

FollowupID: 637817

Follow Up By: Nargun51 - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 13:54

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 13:54
Flywest,

You stated

“This issue does BUG me, with forums threads, where IF a reader doesn't agree with a stated opinion, he or she feels the need to post their demand for "justification" because they don't agree and want everyone reading and posting, to agree wth (sic) THEIR particular point of view.

This is NOT the school yard - where there is ONLY one right question and it's the one the teacher says is right and we have to argue about it ad nauseum until we all agree 100% on everything!”

“Basically when someone asks / posts a question, you SHOULD be able to respond with your advice / opinion, or what your life experience has taught you and leave it at that!

Why should anyone have to "justfy" (sic) their opinion because someone else disagrees?”

I have a different perspective; I want to learn from other people’s opinions and to do so I need to know the basis for them…they might have knowledge that I don’t possess, have experiences that I have never experienced or are making assumptions that I have never considered. I need to know what has formed their opinions so I can explore them. Only then, can I can judge the appropriateness of the opinions and possibly of even adopting them. I will question the proofs and logic behind them. To learn from these opinions and to integrate these into a cohesive world view I need to challenge what is presented to me

I also find that by explaining and justifying my opinions to those that challenge me can force me to fully explore and articulate my viewpoint. This process opens up the logic, assumptions and biases behind my opinions. That is one reason I willing accept anything I express to being challenged (logically and with sufficient proof)

English is a living language and changes on a daily basis; I rue the loss of some slang and usage I grew up with, but readily adopt modern usage as well. To freeze English usage in time essentially emasculates the ability for the language to be used as a tool to reflect the world in which we live (However, I use paragraphs on my text messages, but am old enough to remember cutting words out in a telegram to stay under minimum charges)

I would love to fully express my opinion (to the limit of my vocabulary within common usage, accepted “proper” usage and “Strine”) but the moderation policy would quite appropriately delete my post.

I will, however, paraphrase it: “If your not willing to put up, shut up”
FollowupID: 637828

Follow Up By: Member - Amy G (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 20:30

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 20:30
Tim, Flywest lamented the use of text speak, which is what my post primarily addressed. I wholly agree that it is not up to Exploroz to teach us how to write properly- however, a "no text speak" or similar policy goes a long way to keeping things coherent. It was a suggestion that I have seen work successfully on other forums and I thought may help to address some of Flywest's complaints. I think you have misunderstood what I said.
FollowupID: 637893

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 21:32

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 21:32
Well put Nargun51, and if I may say so, very well articulated;-)

I am of a similar disposition, in that while some things are self-evident, if someone says to me "I have a better mousetrap than yours", I will ask them to demonstrate to me, why they think it is better..

I will then make up my own mind (based on the evidence presented) whether (or not) it is indeed, a better mousetrap..

If I still think my mousetrap is the better one, then I shall attempt to illustrate my reason for thinking so...

And so it goes on..............

;-))

Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 637904

Follow Up By: tim_c - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:31

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:31
Amy, yes & sorry, I had misunderstood you! I'm all for "no text speak" because I believe it is the result of a lazy and selfish disrespect for the reader(s): "I can't be bothered typing proper words/sentences for you". An attitude of respect considers the audience/reader and writes in such a way as to communicate clearly to that particular audience/reader. I can understand why text-speak originated - it's a pain trying to type a 26 letter alphabet using only 8 buttons, but predictive text should have all but eliminated text speak by now.

I worked in a project team with the technical director of an international company (in other words, not a pleb) and he'd send these cryptic one line emails with no punctuation or capitalisation, etc. and it would take me longer to work out what he was trying to say than it would have taken him just to write properly in the first place, but he didn't care... And he obviously didn't care too much about his professional image either.
FollowupID: 637955

Reply By: RV Powerstream P/L - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 10:08

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 10:08
My spelling is by no means perfect but I have noticed the use or the word harassment in this post by people supposedly wanting better English better spelling and etc etc etc.

So to be so perfect should I spell it as harrassment.

Good on you Kim it worked you are a marketing communications participation genious .

Ian
AnswerID: 370473

Reply By: The Landy - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 15:06

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 15:06
Hi Kim

Whether people agree or disagree with your post I congratulate you on posting it because it certainly generated plenty of interest and debate and there is nothing wrong with that.

I indicated previously that I am a fan of people asking questions, regardless of how many times or variations of it are asked, if only because it might be enriched by a different perspective from a completely different person.

Some, at times, would do well to steer away from responding to the posts you describe unless they can contribute something to the question at hand, unfortunately all too often ‘newbies’ are put off by the ‘check the search engine’ type responses….but I digress.

The point I would like to make is that many who have information to contribute should do so by writing a blog on the topic and posting it in the blogs area. This site has members who have knowledge and experience that is as diverse and numerous as the membership base itself.

Why not write a blog covering topics of interest, commonly asked questions, remedies to problems etc, and post it to the appropriate section. This is one way members can contribute their experience in a meaningful way, without having to answer the same question all the time.

Personally, the blog section of this site is one of my favourites and I probably spend more time in there then anywhere else given the diversity of topics covered.

As a matter of interest there are 965 blog entries and a combined total viewing of just under 350,000, so many people do look at them.

All the best…..
AnswerID: 370512

Reply By: Member - Flynnie (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 20:51

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 20:51
I agree with Geoff about the subtle difference in each question. Also there is a lot of scope to vary the answer, to put a more complete or clearer answer than last time. In other words to take the opportunity to add to the forum, to add to the collective knowledge.

There are a lot more people who read the answers than the one person who asked the question so in answering a question or contributing we are writing to a vastly larger number of people than the one person who asked. Others in the future will read it from the archives long after we have lost interest or maybe even changed our views as a result of later experience.

There was an interesting thread on manual or auto transmissions recently where there was a mix of hard line views in favour of one or the other, technical views and some pragmatic ones. Combined those contributions covered the topic very well, in my opinion. More important than the opinion was why they had it, what factors or experience shaped it. These insights should remain valuable for readers until the technology moves on to other transmissions in years ahead.

One thing the forum is not about is "it's Wednesday night - not much to do - log on to exploroz - nothing new - who can I stir up in the forum to fill in some time before I go to bed". I had enough of that happening to my and other peoples posts years ago when the internet was very young and have not posted anything anywhere for 15 or so years until joining exploroz. Having posts attacked in a public areas puts one off for a long time. It is fortunate that now there are codes of conduct and moderators.

While I agree with some that without some banter the forum is a bit flat this is a price well worth paying to keep the forum interesting to a broader audience and for the longer term.

AnswerID: 370578

Reply By: OzTroopy - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 00:05

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 00:05
The amount of threads on this forum ..... and many others ... that has had me thinking the exact same thing as Kims starter post comments - is rather huge.

The style of writing of some posters ( various forums ) leads me to presume that, rather than take a moment to learn something - they are relying on being "told" how to do something ... and the helpful info received from someone will be discarded as soon as it is used.

Constant new threads on the same general topics make also searching a time wasting endeavour ( as opposed to a waste of time )

I much prefer a system where a thread can be resurrected which in effect updates old info by the addition of new ... and also reduces the number of threads to be trawled through. Of course that system still relies on people taking the time to have a bit of a look before posting a new thread.

Additionally, "searching" is a form of studying a topic IMHO ... and the info will be retained a lot longer when one has to do some work to find it. Hints and tips on where to find it are always a good thing - and I am forever grateful to those that include links in their thread responses.

There is nothing wrong with asking a question ... I just think as much effort should go into the question as what is required in answer. e.g. something like ...

"I just bought a toyssanwu - what tyres should I have ?"

Is one I will generally bypass in favour of someone asking a similiar question in reference to their area of use and driving style.

Lets face it ... if some has just bought something with no idea of its application or abilities ... should they have bought it ???
AnswerID: 371600

Sponsored Links