Chainsaw Chaps - for arms?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 14:35
ThreadID: 69871 Views:4059 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Had a guy round to high prune dates bunches & dead fronds from a date palm tree - using an elevated work platform (cherry picker).

I noticed he didn't wear any chainsaw chaps and mentioned it to him - that he could protect his legs well with them from any follow thru cut injuries with his small pruning chainsaw that he uses one handed - while he hangs onto the branches / fronds with the other hand.

He said that he should and will get some - BUT that the steel safety rails of the work platform pod pretty well protect his legs from follow thru cuts so far in his experience.

What he wants to find (but can't) is the same aramid fibre material in "protective sleeves" for his forearms (leather welding gloves don't offer a LOT of protection from a chainsaw) and he has already badly cut his forearm once.

I've been searching under "chainsaw chaps" on google etc and can't yet find any protective wear for forearms & chest area etc for chainsaw pruning with small saws and one handed operation etc typical of the task. (They hold the branches one handed to stop them dropping on houses, fences and 'delicate' garden plants / ornaments etc below).

Does any one know of where appropriate aramid fibre protective gear for the upper body, chest, forearms etc can be sourced?

I said I'd try and locate something for the old guy, but have struck a blank in my searches thus far.

Thanks & cheers in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 14:44

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 14:44
Hi Flywest, not sure if this is of any help, but as I have a (metal) machine shop, some of my employees wear Kevlar gloves. I buy them from an industrial safety supply company, maybe they have something that would suit the application of the gardener. I think butchers buy gloves that are sort of like a modern version of chain mail armour, so I would think there is something around to suit the situation. Kevlar gloves won't stop a chainsaw, but maybe there is something there from that type of supply company. Blackwoods has an extensive catalogue, I use Protetctor All Safe in Newcastle NSW.
No affiliation etc.
Whacker
AnswerID: 370318

Reply By: Mick15 - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 18:28

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 18:28
something like these?! Found the link on arboristsite.com
Arm Chaps
Its not the aramid fibre of the leg chaps, but i'd say more likely to be designed to protect against abrasion with branches etc
AnswerID: 370369

Reply By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 18:31

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 18:31
Fly West

Chainsaw Arm Chaps

Its all in the earch keywords :-) This was my first site Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 370370

Reply By: Flywest - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 00:42

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 00:42
Thanks one and all - me and puters don't get along - I have Phat Phingers Syndrome where I hit multiple keys at the same time. I was born & schooled in the age before TV, Pocket Calculators, and digital watches...figuring of we had killed all the electronics inventor people we wouldn't have had to put up with the age of 'puters and I could still be hapilly using my abacus and slide rule!!

Ipods, TV remotes, and programming vidoes etc are de debils workI tell you! ;o)

Thanks again!

I ain't too smart, but i can lift heavy things!

Cheers!
AnswerID: 370443

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 18:32

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 18:32
:-) Puters are buggers OK! Your boat is a lot bigger & better then mine :-) That makes you a real success story in my books. Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 637860

Sponsored Links