wollondilly river station

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 18:50
ThreadID: 69888 Views:8104 Replies:10 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone been to Wollondilly River Station? (spelling?)
im thinking about going there for a weekend with the misses and the dogs in mid July.

How are the grounds there and are there 4wding tracks around there that we could explore?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - "The Doctor" (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 19:09

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 19:09
Gday Greg,

Went there last year around april. Great little spot. The Wombeyan Caves road to W/Dilly is pretty ordinary but that makes the trip. Great scenery as you decend into the valley. The website claims there's no need to book, so we didnt but the care taker got pretty irate when we rocked up without booking. So ya best off ringing. The camping spots are well spread out so your not on top of each other. As far as 4WDing goes, the river was running pretty fast and high when we were there so we couldnt cross it. But theres seems to be enough there to keep ya honest.

Have fun, and remember to book.
AnswerID: 370378

Follow Up By: Member - John M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 19:21

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 19:21
Hi Greg

We wen't there a couple of times a few years back, very nice spot for family and dogs etc. but as above, make sure you book as they get a bit upset if you turn up unexpected.
For some better driving go past the caves and go on to Limeburners Creek, great camping spot, some good tracks, can ride motor bikes, camp on the creek (go accross the creek) to a great secluded camp area if you want to be alone with the bride. Plenty of wombats and wildlife and take the track out back to Oberon or Jenolan Caves.
It gets very cold this time of the year, nice with a glass or 2 of red and cuddle close to the bride.
First time I went there we took our baby seagull Sedna (yes seagull - I am known to be a bit out of the sguare), he / she had a great time in the creek.

Have a great time.

Regards
John

Hope you have a great time.
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 637696

Follow Up By: johannagoanna - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 21:00

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 21:00
Limeburners is actually closed at the moment, so don't head up there!

FollowupID: 637722

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 21:19

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 21:19
We have been there a couple of times, great spot but as others have mentioned the owner is a cranky bugger. If you look at their website you would think someone else was running it as you get the impression they are very hospitable.

Still worth going though but book.
AnswerID: 370415

Reply By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 22:35

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 22:35
Once you get to your site you will certainly enjoy the stayImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
The outback calls

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 370429

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 20:29

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 20:29
G'day Robin and Charlie,

Looks like you were camped with some other people with good taste (in camper trailers).... hahahahaha

Hope you are both keeping well. My redundancy takes effect soon ; 13/7

Regards from all of us here at the Roach household..

Roachie
FollowupID: 637891

Reply By: steve21 - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 09:14

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 09:14
like others we rocked up there few years ago with no booking, guy got cranky so told him to shove it, try Wombeyan Caves campsite. much better no hastle.
AnswerID: 370465

Reply By: Member - Jo Q (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 12:00

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 12:00
Was one of the first places I went when i first bought my camper trailer - as mentioned road in a bit how you going - but a very scenic drive with great views. I went this time of year on a Thursday - it was freezing cold and there was absolutely no one else there - including the owners when we arrived. He eventually showed up on his own, I had booked, but he had no record of it and was in what seems to be his permanent state - cranky!
Being on my own with my daughter, no one else there and just a cranky caretaker, it wasn't one of my most comfortable camping experiences and I would not return on my own again. Images from Wolf Creek turned the 2 night stay into 1. We spent the rest of the weekend at Wombeyan caves campground that was fantastic.
In saying all this I would definitely go back with a group of friends, nice spot.
AnswerID: 370487

Reply By: Member - Gary J (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 17:08

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 17:08
We went up there last year and had a great time. I think it was March so the weather was good. If people are talking about the owner being cranky, if you had as much surgery and scarring as this poor devil, I reckon you have an excuse.
I actually found him quite OK once you treated him with respect.
He even gave me good advice on cooking with a camp oven.
cheers
AnswerID: 370530

Reply By: Oztravellers - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 22:23

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 22:23
I like camping there, but in winter it gets down to minus six degrees overnight. My tip is to camp on the Wombeyan side of the river, as this area gets the early morning sun first. If you camp on the eastern side you won't get the morning sun (in winter) until about 9.30am. There is no collectible wood in the area! Also there are drop toilets and you are'nt supposed to tow caravans down the windy dirt road into the place. But I'd still go back there.
AnswerID: 370591

Reply By: Africampers - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 03:46

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 03:46
Hi Greg I've camped there twice this year - but won't be back again soon. The camping itself is pretty good - large fairly flat sites and open fires allowed. You can purchase firewood from the owner. But beware - abuse and swearing is guaranteed from Brian the owner. Contrary to the website - don't take the carp that you catch back to Brian - don't ask him for recommended off-road routes (especially if you drive a Prado like my friend - Brian told him that he 'shouldn't be taking that piece of s*** off-road') - when you purchase firewood from him don't start loading it into your vehicle before he tells you to...) Truly an unpleasant character. Will give it a break for some time - hopefully Brian will get over his injuries and get some social skills.
AnswerID: 372728

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 18:36

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 18:36
It's all been said. ;)
AnswerID: 372794

Reply By: Member - Greg T (ACT) - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 06:47

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 06:47
a big thanks to all for their guidance about the camp.

i am going to find another place now. i dont want to go to a place where the owner is a cranky so and so. it doesn't make any trip enjoyable.

i wonder when he will realise that his hospitality is scaring off customers.

ahh... where to go? the wife and i were thinking about Lowden Forest Park. in Tallaganda (spelling?) State Park
AnswerID: 372870

Sponsored Links