Stabiliser Bars

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 19:28
ThreadID: 6989 Views:1510 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have just had to replace a rear link in my stabiliser bar in my 60 Series. I was told that I could have disconnected them and this would have little effect. My Questions about these are. What is there purpose? what would happen if I disconnect them as we are travelling to the Cape next week with a reasonably heavy load
BW
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 20:08

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 20:08
Stabilising bars only help going around corners, they help to prevent excessive body roll ("Range Rover" syndrome) by tying one wheels suspension to the opposite wheel through a torsion bar spring (the sway bar/stabiliser bar/anti-roll bar, whatever you want to call it). Removing them will not affect the load carrying capacity of the vehicle, but it would be very wise to slow down a bit more than you would have been used to going around corners when fully laiden, as the higher center of gravity and the lack of the stabiliser bar will induce a rollover earlier.

The advantage of having them disconnected is that it allows more wheel articulation off road at the expense of lower stability on road.
AnswerID: 29924

Sponsored Links