ayer creek bypass

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 15:11
ThreadID: 69912 Views:2412 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
a few questions, is the bypass still in place?
if it is, any idea when it wont have to be used?
is it sand/ hard going?
heading off across the simo in 5 weeks and want to know if to budget for extra fuel for the bypass,

has any one got any current conditions across the desert,easier/harder than normal, or just normal;)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 18:04

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 18:04
Jeff, I can only tell you a friend crossed Eyre Crk about 10 days ago and he said it was more than knee deep. Beaut part of the creek. IMO it's better if you have to go up there and cross - we intend to camp there next time, if water flowing of course. cheers
AnswerID: 370542

Reply By: Cougar Tag-Along-Tours Pty. Ltd. - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 19:10

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 19:10
there 2 weeks ago good drive on both sides up and back.hard rocky bottom on the crossing bed , about hub deep , not a problem to cross .Remember to cool your car down before you hit the water,you dont want your wheel seals to suck in water. the french line from the west to east is very sandy on top of the rises. Very slow going ,average15to 20kms per hour.As a indicator 4.2diesiel patrol used 135 litres fr om mt dare to .Birdville. a nissan navara diesiel used 105 litres ,ford explorer petrol used 140 litres.hope this helps
AnswerID: 370558

Reply By: Member - Glenn H (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 19:44

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 19:44
Jeff, take a look at thread 69626 which has pix and comments. Maybe the water has dropped by now, in which case there's no point going the extra 60km to cross at the rocky bypass. But the usual crossing looked pretty muddy so take the extra fuel just in case. Better pack the doona 'cos it's cold in the desert in July!! cheers, Glenn
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 370565

Reply By: Member - Mark C (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 08:00

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 08:00
yeah mate heres the info u want.
we were at eyre creek on 6th june and back through on 7th june on return trip from birdsville to poeppel corner.
the bypass is definately still in place and by the depth of the water in the original eyre creek crossing could be for months.
my son who is over 6ft walked through and it was near up to hisupper chest if he was female he would have needed a dry bra lets say.
muddy slippery entry and bottom. If closer to home would have tried it but everything would get soaked and that MAN recovery truck in birdsville lookes expensive to hire!!
the first half of the bypass is great 3rd gear stuff easy on the station track but the western half is just a track made through the desert and becoming very rough 1st an 2nd most of the way back to main track. Allow three hours extra and about 60kms of extra fuel. No hard going or big dunes.
AnswerID: 370619

Sponsored Links