I am no sparky but this doesn’t make sense

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 19:52
ThreadID: 69922 Views:2288 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all

Roughly 2 years ago my front passenger side window switch stopped working. Not a big deal I can open and close from the driver side. So yesterday I thought it’s time to get it fixed for once. I pulled out the left hand side switch and went down to Mr Nissan and got a new switch $34 not to bad I thought and I was happy with an easy fix. Straight after work tonight I was very excited and raced home to install the new switch but my plan went down the drain very quickly.

Couple of things:
Up or down from driver side doesn’t work for that window now. Only down works on the new switch, which opened up a whole can of worms because I some how had to get the window back up. Pull door trim off and started scratching my head looking at all the wires. Finally worked out the 5 wires going into the switch, what they do and where they come from…still nothing. I traced the wires going to the window motor and there was only 2 going in there. Put a positive and negative wire onto the motor and whola down she goes, reversed them and whola up she went…..scratching head very hard at this point. Used the multi meter to check volts at the switch and that was reading fine. Then I discovered there was an earthing problem as soon as I used another home made wire from the body of the car to one of the up/down wires on the switch while flicking the switch the window worked.

I am out of ideas. I really don’t want to give Mr Nissan my money.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DesF - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 20:05

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 20:05
Hi Troll, I had much the same problem with the pass window on my Pajero, I finally tracked it down to a couple of wires being broken in the loom where it flexed when opening and closing the door, the wires were broken inside the plastic outers, I opened up the loom and I only found it when I pulled on the loom when checking it, I had to pull each wire individually at the bend and the ones that stretched were the ones with the wires broken in side, a bit of soldering and all is good ,
Just some thing maybe you could check.
Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 370572

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 20:23

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 20:23
Thanks Des will check that
FollowupID: 637887

Reply By: Member - sdr00y (Beecroft,NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 21:29

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 21:29
As was mentioned, try the loom in the door hinge. But also try putting your original switch back in. I would guess the problem lies with the movement of the loom not a switch that is in the door.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 370584

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 21:33

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 21:33
Troll
Sounds like you might have a faulty left window switch in drivres side switchs as the left side switch gets a earth through the drivers switch when it is in the rest position. It is some times possible pull them apart and clean the contacts. Hope this makes sense
Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 370585

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 09:10

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 09:10
Hey Murray,

The left one was working on the driver side until I took the passenger side out?
FollowupID: 637941

Reply By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 00:39

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 00:39
Was the battery disconnected at any time? Do you need to reset the power windows or something maybe?
AnswerID: 370605

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 09:11

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 09:11
I didn't try that but wouldn't have thought the windows go through the computer?
FollowupID: 637942

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 08:59

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 08:59
Just an update on this

A mate of mine found the problem on the weekend after pulling the main unit apart. On the main switch on the drivers side...looks like the circuit board got overloaded or something at some point but the soldering between 2 contacts got burned out.

Soldered it back on and the whola good as new.
AnswerID: 371281

Sponsored Links