How Prepared do you think we should be in the city ?

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 09:34
ThreadID: 69937 Views:3785 Replies:7 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Yesterday was an interesting day news wise, as finally 2 years
after the world made its decision the US congress has finally accepted that "Climate change is here now and is primarily
caused by human activity and is accelerating." The statements went on to say that Australia is at the most risk of developed countries and that the change was directly responsible for about 300,000 deaths last year.
In an unusual corresponding statement the mayor of Melbourne advised city office workers to be a little more prepared and keep a torch, water, radio etc near where they work.

Now most of us are pretty prepared as we head out on a camping trip, but how ready, should we be all the time !

We have been helped several times this year by our 4wd/camping setup not out in the bush but in the city.

One example was during Melbournes record breaking heat wave in February.
Our house airconditoning packed up on day one, now normally one might think "big deal".
But then no service people were available, the shops ran out of replacement units, the temperatures went on for days, there was
was no relief anywhere, it was a pleasure to go to work in an air condition office.

Thank goodness for the old fans !
But then the power shedding began ( we actually got a power bill refund for the 25 power outages we had).

At the time our Patrol was configured with a double beds and on the worst night we slept in the car with a 240v fan blowing air through the rear doors via a 12v battery/inverter, and cooked tea on our little 12v oven, topped up sloppy ice-cream from next doors thawing fridge.

Now for us this whole scene could be described as full scale dress rehearsal for our next bush trip.
But we have a 90 year old relative, and neighbors who don't seem to even own a torch - and I can tell you this was no picnic.

We think we are a long way from survivalists but would feel very exposed if our 4wd/camping setup couldn't support us and our cars totally for 2-3 weeks without any outside services.

So what is a reasonable level of general preparedness ?
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: austastar - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:49

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:49
We could go weeks with out power, no need to even move into the camper in the yard.
Gas bottle is usually full (ish) and have a spare in the shed.
There is 5 ton of wood in the firewood rack. Water could be a problem, but there is flowing drinkable water on the mountain about 20 minutes away by vehicle.
We would tackle Melbourne type heatwaves by sleeping downstairs, the house is half underground and well insulated.
Yep 3 weeks with out services would be coped with fairly easily by adapting camping gear and experience.
cheers
AnswerID: 370649

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:16

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:16
Hi Austar

Yep, looks like you'd be okay, I sort of figure that you need to be prepared for
a few more days than the average family to allow for the slow, but eventual reaction by authorites.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 637954

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:53

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:53
The sky is falling!! The sky is falling!! The sky is falling!!!!!!
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 370650

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:16

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:16
You will be ok Michael , I have a spare tent and its got a strong roof pole.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 637953

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:48

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:48
PPHHHEW !! Thanks Robin!!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 637968

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 14:56

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 14:56
Robin,
I know one thing if a major situation occured.. Cash would be King.. If you have cash you can get around most obstacles. There is always someone out there that will see it as a short term problem and try to take advantage of the situation.. Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 637987

Reply By: D200Dug- Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:37

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:37
;-) I remember discussing this with a trendy antique shop owner just before the Y2K thing was supposed to happen.

he said he was fully prepared for anything he had all his supplies ready.

I jokingly said "eh, who cares I have guns, all I need to do is find someone who has made preparations"

A look of real and genuine shock appeared on his face he had not thought in a time of crisis there would be people out there desperate for food and water who would do anything.

We usually keep a few weeks supply of basic food and have the ability to make enough fresh water if required.

I would fill the gerry cans with petrol if things began to look bad and head bush if they got too much worse.

Luckily in Australia most people will help each other out rather than fight.

AnswerID: 370655

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:39

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:39
A good first aid kit is also a must !
FollowupID: 637957

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:01

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:01
Hi Dug

The Y2K was a classic case of things being handled well by the authorites we often critize, but being so well handled many now think that it wasn't real.

Your comments remind us that we need to consider our readiness in depth and have thought through all scenarios.

And camping trips in the bush really do make everyone better preparded.

I like to keep the gerries full though , as this also helps to mimimize the large fuel cost variations we get in Melbourne.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 637961

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:17

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:17
In 1991 we had 10 days cut off from Rockhampton during the floods.

We had no real problems but we still had power and water ..... plenty of water.
FollowupID: 637962

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:42

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:42
G"day Robin,

I think this is an interesting question and one I've been pondering as well - I know we cop a bit of cr@p for raising the issue with others. But whilst you are thinking global warming and heatwaves etc I have been considering trouble on a larger scale with less opportunity to prepare type of scenario. I have a mate that is heavily involved in this state's disaster planning and I get no warm and fuzzy feeling that they have any idea - this is highlighted by the recent swine flu pandamic.

Like you I have felt comforted by the camping gear and caravan setup should there ever be a disaster. A few years ago we had a blackout for the weekend here in Brisbane and I found having a gennie a real life saver. It is very easy to see a complete breakdown of social order in no time when there is no plan.

It is easy to dismiss the likelyhood of such events but I'm happy to have given it some thought and will be prepared.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 370656

Follow Up By: tim_c - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:20

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:20
Too true. Lesson No. 1 from Canberra Bushfires was that the Gov't Disaster planning/control/whatever authority didn't really have much idea and nearly everyone ended up fending for themselves. From reading reports of the hearings so far, I suspect Lesson No. 1 from Vic will be very similar... As you've said, the swine flu pandemic is showing the same thing again.

Personally, I think global warming is the next y2k bug - everyone will spend lots of $$ trying to fix a problem that doesn't really cause the disaster that the scaremongers say it will. When you can control just one volcano, then come back to me and we'll talk about controlling the whole global climate ;)
FollowupID: 637963

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 13:09

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 13:09
Planning is good.

I think now of people I know who will be camping on there burnt out blocks here at Kinglake all through winter. They have a campervan with the pull out canvas ends and were covered in snow last week.
Now the snow has turned to freezing slush and mud with the kids picking up colds so easily.
From the site you can see the big capital city below with millions of warm little houses who together collected $300 million dollars to go to there welfare.

But somehow is just doesn't seem to all work !

(I wrote this before reading your reply Tim - but I think it fits the picture)
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 637970

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 13:31

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 13:31
There are plans for this happening

Just : (1) The Authorities do not usually tell people what the plans are as they can change at any time.

(2) no plan ever works correctly in an emergency situation. A flexible response is the best plan.

There are tents and water purification for most people and enough stored food.

The main problem is with the logistics of getting these resources into a disaster area.

Always plan on being isolated and alone for at least 48 hours before assistance can get to you.

PS the largest earthquake ever recorded in Australia happened in Rockhampton Queensland !
FollowupID: 637972

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 14:55

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 14:55
Being involved in some workgroups it is easy to see why it doesn’t work and the evidence is there for all to see. This by no means takes away from the well intentioned people but unfortunately government is incapable of dealing with huge one of events – their resource models just simply do not allow for it. Being aware of this and knowing that their plan includes compliance through the use of law enforcing bodies it gets a little scary. I’m happy to contemplate some serious camping if there is a bad turn of events. Reckon you’ll have a couple of days to make that decision.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 637986

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 15:10

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 15:10
For your personal plan you really need to look at 2 options "Bug Out" or "Dig In"

No plan ever works 100% but any plan is better than no plan at all.

We live in a lo area we are prepared to move out in time of floods. My cousin lives nearby in a high but high fire risk area.

She would move down here if the risk was fire and we would go up there if the risk was flood.

FollowupID: 637989

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 17:59

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 17:59
G/Day Robin

We are stocked up with all the essentials, re food and equipment ect, and should be able to last some time before replenishing any thing, we live in a residential area, but on the edge of the rural area, my sons both live on acreage with spring fed dams, and some live stock so we all won't go hungry lol, but it's amazing when the power goes off in the area, you see people using candles ect, or just sitting in the dark, and our house is lit up like a christmas tree, with 12 volt lights on leads from a spare battery, and the Cook is using the gas stove ect, yes camping helps at home also.

Cheers
AnswerID: 370722

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 19:48

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 19:48
Hi Daza

Thats the way we like to be, (basically stocked all the time).

Of the 4 people we personnaly know that lost houses in our fires , they had between 4 minutes and up to 1 hour to get out.

No time to go down to the local supermarket , and stock up.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 638033

Reply By: Flywest - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 21:55

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 21:55
Skyscrapers are what would worry me!

After 9/11 I wouldn't work in one above the 10th story UNLESS I had me "the executive chute" designed in japanb after 9/11 TV footage of people trapped on the upper floors of WTC - who jumped to their death.

Yes the "executive chute" at some $900 is a cheap insurance & a wise investement, just keep it under your desk and your good to go should the building be hit by a jet or catch fire etc.

You just strap it on like a backpack - attach the static line to any heavy furniture or fixed point like plumbing etc on the wall or around a pillar - open or break the window, and do the ol "Geronimo" dive out the window, and the Executive shute with its old WW2 round silk canopy will do the rest - taking you safely down to ground level with at worst maybe a twisted ankle 0R - you could get caugfht in the high voltage power transmission lines and fried like a moth on a bug zapper - one has to take ones chances! ;o)

Yep - thats your answer - the executive chute - remember google's your friend.

I have no fiscal association with the executive chute (dammnit I didn't think of it first)!

Cheers
AnswerID: 370783

Reply By: Jedo_03 - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 22:24

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 22:24
Some interesting thoughts in the thread to ponder...

I have to admit that I am sceptical that "Global Warming" is primarily caused by human activity...
There is evidence that in the past 350 million years (long before Homo sapiens) the Earth has gone through periods of heating and cooling, wet and drought.
Aus Prof Ian Plimer (ex Broken Hill) is currently spruking this theory - along with many other scientists...
One must also examine the "evidence" put forward that Global Warming is actually occuring... Take the Antartic Ice Shelf - we are told that it is melting, that the ice-fringe is receding (huge bergs floating north)... But they don't tell us that the opposite side of the shelf is growing larger and thicker...
Anyways - not pouring fat onto the fire...
BUT...
How much "profit" was made by the Y2K "crisis"... I bet billion$ or trillion$ of dollars was paid by people to protect their equipment and lifestyle - for something that didn't even eventuate...
Take the Swine Flu... Coupla weeks ago the Govt "bought" 10 million vials of N1H1antivirus (that hasn't even been developed yet!!) - and today we are told that Swine Flu is affecting people less that the 'normal' flu...
Getting back to Global Warming - we have "Carbon Credits"... LOL
What a blatant Rip-Off...
Penalise coal-buming power stations for pollution - and they pass the cost on to the consumer - we pay more for our electricity...
Or - better yet - you can opt into a GREEN power initiative right now folks...
Pay an extra 10% on your power bills as a Carbon Offset...
For "Carbon Offset" read "Y2K"...
Talking GREEN... Time to scrutinise the motives of this brigade...
On the one hand they expound that their proposed objectives are for the good of the planet... so let's not do burn-off's or clear bracken forests cos that ruins the habitats of rats and snakes... No - leave it all there to burn when the summer Temp is 40+ and the hot wind is blowing...
On the subject of survival in the event of disaster... We have been through this before... We seem to be able to cope with Natural catastrophe... Fire, Flood, Earthquake, Air, Sea, and Land disasters.., But remember the Nuclear Threat..?? - Underground Bunkers..?? 3 weeks supply of food and water..?? Shoot to Kill..?? - I remember...
Our Govt "intelligence" informs us that there is a perceived security threat to our North (how intelligent is that..?? - There is bugger all South of Aus) and that was BEFORE N. Korea started stamping its feet and firing rockets...
A far-more realistic threat than Global Warming...
Our thin-walled Caravans and MotorHomes will afford us little protection from a skyblast and the resulting radiative fall-out - but at least we can open our Generator-Powered Waecos and Engels and quaff our last mouthfull of mother alcohol before the flesh parts from our irradiated bones... and our tears evaporate...
Are you ready..???
Jedo

AnswerID: 370791

Follow Up By: Flywest - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 23:12

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 23:12
Now THATS a tour I'd sign up for - when do we leave?

Can we Nuke Kim Jong Ill's eldest son "Men - Tally Ill", just before we go? ;o)

Hows it go?... i love the smell of Napalm - er...sorry I mean "Nuke Fallout" in the morning!

Cheers

FollowupID: 638087

Sponsored Links