Telegraph Track Conditions

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:24
ThreadID: 69943 Views:2231 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Leaving in 2 weeks. Anyone got any updates. I have checked on all the sites, and seems ok, water still up a big. Even Gunshot looks good this year.

Anyone been through recently?

Jo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 14:05

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 14:05
Just go and enjoy. All will be good.
If not just go around the bad bits, but i have been every year for the last 4 years and never a problem.
Nolans Brook is always deep and soft,,, (approx1000mm)....
But it is a quick in and out.
Cockatoo always wheel height this time of year..
Palm creek southern entry can be bad but the water is shallow...
AnswerID: 370680

Reply By: Member - Glenn H (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 16:47

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 16:47
Hi jogo, go into Places and just type in Telegraph track into the Basic search. This will give you half a dozen creeks with plenty of pix. If you stay 2 nights at Eliot falls you could spend an afternoon doing Canal thru to Cypress and come back for a lovely swim. But watch out for the black snakes at the campsite!!! Cheers, Glenn
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 370709

Reply By: johannagoanna - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 16:55

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 16:55
Thanks guys,

I have been, went two years ago, love it so much, gotta go again!

I am just wondering what the conditions, river heights are like atm??

You know, first hand, just been there type thing. l

JO
AnswerID: 370713

Follow Up By: pmack - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:34

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:34
Hi Jo,
Saw your videos on youtube last night great stuff, Im guessing that was from your last trip. Im heading that way in two weeks as well leaving Cairns on the 8th of July, Check out the Capeyorker forum they have a thread on current track conditions updated by people that live up there.

see ya on the road.
FollowupID: 638124

Follow Up By: johannagoanna - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 22:54

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 22:54
Thanks pmack, yes, video's from trip 2 years ago. I presume you found me by searching with my name 'johannagoanna', if anyone else wants to have a quick look.

I put them up recently so that the others that are travelling with us know what they are in for.

13 sleeps and counting!!

Jo
FollowupID: 638397

Reply By: CJ - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 20:43

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 20:43
Hi there

I am leaving in a week and a bit

I researched the track conditions as well, and found after searching this and other forums that it is pretty much the same as last year

Happy travels

CJ
AnswerID: 370762

Reply By:- Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 08:03

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 08:03
I returned from this trip yesterday. Did the complete track from south to north. IMO this is the best way as some of the south banks were quite steep and I found it easier to drop down into them rather than try to climb from the other direction.

Palm Creek entry is one of the drops I'm talking about, but with care you will find it no trouble at all. Hug the right back as tight as you can on this one as there is a huge hole in the middle.

Water levels are not huge, although they are quite high. Cockatoo was probably the deepest with water over the bonnet.

We did the Frenchman's Track and the Pascoe at the end was a bit of a challenge. Although it's only a short crossing, the water was flowing quite strongly.

Gunshot had a number of entry points, some of which I would definately not attempt and in fact they looked like they hadn't been used in a long time.

Eliot/Twin Falls and Fruit Bat Falls are brilliant at the moment.

It was a fantastic trip, and one I would recommend everyone do at some stage.

Webby

AnswerID: 370829

Follow Up By: johannagoanna - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 22:52

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 22:52
Thanks Webby,

Just the type of info I was looking for.

Still not sure about the Frenchman's Track, one of our travellers has a CT, how do you reckon it would handle the Pascoe Crossing?

Jo
FollowupID: 638396

Reply By:- Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 07:18

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 07:18
They would be fine with the Pascoe crossing on the Frenchmans Track. It is a short crossing, a little deep and fast flowing.

Just walk it as best you can. From our trip a couple of weeks back, we kept to the right a little as there's a bit of a hole in the middle. It has a rocky bottom also which can be a little slippery, but with a little constant acceleration you will just cruise over.

All sounds a bit daunting, I know, but it really isn't that hard. There is also a bit of a ridge to climb half way up the departing bank, so give it a little to get over this and stay to the right again.

Sometimes these crossings look worse than they are. We had a LC100 with heaps of power, so no dramas at all.

All the best

Webby
AnswerID: 371903

Sponsored Links