Asus 701 with unden 501 as GPS

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 18:50
ThreadID: 69956 Views:1816 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all - I'm looking at buying a used Asus 701 with windows to have moving maps using oziexplorer.
I have a Uniden 501 gps and it looks like I can use it with the laptop.
Will this work - I'm open to ideas.
Don't want to spend too much and as I have a Suzuki Vitara 4 door there is not much room.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 19:16

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 19:16
Hi George, I am looking at a similar set up for my vehicle. I just had a look at a couple of reviews on the EEEpc and the 501. Just my preference, but a 7" screen seems a bit small, up to you though. I couldn't find enough info on the Uniden, but one review I read said they were obsolete, no updates available any more. Guess that won't matter if you are just using it for a reciever. Also, you need to find out if the Uniden will communicate with Ozi sending data in NMEA format, at the correct baud rate. The only thing I could fnd was that you can 'connect it to your pc with the usb cable supplied'. This might only be for map & software/firmware updates etc.... I can connect my Tomtom to my computer, but couldn't use it for Ozi. These are a couple of things you need to check up on before you go any further. Maybe a 'mouse' reciever and the eeepc with Ozi & maps would be the better option. Something to think about, hope this helps, Dave
AnswerID: 370746

Reply By: Groove - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 20:36

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 20:36
Hi ZUK
When using a GPS with a computer I highly recommend using the USB mouse type GPS.
These cost about $70 off ebay they are about the size of a match box. They have no display and simply send the GPS data to your computer. My one lives permanently on the roof of the car its been there for about 3 years now(they are usually magnetic and weather proof) and it is powered from the usb port on the computer so you only need to plug the one USB cable (very neat)

Because it is outside it gets a lock VERY quickly, usually within seconds.

Cheers

AnswerID: 370761

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 07:37

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 07:37
I am using the same with a 901 Eee pc and works a treat can even run my old Magellan Discover Aus on it. Plus we use a wireless modem when we are way.
FollowupID: 638103

Sponsored Links