Bloody Bracks!

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 22:50
ThreadID: 6996 Views:2445 Replies:16 FollowUps:31
This Thread has been Archived
So I read with grinding teeth in yesterdays paper that Steve #$%#@&* Bracks is going to take away another of our rights. It appears that he is going to copy the Carr Govt and make it illegal to consume an alcoholic beverage whilst driving. Now I am sure that some of you will say "You shouldn't do it anyway", but after a hard days work I deserve a nice cold beer, and if it happens to be that my desire for the first beer of the day is on the way home, I and others of the same opinion should be able to do so. That is what car fridges are for!

Another ridiculus speed rule change is that aroud schools during drop off and pick up times, the speed limit will be dropped to 40km. I don't mind this, however it seems that this will only be the case where the speed limit is 50 kmh to 60 kmh during other times. If the normal speed limit is 70 kmh to 80 kmh, the speed limit will only drop to 50kmh during the school times, and if the normal speed limit is 90 kmh to 100 kmh, the speed limit will only be reduced to 60 kmh. Now I may be stupid, but how does that make it safer for parents and children in the higher speed zones?

I will hop off my soapbox now.

Just Do It!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 23:05

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 23:05
gday glenn.
your right there a cold beer on the way home is great that would suck.
as for lower speeds near schools they been doing it in nsw for years i dont know if it saves accidents but as pointed out to me last night by my wfe the main idiots around the school are the mums she tells me they are crazy.—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
AnswerID: 29949

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 23:13

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 23:13
Gooday Diamond,

I have to agree with your wife. I was dropping James off the other morning and this women almost ran into the side of me she was in such a rush. Mind you we were stopped at the childrens crossing. When I gave her the look of death for nearly hitting the mighty Totota Landcruiser (lol), she started abusing the crap out of me. Luckily James took control, wound down the window and told her what he thought of her(from the mouths of babes).

I just cannot understand why the limit isn't 40 kmh in ALL places during the required times. The speed limits in Vic are so confusing now, with so many inconsistencies, lets at least get one right. All you have to do is drive along the Warburton Hwy to see how ludicrous our speed limits are. Over 30 speed limit changes in a 20 km distance!Just Do It!

FollowupID: 21004

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 23:25

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 23:25
tell me about it coming to your place sunday speed limit changes all over the place i spent more time watching the speed limit signs and my spedo than i did watching the road.
ps hows that cruise control going—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
FollowupID: 21006

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 23:35

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 23:35
I put the truck in for a pre trip service, and the accelerator cable is worse than we thought. Toyota want to charge me $160 just for the cable, so I am trying to source one via my local wrecker at the moment, hopefully he can get one from Cairns on Thursday/Friday. Anyway, this means I have not used the cruise control as I do not want to put any added pressure on the other cable.

By the way, the pre trip also showed the power steering pump was screwed! I nearly had a heart attack when they told the price of a new one, so a few hours and $650 later I got the Cruiser back.

Now I am definately counting the days to get outback!Just Do It!

FollowupID: 21009

Follow Up By: uppy - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 09:22

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 09:22
i like to had a beer , But its when we go camping along old dusk tacks.Any way Diamond , What kind of c/conrol should i get for my 4.2 efi patrol
thanks uppy
FollowupID: 21026

Reply By: Old Jack - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 00:01

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 00:01
NSW has 40 Klm in school zones basically no matter what the speed limmit is in the area. yes it has been proven to save lives( the death toll dropped allong with the injury rate) as for the grog:-

NSW will go zero % for learner drivers & "P" plates. already effectivly zero % for heavy truck drivers. What I can't understand is why so many people still drink & drive thinking it's "OK". getting busted for high range drink driving should carry a lot stiffer penaltys, say like never ever get a licence again. years ago before the time of the RBT most people new it was stupid to drink & drive, new people died all the time from drunk drivers crashing. was put down as It's ok It was just a Drunk driver!

The days of going down the pub on the way home are gone!many other countrys have zero % when driving. In japan it's socially acceptable to be drunk in the street but get behind the wheel of a car with any grog in you and your are banned for months, have to go to school to learn why it's so silly and re- do a licence test.

As a driver who does 50- 80,000 klm a year I don't drink & drive at all.

As for being a "Right" in Australia our constitution doesn't give us any "rights" anyway so it's no good saying you had it to start with!

want to have something to think about everyone:- what percentage of drivers have crashes while taking drugs other than grog?

Anyway drinking while driving is Dangerous.... you might spill some!

A drivers Licence is a Privilege to hold not a right.

safe Motoring

AnswerID: 29953

Follow Up By: Bazza - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 08:24

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 08:24
I totally agree with "Old Jack's" comments. I personaly think that it should be zero % for all drivers regardless. I like a drink as everone else does, but driving and grog just does'nt mix. I do'nt like my wife and son running the increased risk of being involved in a prang with a grog affected driver, full licenced or P plater. One thing eveyone should remember ........ when your young, ( and we all were ) you think your six foot tall and bulletproof ......... and with a few grogs under your belt, that's a very dangerous mix.
Regards,
Barry.
FollowupID: 21016

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 12:09

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 12:09
Hi Old Jack,

Just want to ask about your statement about a Drivers Licence being a Priviledge to hold. Please explain your thoughts to me.

Cheers,

WillieNever a dull moment
FollowupID: 21051

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 17:12

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 17:12
Willie,
A Drivers License is something that is earned, being allowed to take a vehical out onto the road is something that requires a healthy respect for the laws of physics, the road rules and common sense!

Its not something handed out like toys in a cereal packet.

The way I look at it is that there are some people who should not hold a Drivers license, for many reasons, not just grog, or drugs.

Too the many people who do the right thing, are curtius, polite and drive safely the privilage is being able to drive anywhere anytime within the law & road rules.

Break the rules and the privilage should be revoked.

Happy motoring!
FollowupID: 21097

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 18:59

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 18:59
Hi Old Jack,
I figured that your answer would be in that vein and while I agree with you on some points I do see the Drivers Licence as another revenue raising tool.
Cars are just another tool for mankind and like all tools you have to learn how to operate it. Once that is done and a competency test has been completed then there should be an update test every five years. But not to the detriment of the driver. And we are all drivers, even the law makers.
Our road system is so inadequate that many accidents happen. We are never going to change that until we upgrade the system to something else.
Safe travelling.

Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 21109

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 09:28

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 09:28
Willie,
I could not agree more about the update test every five years, I have to update my first aid cert for work every 12months, my confined space training & fire fighting every 12 month & do a CPR refresher every 6 months! (mad about safety???)

as for Drivers Licence as another revenue raising tool. what do you suppose they would have to do to raise the revenue to fix the roads :- raise taxes! nothing is a free ride in this world I'm affraid it's only going to get worse, they predict in 20 years time less than 50% of the population will be working as opposed to the 60+ % that are working now, the money has to come from somewhere to pay for roads etc.

the burden for tax payers is only going to increase, the pollies need to bit the bullet so to speak and embark on a large capitol Works/spending program to increase the nations wealth, at the moment billions of dollars that could be turned into manufactureing infirstructure are going off shore due to a lack of basic infirstructure & the current housing boom is hurting manufactureing as people poor millions of dollars into things that don't make anything!

sad really, we import way too much finished goods & send too much raw product over seas without value adding(read more profit for our country!)

cheers!
FollowupID: 21339

Reply By: jonny knowalittlebit - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 07:59

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 07:59
On my way home from work there is a 40 zone which drops from a 70 zone it goes for 40 metres and theres fences on each side of the road and an overpass for pedestrians so whats the need for the speed drop there?
ITs a real pain in the butt.
AnswerID: 29956

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 08:14

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 08:14
Jonny,
I think the people who designate speed zones, draw the double lines etc must be over .08 when they do it. Getting these things right would seem pretty important to my way of thinking. A lot more care and professionalism should go into traffic controls. At the moment they appear to be designed by people interested in revenue, implemented by idiots, and often times, policed by cowboys.Bob
FollowupID: 21015

Follow Up By: cert - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 16:38

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 16:38
Look the easiest way too settle this, is that if like me you have an old hj60 landcruiser, get a Northern Territory bullbar and side rails like me, no school mums, no children, no cars for that matter will ever get in your way, those bullbars are jsut plain dangerous
FollowupID: 21092

Reply By: Luke - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 08:43

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 08:43
Personally, I think it's great that it will be illegal to drink an alcohlic drink whilst driving.

No matter how bullet proof you think you are, drinking booze whilst behind the wheel impairs your ability to concentrate and drive safely to some degree - so why do it?

Surely the safety of yourself, your family and others is more important than having a drink on the way home? Wait 'till you get home, then go for it :-)

If you wait 'till you get home it'll taste better too :-)

JMHO

Cheers,

Luke.
AnswerID: 29959

Reply By: Willie - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 10:11

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 10:11
Whilst driving in California as a passenger i opened a beer and my brother neasrly had a coronary. Totally illegal there to drink alcohol in the car.

By the way School crossings and School busses in South Australia have 25kmh zone at any time of day if childrern are present in that area. So don't complain about 40k restriction.
Cheers,
Willie
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 29966

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 10:19

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 10:19
Hi Willie, you have misunderstood what I have written. I am not complaining about the 40 kmh zones, what I am concerned about is that it depends on what the speed limit of the zone is outside of the prescribed hours that decides whether the speed limit is reduced around schools to 40, 50 or 60 kmh. It should be standard throughout the state that it is 40 kmh during the prescribed times, no matter what. This would alleviate any confusion that already exists on our state roads when it comes to speed limits. As someone wrote in the Herald Sun 50/50, the speed limit confusion assists with the new police motto - to serve and collect.

CheersJust Do It!

FollowupID: 21038

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 12:15

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 12:15
That's OK Glenn.
We are down at Anglesea at present and will be heading home on 12th Sept. Have to find a few parts for my G60 in Melbourne on the 11th.

Which way are you heading on your trip up north. If you pass through Peterborough drop in for a cuppa.
Cheers,
Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 21054

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 12:27

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 12:27
Hi Willie,

Won't be coming your way on the way up, but possibly on the way back. We will be coming from Coober Pedy to Port Augusta on Thursday 9th October. My email address is glennamarshall@iprimus.com.au if you are going to be home then and would like to provide contact details, as we could certainly drop in for a cuppa on the Friday morning.

CheersJust Do It!

FollowupID: 21056

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 12:38

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 12:38
Hi Glenn,
We will have to make it some other time then as I will be out of the country from 3rd October to 20th October. Next time you come up to the Flinders we can put on a tour:-))
Cheers,
Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 21060

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 01:24

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 01:24
Willie, its illegal to have an open alcohol container in a car in some US States!!

Good idea I reckon!
FollowupID: 21135

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 10:14

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 10:14
I may not have explained myself too well. I too am against people who drink and drive when they are over the legal limit, and I certainly don't do it myself. My point is that it has always been legal to consume any type of beverage, whether it be alcoholic or not whilst driving, as long as the driver is under, and remains under the legal limit. The consumption of beverages must also not impede or hinder driving ability, nor cause recklessness.

As I said in the initial post, I enjoy a nice cold beer on the way home from work. It is always my first for the day, and I only have one or two at most. When it takes me over 1 hour to travel home after work, I can assure you that I am breaking no laws, nor putting any other person at risk. I do it openly and honestly, not hiding my can in a stubby holder, or sipping it discretely.

I don't care what the constitution says, it is my RIGHT as an adult to currently do this. My point is that Bracks is again curbing the rights of innocent people who are not breaking the law or causing accidents/deaths/injuries.

So endeth the lesson.Just Do It!

AnswerID: 29967

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 16:23

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 16:23
LOL its currently your "RIGHT" to have a beer on the way home? In few weeks it WONT be your right, like we dont have the right to speed, or run people over etc...

Honestly, you cant wait an hour for a beer?

Gee banning people from drinking beer while driving is going to cause problems... Stupidity at its greatest, how dumb...
FollowupID: 21086

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 10:39

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 10:39
If you cant wait to get home to have a beer you have problems.
AnswerID: 29969

Follow Up By: cruiser - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 12:11

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 12:11
Thanks Truckster, I am with you on that point.
FollowupID: 21052

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 13:16

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 13:16
jeez
these laws are enoigh to drive you to drink!!!!!!!
you shouldn't drink drive ,its a washing powder !!!!!!!!
lol
but serously the problem with writing laws re speed limits ect.is that they have to take abroad approach to cover as many different senarios as posible ,which usualy leaves many of the place in conflict with the laws.
Not only that they have to stand up to court chalnges & constitution revue so by the time they meet these requirements they generally make no sence at all.
writing these laws is not a job i would want
AnswerID: 29990

Reply By: ThePublican - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 16:25

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 16:25
Funny how perspectives change,,in the early 70s the open road speed limit in Vic was 70 miles per hr and the drink driving "limit" was .08 in cars and on roads which even if brand new today would be called death traps,, pubs built in the 70s had massive car parks and a choice of 2 beers on tap if you went upmarket,, now pubs have a minimum of 6 different beers and an almost mind boggling variety of spirit based premixed drinks,,some of which WILL put an average 75kg person over the .05 limit in the space of 1 can/bottle in the 1st and any subsequent hrs,,

Glen , I personally do not agree with your premier of the moment, but I also do not agree that 1 of your so called rights is being taken away from you ,times change,responsibilities change,,,,ok you drive an hour to get home after work and want a beer while doing so, the solution is simple, MOVE CLOSER TO WORK OR WORK CLOSER TO HOME IF YOU CANT WAIT AN HOUR FOR YOUR 1ST BEER OF THE DAY.
as the ads all say "your a bloody idiot "
AnswerID: 30005

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 16:35

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 16:35
Seeing the number of responses against what I believe is a riduculous law change, there are obviously those who agree with it, that have never, in their entire lives driven their vehicles with ANY alcohol in their blood. What is the difference between someone having one alcoholic beverage prior to jumping in their vehicles and driving home, and having one IN their vehicle whilst driving home?

You purists are quick to jump on someone, but I certainly don't believe that 1. you have never done it yourselves or 2. had a drink before driving your vehicle, be that to drive around the corner to buy some bread, or drive one hour home after work. Then again, I am probably wrong in saying that too!

Just Do It!

AnswerID: 30007

Reply By: Big Trev - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 17:42

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 17:42
I am not trying to be controversial here, but someone has to say it. I reckon ALL drivers should be 00. I spent over 10 years attending road accidents as a volunteer with the VicSES, and it ain't pretty.

All truck drivers who drive trucks over 15t and all bus drivers have to be 00, how many of them are involved in aclohol related accidents compared to car drivers involved in alcohol related accidents? Now there's persecution of a minority group!!! Don't forget our young drivers are restricted to 00 as well, the law says quite clearly that if you have had your licence longer than 3 years "you are OK to drive affected by alcohol" coz you can have a BAC of .05. Please remember than even .05 means you are affected in some way by alcohol.

I reckon it is too hard to tell if you are over the legal limit, I have been involved in many trials where breath tests have been taken after alcohol (and food) consuption. Some people are affected by alcohol far more for the same quantity than others. 00 takes away the guess work.

My young bloke was at a pub near a police station, he had his car with him, he was unsure of his consumption so he popped over to the police and asked for a breath test before he drove, and was promptly told NO. Go figure!!!
AnswerID: 30015

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 18:36

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 18:36
I make my living from the sale of booze, as it reads " the Publican " and all other on this or any other forum who whish to debate the merits of "drink driving and or having a drink while driving " are the proverbial "BLOODY IDIOT"
My public liability insurance ,, just to cover some fool jumping in his/her car after having the odd 1 to many,, " no matter how good your staff in responsible service " has gone from $19k per 3yrs ago to $154k this year ,,, anyone wish to pay my bill so a-oles can drink and drive?????
FollowupID: 21105

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 01:23

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 01:23
Trev

Reason behind that is that they dont know when you had your last drink.

I used to do the same as ya young bloke, and they stopped it as one bloke did it, then drove off, and killed 2 people DUI...

his defence was he went to the sty and blew .03 and was told he was right to drive.

So that put the kybosh on that good idea.
FollowupID: 21134

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:09

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:09
Publican,

That is due to a court ruling in QLD a few years ago when a patron left the pub, got in his car and killed a pedestrian. I have worked in Hotels for 15 years, and I agree with you that no matter how "responsible" staff and management are when serving alcohol, unless the lawyers and the courts stand up against those who believe that we drag people in off the street, tie them to a stool and force them to drink alcohol, we will continue to have insurances pushed up. What happened to the onus being on an individual?

The drink driving laws have affected the hospitality industry in a huge way, and hotels are more responsible these days when it comes to drinking, smoking, looking after children etc. We have security to prevent trouble and assist in removing patrons who refuse to accept that they have had enough. Our staff and management attend courses in responsible service in alcohol, and yet it is always the Venue that is wrong and is to blame when an incident occurs.

As I said earlier, the onus HAS to be returned to the individual who makes the choice to consume alcohol. Make the laws tougher on those who refuse to leave Venues when requested by staff or management. Make the laws tougher on those who drink and drive. Hit them where it hurts, in their pocket and publicly humiliate them on tv in a show similar to Australia's Most Wanted. Make it easier for Publicans to get on with their job of creating an environment that is safe and fun for all who enter.

PS. What pub are you in?Just Do It!

FollowupID: 21144

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 22:02

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 22:02
one for the road—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
AnswerID: 30045

Follow Up By: Luke - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 22:56

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 22:56
stirrer :-)

LOL
FollowupID: 21123

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 23:42

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 23:42
me never lol—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
FollowupID: 21127

Reply By: ThePublican - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 15:45

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 15:45
Glen,,Ive been in the so called hospitality industry as a worker and as an owner for going onto 33years ,,, and sure drink driving laws had a major impact on pub profitability, just as the tobacco laws recently [12mths ago] implemented caused a downturn,,the thing is to be responsible for your own actions and in the scenario you present in that you like to have your 1st of the day while driving home you are being not only iresponsible but a lovely role model to the younger generation , NOT,,,
AnswerID: 30103

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 17:24

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 17:24
Thanks Publican,

You are, and must always have been a perfect angel. Just Do It!

FollowupID: 21171

Reply By: ThePublican - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 17:40

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 17:40
Perfect,,,,,never,,, an angel ,,,doubt it ,,,, responsible for my own actions ,,ALLWAYS.
AnswerID: 30117

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 19:13

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 19:13
gday glen.
you gotta love the way some people carry on over 1 yes thats right 1 beer on the way home that YOU ARE LEGALLY ALLOWED TO HAVE.you have more chance of being killed bye some of the customers we get at work.we only have a small workshop and if the same sort of cars were at all tyre places ect its not safe to be on the road.you have more chance of them killing you than than you have of being killed bye someone who has had 1 yes 1 beer.
a couple of examples from the last couple of weeks.and its the same week in week out.theese are not made up.
(1)vb commodore jack up front for tyres.ball joint fell out.
(2)ef falcon brakes metal to metal lady says its ok im using the hand brake to stop.
(3)vt commodore slow leak in rear inside edge through wire and casing.
(4)xf sedan tie rod end came apart while checking front end for wear.
(5)xf sedan top ball joint stuffed worsrt ive seen with out actually falling apart.
(6)vk commodore guy comes in for roadworthy give him a list miles long goes of at me for being hard and says dont worry about it ill just get the xwife to pay the rego.
(7)must i go on.
now im not saying drink driving is a good thing to do i wont even drive to work if ive had a big night and i work 1 and a half minutes from work.
just amazing how some people can get so nasty.—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
AnswerID: 30134

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 22:09

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 22:09
You are right Diamond, and I think that people forget that. It is ILLEGAL to drive a car that is unroadworthy. It is ILLEGAL to drive a vehicle when under the influence of drugs, it is ILLEGAL to drive a vehicle, ride a pushbike, ride a horse and cart, rollerblade, skateboard, scooter, motorbike over 0.05. It is ILLEGAL to drive a motor vehicle whilst talking on a non-handsfree mobile phone. It is ILLEGAL to eat whilst driving, it is ILLEGAL to put on make up whilst driving. It is LEGAL to consume an alcoholic beverage whilst driving as long as it does not impede your driving, it does not put you over 0.05 nor cause you to drive erratically. I think that we have become so dosile in objecting against law changes that are such a waste of time. What the bloody hell are we voting these people in for? Bracks and his cronies have spent a 1.4 billion dollar surplus in less than 5 years, and what has Victoria got to see for it?

I wonder if others read the Herald Sun and saw the number of letters written to the editor about the senseless idiocy surrounding the decisions on how low speed limits limit drop around schools and how they agree with my feeling that it should be 40 kmh no matter what the normal speed zone is.

What amazes me Diamond, is the number of people that obviously consider themselves to be so perfect, having,by the sound of it, never had a drink before getting behind the wheel of a car.

What a sinner am I, lol.Just Do It!

FollowupID: 21209

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 20:46

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 20:46
Diamond,the point being made was that Glen is p-s-ed off that the laws are to be changed to make it illegal to have the drink alcholic be it 1st or 100th while in charge of the motor vehicle,,to be irresponsible in vehicle maintenance is another legislative nightmare yet to be solved,,,ignorance of the law is NOT a valid defence under our judicial system,,so sorry officer I did not know that 1 stubby resting between my knees caused me to run the red light at double the speed limit and I realy and truly am sorry for killing the 2 little girls who where in the road ,but i only took my eyes off the road for 1second to take a swig of my 1 and only beer,,,, drink and drive,under or over the limit,,STILL A BLOODY IDIOT.
FollowupID: 21277

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 20:57

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 20:57
gday the publican.
thats just as silly as saying .
sorry officer i did not know that the lip stick i had in my hand caused me to run the red light at double the speed limit and I realy and truly am sorry for killing the 2 little girls who where in the road ,but i only took my eyes off the road for 1 second to put my lip stick on and its my only lip stick.what part is glenn saying that is ignorance of the law.
—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
FollowupID: 21279

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 21:30

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 21:30
Diamond,,is meant tongue in cheek,,not implying that Glen is ignorant of the law,, however his attittude to a CHANGE of the law concerning driving while drinking is and should be of grave concern,, traffic at peak times be it even in Bendigo demands and deserves your full faculties,,Not had a hard day at work !.so need to have a beer while driving home,,,get real,1 leads to 2 leads to ??????some poor innocents death,,,,
FollowupID: 21281

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 22:09

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 22:09
gday publican.
ive read everything here and i see peoples points and yours 1 turns to 2 ect but thats not what glenns post was about he. as i said earlier is talking about 1 beer on the way home now really thats not being an irresponsible bloody idiot is it?you would remember when the law changed from.08 to .05 the whinging that happened.thats not what hes on about.there a big diference about people who want to go to the pub and have a few and take the chance of driving home in the hope of being just under .05 3 in the first hour and 1 every hour after ect.hes talking 1 beer in 1 hour.as you can see from my posts i dont condone drink driving my point is why do people go on about 1 beer on the way home thats been legal for years and years.how many poor inocent deaths have beer caused by a driver who have had 1 beer compared to drink drivers(those over the limit)sleepy drivers/those on mobile phones/make up/unroadworthy cars/yelling at kids/in a hurry/changing radio stations and so on thats my point
FollowupID: 21284

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 22:39

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 22:39
Laws change,,responsibilities change, proven fact is that a small minded minority cannot and will not change unsociable behaviour to the detriment of the responsible majority,Glens attitude towards a change of the law banning his so called RIGHT to drink and drive is on par with the bloke at the lights shaving/the girl doing her makeup ect ect ect,,,,as stated previously,,BLO-DY IDIOT,,Do you realy want to share the road with him,,,
You live in a totally different world if you can condone driving while under the influence,be it only the 1 beer.
FollowupID: 21286

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 23:03

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 23:03
gday publican.
laws change yes i believe thats not a bad thing if its for the better of the greater majority.but tell me how can stopping a person having 1 beer be better.yeh i would share the road with him and any one else if its only 1 beer in 1 hour.as i said i dont condone drink driving i would refuse to get into a car if i know the person has had to many as aposed to a person who is having 1 beer while driving home.so whats next no drinking at a pub even for one drink if you have to drive from the pub while you take all your mates out.no i relly dont think thats fair. being a bloody idiot and being a resposible driver are two totally diferent things.—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
FollowupID: 21287

Reply By: Slammin - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 23:59

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 23:59
Been away for few days and just read the above thread what a joke ............................, the point Glen makes is pretty simple, wether he wants to or not is that he can have his beer whilst sitting in his passenger seat and when finished jump into the drivers seat and drive away!
Now that is a common sense law isn't it!!!!!
If you disagree with driving when under the limit get off your high ponies, and you really, really beleive the law should be 0% for all drivers, humbug your pollies.
AND while you are there point out to them that we are paying for them to make laws that are sensible at least and not to waste their time and our money.
PS the above thread just shows that politics and 4wding don't mix!
AnswerID: 30167

Sponsored Links