LR Discovery 3 traction control..... interesting one this!

Submitted: Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 12:40
ThreadID: 69979 Views:3398 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Forumites,
Recently talking to a LR 3 owner had an interesting problem. Got a puncture on one of the Coopers installed on the car a 255/60/ R18 the normal tyre, the punctured tyre was then replaced with the standard Goodyear Wrangler from the back of the car. After this even though initially the two problems weren't thought to be connected the vehicle had a different feel about it, mainly to do with the way the gearbox changed gears.
Anyway the owner then took the vehicle to Land Rover to get them to stick the magic box onto the diagnostics to figure out what was going on with the gearbox. After a short drive the "magic box" diagnosed that the traction control was trying to kick in every now and again.
Each wheel has it's own speed sensor for the traction control, the difference in diameter between the Cooper tyre and the Goodyear was enough for the computer to register the wheel turning at a different speed, all be it very small it was enough to activate the traction control "system" in the electronic gearbox.
A new tyre is getting installed to rectify the problem. just thought this was an interesting lesson, amazing the "place" we are moving into.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 13:08

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 13:08
If they are that sensitive, you might need the same amount of wear on both to avoid trac control coming in.
????
I am hearing stories of trac control leading to very rapid brake disc/pad wear as it keeps touching up balance. Especially likely to be a problem on 4WD in dusty conditions where the grit reall reduces brake life on disks anyway.
Any one got more info/experience on this?
AnswerID: 370885

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 14:31

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 14:31
Necessity being the mother of invention there are always clever people out there who find a way to bypass these systems. You'd reckon by all the fuss on the Jeep Forum the fella who worked out how to turn off the traction & stability control systems on the JK Jeep had found the holy grail :-)
Cars are all just getting a little too clever for my liking.
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 370905

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 14:49

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 14:49
Agreed Crackles. I think I am just as happy in a basic vehicle withiut all the gadgets. I like to feel as though I am driving the thing, not the other way around.
FollowupID: 638346

Reply By: Member - Greg T (ACT) - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 12:12

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 12:12
my old man has a Disco 3 and goes through break pads like nothing else. i think the last set lasted only 25k. (thats towing a camper trailer around mountainous country side)

i remember following him in Abercrombie River Nat Park. you couldn't smell any diesel smoke, just evaporating pads.

leads me to think, if your taking one through river crossings, you would have an extra cuppa coffee to let everything cool down before you crossed
AnswerID: 371021

Sponsored Links