Wheel Bearings and high pressue grease

Submitted: Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 17:23
ThreadID: 69987 Views:3160 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
A couple of years ago I read on this forum (I believe) that it was not a good idea to use high temp or high pressure grease to repack wheel bearings as it didn't melt back into the bearings because of it's high melt point.
As it was the week after I had just done all the bearings on my Landcruiser I was a bit miffed but thought Oh well too bad I'm not going to redo them now.
2 years down the track with a Cape trip and several sorties from Melb to North Qld and a dozen trips into the high country and deserts I decided to check them again fully expecting to have to renew all the bearings.
Big surprise, bearings were like new and as full of grease with no discolouration to the grease and as good as the day I repacked them.
So now I have to ask why not use high temp grease?
I repacked mine today with Nulon Extreme temp grease the same as 2 years ago and if it gives me another 2 years I will be more than happy.
Anyone else had the same experience ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: howesy - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 17:46

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 17:46
Its the opposite way around. I always use No melt grease. If you put the other stuff in a hub that runs high temps it melts and offers little protection and the bearings last five minutes. I proved this in my falcon when I ran out of no melt grease and used the other and the bearings were growling in six months.
AnswerID: 370939

Reply By: V64Runner - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 18:56

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 18:56
I repacked the front wheel bearings with Penrite EP wheel bearing grease a few years ago, and to date the grease is still clean and have not had any problems with wheel bearings since new. But I did have to replace the right rear wheel bearing oil seal a year ago and that was not the easiest of jobs, but in the meantime I carry on as usual and will check the grease in another years time, by which I think it will be time to replace bearings , seals, and repack the front hubs.
AnswerID: 370947

Reply By: mechpete - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 20:40

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 20:40
we have been using hight temp wheel bearing for 20 yrs and not had a problem in any ambulance .
mechpete
AnswerID: 370961

Sponsored Links