update on ZD30 belt

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 12:19
ThreadID: 70004 Views:2835 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
after the problems i have been having with my fan belt in my ZD30. (getting fixed at the moment -thread no: 69890). i gave Richie from Hume offroad a call (good bloke) to see what i can do to stop this anoying problem form occuring.

Richie is on the case and trying to develop an alternative tension system to the shock one.

he has a couple of things in mind and i have to get back to him next week, to see what he has created.

considering this is the starndard system, i am no amused, to say the least. it appears to be that when the huge serpintine belt gets wet, the shock type tensioner can not place enough pressure on the belt to stop it slipping.

hopefully Richie will have a solution for this.

i sent a turd gram to Mr. Nissan about this, as im not the only one who experiences this problem. not expecting a great reponse, but you never know
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 17:04

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 17:04
greg

I had similar problems with GU fanbelt - screaming. My mechanic found the the belt tensioner was partially siezed on its mounting bolt. He polished both the bolt and the tensioner now no problems. I agree that the current system is RS as grooved belts need a lot more tension than normal V belts.

Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 371053

Reply By: pmack - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 18:06

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 18:06
fellas I have the answer in the form of a peice of angle iron one hole drilled out round one elongated about 40mm, roughly the length of the tensioner jigger that they came standard with cut the eyes off that same jigger as you need to used them to space it away from the engine a touch then bolt back into position use thet same method as usual to tension siad belt or you can use a turn buckle with two eyes. Worked a treat on my GU and a dam site cheaper than $400.
Cheers Paul..
AnswerID: 371060

Follow Up By: Shaver - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 11:08

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 11:08
That would have to be the longest sentence I have seen. Am still trying to get the gist of it !
FollowupID: 638431

Follow Up By: Member - Greg T (ACT) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 13:34

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 13:34
Paul,
that sounds interesting, do you have any photos of this?
FollowupID: 638447

Follow Up By: pmack - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 19:27

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 19:27
Sorry for the long sentance it made sence in my head whilst typing it (lucky i wasn't holding my breath). No photo sorry as it went when i traded the car, basically just replace the tensioner with a peice of (from memory) 25x25mm angle just longer than the tensioner itself. Slot one of the holes so that the hole centres are the same as the tensioner fully compressed.
FollowupID: 638510

Follow Up By: Member - Greg T (ACT) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 20:40

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 20:40
beautiful. i will give that a go.

thanks paul
FollowupID: 638520

Reply By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 04:12

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 04:12
Greg T
I had a squeeling belt, ect, on the Navara ( pre-Patrol ), after a desert trip.

I got in behind the Pully's with Inox and flushed the dust out, basically as we drove back out from the Desert.

Interestingly though, ouot of the blue 2 years later I had develloped another squeel........ Change the belt I thought, and did...
Still squeeling....MMmmmmmm I know, lube the belt with the "magic stick".
Still squeeling...... it's the belt tensioner I thought

2 hrs later it was back on all lubed up, new belt, next day, still squeling......????????/

Getting angry by now..... put old belt back on....Squeeling Stopped, and never happened again

You go figure !
I never could

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 371274

Sponsored Links