Gibb River Road Condition Report

Travelled the GRR about a week ago. Road is in very good condition with a lot of grading work going on. Kalumbaroo Road also quite good up to the Mitchell Plateau turn off. Mitchell Plateau Road a bit rough but comfortable if you take it slow. Usual advice applies: keep the speed down, good tyres at correct pressure. If you're hiring a 4X4, check the tyres - several hirees we met were travelling with unworthy tyres with subsequent blowouts. Long way from help if you roll one up.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DIO - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 14:01

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 14:01
If you are hiring a vehicle you should refuse to accept it if it is not up to scratch. i.e. any of the following are unsatisfactory: tyres, brakes, exhaust, lights etc. Demand that the vehicle be made roadworthy. The driver is the one who will initially be held to account, if it goes 'pear shaped'.
AnswerID: 371028

Reply By: Member - Robert R1 (SA) - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 17:59

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 17:59
I agree that the GRR is pretty good as was the Kalumburu road but the road in to the Mitchell Falls was attrocious. I was told they graded it a week ago but that it deteriorates very quicly. It was bad on Wednesday on the way in, particularly the first bit, and a lot worse on Thursday on the way out. I had my tyre pressures way down (20 psi front and 26 psi back) and i travelled slowly. I lost both my driving lights, got a cracked headlight, UHF antenna broke in half, GPS mount disintegrated and my glovebox fell out. And even worse than that, the tops loosened on three of my stubbies and the beer drained out.

I have been there now and don't regret it because the Falls are magnificent but I wouldn't drive in there again.

Regards,
Bob
AnswerID: 371058

Reply By: vk1dx - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 12:01

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 12:01
We just did the GRR and environs. The GRR itself was an excellent wide dirt road with "gentle" corrugations. They got a little worse on the Kalumbaroo Road above Drysdale Station and were atrocious on the "unmaintained" track to Mitchell Falls. All roads were excellent apart from the aforementioned corrugations. Creek and river crossings could be done in and family sedan. But the one to Mitchell Falls must be taken carefully by sticking to the left on the way to the falls and use the same side when returning.

The best I can say is lower your tyre pressures depending on your load and tyre makes and drive at a safe and "comfortable" speed. We sat for the most part at 80-90 on the straighter sections of the GRR without any problems. Some were going faster and some slower. It all depends on your own comfort, driving experience and vehicle ability.

As a result we did not incur any new rattles at all. No mechanical problems and most of all not a single flat tyre!!!!! All safe and sound and full of praise for the local maintenance authorities.

Had a ball doing 5000Kms all up in the area.

Phil and Sue
AnswerID: 372180

Sponsored Links