Pioneer vs Aussie Swag

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 16:31
ThreadID: 70008 Views:4735 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are contemplating buying a Pioneer onyx or an Aussie Swag Rover LX and was wondering whether any members could offer advise on either of these trailers. Good or bad would be much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony F (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 18:32

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 18:32
We have an Aussie Swag Rover. We love it. Well made, strong and stress free.The Pioneer would be a great outfit as well . I t prodably depends on new or second hand and how much you are comfortable paying of course.
As someone once said to me "It doesny matter which one you have, they will never be perfectly what you want".
Happy Hunting
Tony F
AnswerID: 371067

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 18:41

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 18:41
Do a search on "Pioneer".

You'll get a few results.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 371068

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 19:56

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 19:56
We have a Pioneer Argyle & have had no real problems, I assume the "few results" referred to in the above reply is the recently discussed water tank issue.
Apparently with the new Pioneers, they are using tanks supplied by Camec that have the outlet well above the bottom of the tank, which restricts the usable amount.
You can specify a stainless steel tank that will resolve this problem.
Pioneer are currently working with Camec to see what other plastic tanks may fit.
My only issue with hard floor camper trailers, is the lack of storage space, compared with soft floor over the side campers, unless you have extra gull wing boxes that need a far too long draw bar.
AnswerID: 371073

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 20:11

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 20:11
Shaker, the water tank thread will be one of several in the last 12 months discussing Pioneer CTs.

I had an Argyle, and sold it to get an Argyle SE with the gullwings that you refer to.

I had mixed feelings. The gullwing storage was excellent but I felt they dropped the ball with the quality of the canvas in the time between my 2 purchases.

I'm hoping things would have changed since then.

cheers

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 638372

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 21:04

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 21:04
The problem with the gull wing SE model for us, is lack of manouverabilty in the High Country.
FollowupID: 638380

Reply By: Member - nrb1748 (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 20:22

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 20:22
We went through the same dilemma 3 years ago and finally decided on the Aussie Swag. The AS kitchen was better and I reckon the AS was more robust in its design and construction. It has lived up to our expectations and no particular problems with now about 25,000 k's including the Old Ghan Railway and Chambers Pillar, Tanami, Gibb River Road and Mitchell Plateua.

Good luck with your decision - it's a tough one as they are both good units.

There's an Aussie Swag users group here
nrb1748

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 371075

Follow Up By: Member RayJen Paj05 (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 19:03

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 19:03
Hi Morts - we have a 2006 Aussie Swag. It's just excellent! Been where nrb has been and we also crossed the Simpson last year. The kitchen arrangement that's more flush with the chassis makes sense to us.

Cheers, RayJen
FollowupID: 638506

Reply By: Member - Syd R (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 21:45

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 21:45
Checkout Odessey from Australian Offroad Camper there was a few 2nd hand ones on the trader site.
AnswerID: 371085

Reply By: AlanTH - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 18:26

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 18:26
We've had a Pioneer Argyle for over 3 years with no real problems apart from an incompetent twit not doing up the wheel bearings properly when doing a "complimentary" bearing and brake check!
Lack of quality control with no one keeping check on who's doing what seems to be the trouble.
There's also a lack of quality in some fittings and the way they've been put together but overall it's a good camper and we're happy with it.
The Cook has always disliked the way the canvas doesn't hang proeprly and one zip down the side of a window has split the plastic it's sown to. I believe they've changed canvas suppliers a few times for various reasons.
It's certainly gone every where we've wanted to go with no problems and we've sorted things out to suit us..
Hope this helps a bit.
Alan.

PS. Whatever you buy get a winch fitted as they're really good when a strong wind is trying to either blow it open or slam it shut when you're packing up!
AnswerID: 371204

Sponsored Links