Clarification of a point of view

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 08:21
ThreadID: 70019 Views:2878 Replies:12 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Have over the last couple of months had a couple of emails pointing out that if you don't like something why don't you bugger off. (Not from any of the owners or employees of Exploroz.)
I have and will continue to actively promote the site to all and sundry through my work and socially.
As a knowledge base and an area where one can ask and receive information there is no comparison.
The other point I would like to make is that I have'nt wanted the site to change but to evlove. Leave the forum as it is and moderate as you do, Just add to it. There is a percentage of people on here that have been here for a long time and recognize each other either through multiple posts over many years or through meeting at members gatherings. Whilst this is not everyones cup of tea it does appeal to some.
The ability of being able to have a natter with each other and still be involved with this site was all I was looking for. A direct answer to a question may or may not lead to what some people want but the indirect natter is where I find I glean the most interesting information. The little road off to the left that leads to a virtual utopia but not able to be mentioned because it is chit chat or just a general geez long time no see, Hows it going doesnt go astray.
Any way just one members point of view.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 08:29

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 08:29
Oldsquizzy,
and, it seems, the point of view of a good many members & visitors. Well stated mate.

Now bugger off until the next time, LOL.
Colin.

AnswerID: 371118

Follow Up By: Oldsquizzy (Kununurra) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 08:32

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 08:32
AH gosh golly geez......ok
FollowupID: 638415

Reply By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 08:34

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 08:34
Couldn't agree more Oldsquizzy. The info and advice i have had from here has been just short of mind blowing and of invaluable relevance to my future endeavor's. Keep up the great work Exploroz, no complaints from this newbie member.

Tony
AnswerID: 371120

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 08:55

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 08:55
Hi Oldsquizzy,
Well said and good on you for putting your thoughts to print.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 371124

Reply By: Gramps - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 09:01

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 09:01
Well said Pete.

Regards

AnswerID: 371126

Reply By: Member - Nev (TAS) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 09:06

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 09:06
As a quiet member I agree with Oldsquizzy. I also believe that the current forum and facilities provided by EO are above reproach. However in moving with the times and the frantic onset of social networking worldwide the opportunity to have a chin-wag on air is now something that is needed. Indeed several users have gone off to other sites that provide these services and the consistent use highlights the usefulness of these social chat sites. Sure we all have travel and camping in our blood but we also are human beings with families and in spite of what you would prefer, life is just not all driving through deserts. On one site we have experienced fellow travellers go through the births of two babies, and this was not without some problems unfortunately. As a group we all banded together and gave help to all during this time. I can assure you I felt as proud as any granddad would feel when the babies were born. So it is all about travel, camping sure but camaraderie is why I stay with this site more than anything else. Tell me one person who has not made some strong friendships on the EO site and I will be very surprised.
Well stated Oldsquizzy.
AnswerID: 371127

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 09:33

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 09:33
Nev,

The thought of you been a proud Grandfather to at least one of the babies has made me chuckle, That has to be proof that Tasmanians can swim hehehe

Pete,

Was it via email or MM as I think members should know better than to have a go at you about expressing your opinion.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 638422

Follow Up By: Oldsquizzy (Kununurra) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 09:39

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 09:39
MM
FollowupID: 638424

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 09:23

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 09:23
G/Day Oldsquizzy

I agree 100%, it's good to put your point of view across,whether the right people heed it is another matter.
AnswerID: 371128

Follow Up By: Oldsquizzy (Kununurra) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 09:30

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 09:30
David and Michelle have listened to different requests as evidenced by the poll at the moment.
FollowupID: 638421

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 12:09

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 12:09
Totally agree Oldsquizzy.

I do object to totally of topic stuff as it is time wasting for me, hence i support this moderation. The banter that follows in some valid threads is often all in good fun, very enjoyable and enables us to 'get to know' each other before we meet. We have the MM facility for further chit chat - for this reason i don't support a 'separate section' on the forum, or a chat room facility. All good. I will press the Alert Moderator button if a post is abusive or downright nasty - that i don't like to see.

We have met wonderful people from ExplorOz on our travels.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 371152

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 15:12

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 15:12
Typo: OFF topic
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 638471

Reply By: Horacehighroller - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 17:15

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 17:15
Gday Oldsquizzy,

In particular I am becomong more & more intollerant of intollerance.

I enjoy various discussion and learn from them particularly when there are a number of opossing thoughts put with supporting arguement/opinion.

It is very dissappointing to then have some posters ridiculed because of their point of view.

As for off topic posts I can see both sides - Yes it's entertaining for such as yourself (and me too) but for others it's just timewasting on irrelevant trivia.
Maybe two forums could be enjoyed with one "on" topic and another"off"

I'm sure others have suggested this and ultimately it's up to the owners of this EXCELLENT site to make their own decision .

Peter
AnswerID: 371199

Reply By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 19:02

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 19:02
goodday mate
were they dumb enough to leave their name also so that you can contact them back?????

ther really are some mongrels on here (probably a few say that about me)

steve
AnswerID: 371214

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 19:20

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 19:20
Yeah they do mate!!!!!!!!. LOL
Colin.

FollowupID: 638509

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:38

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:38
Oldsquizzy,

Bugger off! But you are spot on with your comments.

Steve,

You're a Mongrel!

Colin,

Well, you know don't you? But only as a favour to you, even in difficult financial times.

I like this site.

Matt.
FollowupID: 638525

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 22:29

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 22:29
Thanks Matt
But no need to do me any favours mate.
FollowupID: 638543

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 19:27

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 19:27
In my opinion, or should I say my point of view, I think we should remain aware of the reason the Exploroz forum exists.
I'm not in any position to suggest what to do, or how to do it, other than to continue to respect the wishes and maintain the integrity of the forum owners.

Presently 53% of members do NOT want any change to forum set-up guidelines.

I believe if some-one wants to have a personal, or one-on-one chat, they should use the MM system where it has no direct bearing on the thread where it's posted, or pick up a phone and say 'good'ay mate'

Maybe we need a separate area for chit-chat where the poster can send his message direct by email to the recipient and get his reply the same way, with-out involving the rest of the forum readers ??

If an individual thread was started with the same 'message' as some of the “banter” inserted into totally unrelated posts I'm sure it would be deleted, so why not have it deleted with-in an existing thread ??

As I say it's my 'point of view' and may not go along with the majority, that's life

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 371219

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 20:53

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 20:53
Q. Can anybody post on here or do they need membership?
We have met a fantastic couple from Perth because they had a EO sticker on the windscreen. On our last trip we crissed crossed the southern states and ran into them three times. They have visited us and likewise plan to visit them. One thing we all have in common is the love of travel. I read the forum regularly and have seen some good blokes move on because their enthusiasm had been crushed from what I can work out to be non members that want to cause trouble. We need people from places like Kununurra, FNQ and many places in between for road reports and the like. I am in contact with other members via our personal email. I think funny chit chat is great. If I don't want to read it I move on.
My 2boobs worth.

Sharon
AnswerID: 371237

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 22:07

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 22:07
Member - Old Girl (QLD) asks:
Q. Can anybody post on here or do they need membership?

Yes, you have posted
it cost you less than 2 bob
or should that be 2boobs worth

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 638537

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:24

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:24
I seen that and thought what the hec, more humor the better sometimes.
FollowupID: 638573

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 15:03

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 15:03
Oldsquizzy,

Don't let 'em rattle you.... I certainly don't! I have a few people have a go at me over recent times, I just ignore 'em! You (and I, and everyone else for that matter) are entitled to an opinion, and are still free to express it in Australia for the most part as far as I'm aware. I find I just make a mental note of people who's posts I don't wish to read and move on past them. It really gets on my nerves to read that someone has moved on because they have become disenchanted by others, IMHO we need as much info sharing as possible to make EO what a great forum it is. There have been times when I have considered not renewing, and indeed was a non-member for several months last year but ended up having to sign up again because the info learned is worth every cent! Stick with EO mate......
Regards

Brian
AnswerID: 371336

Sponsored Links