GU Rear Door Seals

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 13:07
ThreadID: 7003 Views:4166 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
On my last trip to Cape York the rubber seals around the barn doors on my 1998 GU patrol got so hot from vibration on the corrugations that they partially melted and I had bits of rubber stuck to the cabin side of the door opening. Needless to say this provided plenty of spots for dust ingress. As I am planning another trip to the Cape in July next year I was wondering if there is anything to be gained from fitting a set of rear door seals from the current model GU to my truck. I understand that Nissan have done some work to improve the rear door seals but have they improved the rubber compound to lessen the chance melting due to vibration.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BCC - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 13:43

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 13:43
Patrol22 we've just returned from a 1 month trip covering White Cliffs, Tibooburra, Innamincka, Birdsville and the Flinders in our 2003 Patrol ST. No problems at all with the seals melting, however, there was alot a dust that got into the vehicle, the dust even managed to break the 6 stacker that was sitting in the back.
AnswerID: 29994

Reply By: RussellV - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 14:14

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 14:14
Nissan also have released an "improved" door catch for the rear which is supposed to help lesson the vibration on the rear doors. They also told me that you don't put the aircon on recirculation mode when driving on the dirt for any length of time.. Which seems a bit bizare to me. Another thing they recommend is to purchase the rear dust deflector that mounts over the doors which is supposed to keep the air moving behind the doors which lessons the dust coming in, although that will only work over a certain speed I assume. Other people may be able to shed some light on it too.

Cheers
AnswerID: 29996

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 16:14

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 16:14
I think your melting seals are a rare occurance! First time Ive heard of it!

They GU3 seals are the go from what Ive read, they seal much better than the GU1 ones.
AnswerID: 30003

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 16:33

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 16:33
Truckster's right, I replaced my GU2 seals with GU3 seals & had little prob with dust on recent gulf trip as opposed to simpson trip last year. Also seal vents on sides between windows & rear doors. Will look into new lock as the rattle in my barn doors is driving me nuts & thats on the black top.
Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 30109

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 00:02

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 00:02
BJ

The side air vents behind the back windows you sealed.....did you seal them from the inside or outside and what did you use??

cheers
FollowupID: 21289

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 14:03

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 14:03
I hav'nt yet Andrew but will next trip from outside with duct tape.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 30257

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 20:08

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 20:08
While the later model seals would be the go, have used silicon spray on rubber seals. Stops the squeak, and would assist with lubricating them as well.

As for sealing the vehicle from dust, we always use open vent, rather than recirculate, when on dirt roads. As we have almost 200kms of dirt/gravel/bulldust, on way to town, we find this gives the best dust seal. Must try sealing the rear vents too.

Hooroo...

AnswerID: 30274

Sponsored Links