10/80 is sure death

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 20:27
ThreadID: 70037 Views:5996 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
For those of you who wish to take your dogs with you into some areas of this great country please take notice, or your dogs will die a horrible death. Thousands of 10.80 poison baits are spread throughout some areas eg W.A every year to control the wild dog problems. The baits are spread in certain areas by vehicle,mostly on bush tracks,and by air. Meat baits are used and may be in a small sausage form or a small piece of meat and your pet dogs will sniff them out for sure so please take heed and be educated about this poison. Keep your dog on a lead at all times, and keep them muzzled,take notice of the warning signs ,ask local dept of agricultual about baiting areas, but i have heard that crows can transport the baits and drop them. I HAVE SEEN THE BAITS REGULARLY AROUND DAMS AND BUSH TRACKS ,AND ONCE POISON SYMPTOMS ARE NOTICED IT IS TOO LATE , We were extremely careful with our dog but one day we dropped our guard and the result was a horrible death.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - G N (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 20:55

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 20:55
yep your right
met a bloke at innaminka once who lost his dog at thargominda and was pretty sad tale
GN
AnswerID: 371238

Reply By: Member - Tony F (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 20:58

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 20:58
I am told that if they pick up an old dried out rabbit that died of 10 80, that will also kill them.
It is easy to see where it has been used. There are no birds of prey. Hawks etc.... As for crows, well it's nearly impossible to poison them. They will distribute bates by vomiting them up. I know of two GSP,S that died on the other side of the Hume Weir from where 1080 poison was used. The Government thinks it is good stuff though. And yes it is a shocking death.
Cheers. Tony F
AnswerID: 371239

Reply By: Member - Stuart P (WA) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 22:54

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 22:54
1080 does not adversely affect native birds of prey in wa , gastrolobium plants(the direct extraction for 1080) is part of the food chain with all natives in wa . if your dog has taken a bait . restrain the animal and rehydrate it , keep the animals movement to a minimum. the animal must be physically restrained . super hydrate with hartmans for at least 4 hrs
AnswerID: 371260

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart P (WA) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 22:55

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 22:55
then get the animal to medical help
FollowupID: 638546

Reply By: disco driver - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 00:12

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 00:12
Used properly and in the correct dose to bait size ratio, 1080 is a very effective method of controlling feral animal pests in Australia, particularly in West Aust.

There are a number of criteria that must be adhered to in order to limit damage to non target species.

Briefly these relate to the size of the bait used, the concentration of 1080 in each bait, the desired target species and its feeding habits, the perceived number of target animals in the given area and the number of baits laid.

Contrary to public opinion, there is a lot of research put into using 1080 in the field, and it is an ongoing research project in WA.

For example:
Baits for wild dogs are usually in a dried meat bait approx 30mm square,and are laid at 1or 2baits /sqKm. This bait contains enough 1080 to destroy 1 dog. Any of the smaller carnivorous native animals cannot eat sufficient of that bait material to ingest a lethal dose of 1080.

It is an established fact that, as Stuart mentioned, the native species in WA have evolved in the presence of oxylobium and gastrolobium species and have built up a tolerance to this toxin.
These plants produce sodium mono flouroacetate (1080) naturally and, again despite the mis held idea that 1080 is extracted from these plants, all the 1080 used in Australia is a manufactured chemical .

More information can be found on this site by using the search function, it's been widely commented on here.

Even more can be found on agricwa.gov.au

Disco
(who used to work in the Feral Animal control are with Agric WA)

AnswerID: 371269

Reply By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 01:12

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 01:12
Some good info on 1080 can be found

Here

and

Here

The above links are from the Q'ld and Tas DPI's, no doubt the practices in WA (& elsewhere) would be very similar (depending on the target species)..

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 371273

Reply By: workhorse - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 16:20

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 16:20
There is no antidote for 1080 poisoning in dogs. having seen many of these cases in clinc, those that have eaten a bait have no success rate and die a most agonising death of all the bait/toxins around. Physical restraint can exacerbate the muscle tremors. If you see the animal eat it make it vomit immediately and get it some where for help
AnswerID: 371343

Follow Up By: Member - Mary W NW VIC - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 17:42

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 17:42
Just how do you induce a dog to vomit,Thanks,Mary
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 638623

Follow Up By: disco driver - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 17:56

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 17:56
Mary,
The easiest way to make a dog vomit is to force feed it highly salted water through a hose and funnel. You will have to restrain the dog so that it cannot open it's mouth and also not escape.

Running round will increase the uptake of the toxin in the dogs system and very much shorten the time you have to work in.

It is very traumatic for the owner, the dog and for anyone watching, but it is the only real chance you will have to save your pet

At best it's a 50/50 chance, but it is better than doing nothing.

Disco.

FollowupID: 638627

Follow Up By: disco driver - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 17:58

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 17:58
Sorry,
I should have included that time is of the essence when dealing with cases of 1080 poisoning.

Disco.
FollowupID: 638631

Reply By: Tenpounder (SA) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 18:00

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 18:00
To Mary. I read in my how-to book about Hydrogen peroxide as a way to induce vomiting, and it really works. The instruction I followed were a mixture of 50% water and 50% hydrogen peroxide in the standard strength of 3%, and a tablespoon of this mixture for each 10 pounds of body weight (it is a British book). The book said "after the stomach has settled, give a teaspoon of Epsom satls in a little water to empty the intestine" (I didn't get that far: the vet took over, and said that what I had done in administering the hydrogen peroxide brew was all she would/could have done).
Hope this helps
AnswerID: 371362

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 18:11

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 18:11
SO hint; hint: our First Aid kit contains a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide plus a rprinted sheet of instructions. Not just for 10/80, but for toadstools and other nasties. Allyou need is a Cocker Spaniel to find out what disgusting things dogs will go for.
FollowupID: 638635

Reply By: Member - Mary W NW VIC - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 20:27

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 20:27
Many thanks for the infomation.
A copy of your instructions would be most helpful for the First Aid kit '
how did you administer?
only way I can think of is via syringe with small tube
She's a tenterfield terrier called Rosy-a bit like Doug's Dusty-7 yro and a great mate so all these little tips are very much appreciated,
Mary
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 371388

Sponsored Links