Can't Afford F250 to tow 5th wheeler - This May Work?

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 20:41
ThreadID: 70038 Views:3882 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
What's that...? You don't have a F250 to tow your 3,500kg. 5th wheeler....fear not!!! A little careful, well thought out engineering can solve your problem...
Class lll Hitch Install... (patent pending..)
Wouldn't you love to see how the trip went...? Good chance he ended up doing some unintended off roading somewhere. How would ya like to meet this rig on a two-lane road...coming down the mountain in your direction...?

Image Could Not Be Found

She's hitched up and ready to roll!! Amazing how the extra weight smoothes out the ride.
Needed to air up the rear tyres a bit ('bout 160 psi).

Image Could Not Be Found

Added some super heavy-duty chain for extra support on the tailgate, (note the 'Heavy-Duty 'S' hooks to attach the chain)
Also paid-up for some BIG Number 5/16 sheet metal screws to attach the Reese hitch frame to the tailgate
(see 'em there? one on each side...) Likely two more through the carpet into the floor pan inside...
Yep, probably overkill, but didn't want the possibility of having an accident.

Image Could Not Be Found

Most of the time was spent on the front porch whittling down that MASSIVE solid pine 4x4 to fit precisely down into the
hole in the ball mount receiver.
Note also - The 14’'x14’' piece of 3/8’' plywood on the underside of the tailgate to distribute the load more evenly
and beef up that tailgate support.
'A MAN CAN'T BE TOO SAFE'...!!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 20:47

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 20:47
Hi Saharaman, I've seen your first picture before, but not the pictures showing the incredible lengths you went to, to ensure safety. The timber and bent wire 'S' hooks would make a hell of a difference! Lolololol, good one!
Cheers, Dave
AnswerID: 371235

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:50

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:50
Damn!! Ive got barn doors on the Patrol!!!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 371322

Sponsored Links