Site slow for anyone?

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:34
ThreadID: 70042 Views:2533 Replies:13 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Last two days i have hardly been able to get onto ExplorOz or look at anything as it is too slow and usually doesn't get there at all. I am on my son's computer, and his ADSL is at dial up speed (gone over monthly allocation). Surely ExplorOz still works OK for people on dial up?

Also search is not bringing up the topic on the Gary Junction Road where we talked about permits, including 32 days and still not heard back from DIA, and inconsistencies in the permit from CLC. Anyone know the thread number? I was from a week or two ago.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:39

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:39
I'm not experiencing your problem but when I open FORUM in always opens on page no 3.
Rob
The outback calls

AnswerID: 371250

Reply By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:47

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:47
Hi Motherhen,

I had the same problem last month, when my ADSL connection was slowed to 64k. I didn't get access back until my normal speed resumed at the end of the month.

I tried using Firefox and Chrome browsers, in case it was an IE problem, but these made no difference.

Graeme

Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 371254

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:51

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:51
Hi Motherhen, I think the thread you are looking for is 69542. The site is slow for me too, and my ADSL is at normal speed. I searched for your thread, found it, and my browser just locked up,,,, nor could I insert the thread number as a link. Ah well, David will be back on board in the morning :-))
Cheers, Dave
AnswerID: 371255

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:58

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:58
Thanks, that's the one. Other websites are working OK, just not ExOz. It even gives me error messages half the time when i go to the log in screen.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 638533

Reply By: Gramps - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:52

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:52
MH,

Is this what you're after ?

AnswerID: 371256

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:54

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 21:54
thanks, that's the one
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 638529

Reply By: Member - Vivien C (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 22:25

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 22:25
Hello Motherhen,

I have problems with Exploroz sometimes...my main one at the moment is that I can't delete a member message..even though I've opened it. I also cannot reply to the message it just refuses to send. I've also been unable to vote.

With the Gary Junction Road permit it's puzzling because we applied ages ago and got the WA side DIA permit in a few days without any problems. We also got the NT one from the CLC within a few days too.

I hope you sort your permits out soon.

All the best

Viv
AnswerID: 371259

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 23:02

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 23:02
What I have found is that if you go over your download or whatever type of allocation you are on then generally the ISP will hit speeds severely. Hence I moved up to speeds where I will never reach the monthly download allocation, but, occasionally I also have minor problems when traffic loads are high on Telstra's backbone.

Regards
Paul H
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 371262

Reply By: Serendipity of Mandurah (WA) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 08:27

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 08:27
Hi Motherhen

Yes I am having the exact same problems as you. I have gone over my ADSL limit and am running on a shaped connection for peak times = evenings. I can't get ExplorOz to load but I can get any other website to load. In the mornings when my off peak ADSL allocation is still running it is fine.

I tried with my laptop which has a built in dial up modem and the same issue - won't connect to ExplorOz at all but can connect to any other website. Somehow ExplorOz is running too heavy for slow connections or dial up.

Very frustrating.

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 371278

Reply By: StormyKnight - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 09:13

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 09:13
Yep same as me.....EXPLOROZ will not work if you have exceeded your monthly download limit & have been shaped....

Oddly both national & international forum web sites still do...

There must be some sort of time-out that stops the ExploreOz server from futher response on a slow connection...

I hope it can be looked into, I'm limited to browsing from another connection until I'm reset again :(
AnswerID: 371284

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 09:16

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 09:16
I would suggest if the site works for some at the usual fast speed and slow for others logging on at the same time, then it may not be a site problem, it's maybe with your ISP speed or a computer problem - not the user but the software/hardware.

I use WestNet with Firefox on Broardband and have no problems, takes ~3 seconds to load from the desktop icon.

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 371288

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 17:19

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 17:19
I have now logged on via next g broadband on the laptop and it is no problem, but was hopefess on the dial up speed. Thanks for the replies.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 371350

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 19:11

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 19:11
MH,

Can you tell me what does and does not work - even send me a few screen grabs or error message you get - I cannot look into it without knowing where to look?

----Everyone-----
I have heard of some shaped problems with ad networks and I would like to find out where the problems are so if this is happening to you please do not just complain on the forum send me some details so that we can work towards a real solution. I do not know if it is the ad network or anything else at this stage ecuase when I shaped my line I did not see any problems. please help me to help you and send me screen grabs of pages or error messages thanks.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 638642

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 12:37

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 12:37
Hi David

I can't do this as we are leaving shortly, and it was when on my son's computer with the shaping. Usually just failed to load ExOz at all (blank screen), or got forum but not fully loaded so couldn't use. Just all incredibly slow. Maybe someone else can help you solve this.

I am on the laptop now which is fine.

Thanks

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 638719

Follow Up By: StormyKnight - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 12:07

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 12:07
Thanks David, what I experienced when shaped was the header at the top would show, but then the rest of the site would not...

I noticed it today when loading the site, the first thing you see is the header, then a short time latter the rest of the page is shown. Its the rest of the page that never comes up for me when shaped.

My details are
ISP Bigpond ADSL 512k shaped to 64k
I have tried IE7, Firefox & chrome...all do the same

Note that I also had issues with loading facebook using IE7 at the same time, thats why I loaded firefox on my computer. Firefox loaded facebook without issue.

I'm assuming that the remainder of the page below the header is dynamic & needs to be created on the fly by your web server, could this be the issue if there is a long time to download the header section before requesting the dynamic section?

Thanks
Richard
FollowupID: 638891

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 12:22

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 12:22
Richard,

The server should not give a rats about your performance and will be delivering the content regardless. I must confuss to be a little in the dark about this issue as the site works on dial up speeds - there are some largish script downloads that will happen just after the header is loaded though they should be cached and are still only about 120KB - it should be delivered even on shaped in a few seconds.

We had our service shapped a few months ago and the site worked fine - a litle slower across 5 machines on a shapped service however it worked none the less. I have changed our ad delivery platform to Sensis since this time and wonder if the ad server may have something to do with the issue.

I need to get to a system that is not working. If you get a chance when the page fails I need to get a copy of the view source page in email. This way I will be able to see if the html body has been delivered or not. If you were using Firefox and Firebug we could work out exaclty what is happening however this is a very technical task and not something I would ask anyone to do that does not know how all this works. However if you can email me a copy of the view source from a page that has failed to load that would be great (david@exploroz.com) - if not I will try to work out a test environment to see what happens.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 638894

Follow Up By: StormyKnight - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 19:02

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 19:02
Thats interesting that what you say about the ad server because because if I remember correctly the status bar was indicating that it was trying to download something with 'ad' in the url.....Is that done after the initial title bars are loaded? This may be the issue, since i would assume that these are random & not cacheable....so reloading the site would not help.

FollowupID: 639121

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 19:22

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 19:22
It is interesting that this error has also only shown up since switching ad server companies. Let me ask them about this issue and see what they come back with.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 639131

Follow Up By: StormyKnight - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 19:30

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 19:30
Yep no worries....I have loaded FIREBUG onto Firefox & performed a Net Panel analysis of the site...I can't seem to see any way to save the information, but since I'm no longer throttled it is working fine ofcourse....

The only thing I can do is repeat when I am throttled & see where it gets hung up.

FollowupID: 639134

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 21:07

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 21:07
David,
Have just got this message (below) now, so I went to "Firefox Most Visited" and have come in that way....

have not had the hassle previously, was going to tell you "Spell Check" often does not work for me, but it did tonight :-))

Maîneÿ . . .

Server Error in '/' Application.
The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /ExplorOz/Forum/Topic/70042/Site_slow_for_anyone.aspx

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3053; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3053
AnswerID: 371397

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 12:33

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 12:33
I just got that error, when trying to go direct to thread from link in email notification of David's follow up!

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 638718

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 16:11

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 16:11
David,
I too have found the site slow to load and change pages etc.
I am on wireless broadband through an Optus USB thumb drive.
My system does load all other sites reasonably quickly at around 5 times the speed of this site.
I do get all of this site however without any probs except the slow load.
I am not teck minded so it is just my observations.
I thought it may be due to all the small adds etc attached down the right hand side.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 371662

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 18:03

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 18:03
Can anyone suggest a "reliable" internet speed check site, where their computer up and/or download speeds can be checked ?

These are some sites I've found:
(close the gaps to copy/paste them)

www . speedtest .net
www . ip-adress .com/speedtest
www . bandwidthplace .com
www . internettrafficreport .com
www . broadbandspeedtest .net

are there some sites more reliable than some others ??

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 371677

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 18:44

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 18:44
My ISP recomended :-> www . ozspeedtest . com

so it would be reliable and I would delete those in my post above - if I could

My laptop result there and also at www . speedtest . net was 50KB/s

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 638951

Sponsored Links