Tyres...in Adelaide

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 14:02
ThreadID: 7005 Views:2601 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I've just bought a 2000 Prado and need to re-tyre it...I'm thinking about either BFGs or Bridgestone A/Ts (will come down to cost) and wondering if anyone knows a good place to buy tyres in Adelaide. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 14:30

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 14:30
Should'nt come down to just cost. You really need a tyre to suit what you are going to do. I either use Beaurepaires in Gouger St ask for Troy or Bridgestone further down the road from there in Gouger St. Both places know their tyres.
I have a TD Prado and have run many tyres. Currently running Goodyear Wrangler AT/S which have a high load rating 'rating D" I think. Best tyres for my application to date. Quiet on the black top, great in the wet and very good off road for an A/T tyre and don't seem to flick up a lot of stones on the Flinders roads. Also after several Km's up the Flinders and Oodnadatta track there has been no chipping. Done 20K on them and only used 3mm of rubber, so should get very long tyre life.
But then it is up to you what you want. I think you also have to be wary of wear tyres are made eg I think BFG's are made in America and Indonesia/japan or somewhere. I think one is better than the other from other discussions but not sure which. Also you need to decide which size to go for. I went for 265/75's and this actually made my speedo correct to the GPS . Also tyres in this size are more readily available in the bush. I am told even the old 750x16 tyre has the same diameter so if you are really stuck then I am sure you will find something in the right size. Being constant 4wd THIS IS CRITICALWe have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 29997

Reply By: Phil G - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 18:35

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 18:35
A lot of people in our club are using Kellys as they cost about $225 each for the 265/75 for the Prado - get them at Tyrepower - plenty of outlets in Adelaide. Same load rating as the ones David mentioned.

I run Goodyear MTR 265/75R16 on my Prado, and bought them from Troy at Beaurepaires in Gouger Street as well. But later heard of someone else getting them cheaper from a Goodyear outlet. I went for the MTRs because I wanted an aggressive tyre, they look the part and have a 3 ply construction. And haven't been chipping as much as the BFGs and Coopers. Lots of problems with the recent BFGs, and Bridgestone are a little variable, but I gather the South Aussie made ones are OK.
AnswerID: 30019

Sponsored Links