how would it go

Submitted: Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 17:40
ThreadID: 70065 Views:2441 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all looking at going out to birdsville(from brisbane area) and then down the birdsville track.We'll be towing a jayco outback poptop but i have been told the road from windorah to birdsville may be to ruff for the van.Planning to go about two weeks before the birdsville races.Won't be going flatout driving to the conditions etc.So how would we go any comments greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - beachbum - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 17:46

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 17:46
Just go for it. If, as you say, you will drive to conditions you will not have any problems. Make sure you have a look at Dion's lookout.keep your tyre pressures a bit lower than for the black stuff though.
AnswerID: 371357

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 19:11

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 19:11
Good tyres and some sort of protection screen between van and the rear of your vehicle if you like your rear windows.
Shane
AnswerID: 371370

Reply By: Mopar - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 19:37

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 19:37
Thanks for the replies.I thought we would be right as along as we poke along.Getting new tyres for the trip.
AnswerID: 371375

Reply By: toyotabits .........VKS-737 ...mobile 2629 - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 20:37

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 20:37
G'day mopar, 15 years ago we did the whole birdsville track in a standard 1978 falcon wagon, Birdsville to Adelaide, only 5 punctures ( no ground clearance) we carried extra tubes in case, now it is a serviced road - little challenge! we did Birdsville races, Maree, Adelaide, Broken Hill, Louth, Brisbane in 8 days & enjoyed every minute, have a go! extra tubes & changing practice may help, have fun, regards, aussiedingo
AnswerID: 371389

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 16:46

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 16:46
5 Punctures in that short distance , In 1967 in my 62 EK I went from Waikerie (home) to Perth, Carnarvon (end of sealed road to Darwin), Wittenoom, Marble Bar, Pt Hedland, Darwin, Alice Springs, Oodnadatta, Maree, to Waikerie, had only 1 blow out and that was in the usual section I always seemed to get one, between Liegh Creek and Hawker, the tyres were Goodyear G800's , Radial's hadn't been on the market all that long then,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 638751

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 01:23

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 01:23
If you think the Windorah - Birdsville stretch is a bit rough then don't go south from Birdsville. In the last week I have driven Windorah - Birdsville - Boulia. I have a standard pop-top on a Preston chassis. I drove the gravel stretches at speeds over 70 km/h for all but a couple of kilometres on the way to Birdsville. The only poor roads I struck were in the Boulia Shire but you will be wholly in the Diamantina Shire.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 371429

Reply By: GypsyOne - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 07:30

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 07:30
I have recently returned from traversing the Birdsville track, S to N and passed a Getz towing a Cub camper. After seeing that I reckon anything is possible.

Mind you the first 90klms or so south of Birdsville is pretty good but after that the road gets a bit rough and has plenty of rocky shaly sections.

We had a piece of 3 ply on the rear window for protection (worked a treat) and definitely lower your tyre pressures. Lower tyre pressures will help but is not a guarantee; we still did a tyre on the CT on the Birdsville Track.

The races are in September so in August when you are planning to travel might have the road conditions completely different.Check again closer to the time you plan to travel.
AnswerID: 371434

Sponsored Links