HJ 60 and Repairs

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 16:24
ThreadID: 7007 Views:2546 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all,
I am 19, pretty much just about to buy a faun green HJ60 Landcruiser diesel w/ 215000ks for $5000. Now there are a few things RACQ picked up, but the main things i am concerned with is a small oil seep coming from the transfer case, and the master clutch cyclinder is leaking and the slave dust boot is totally worn. Now i need to get these repaired obviously, but i am looking at anyone who has had similar trouble, and just trying to work out whether the whole transfer case will need to be a replaced or just a seal, and the clutch stuff, whether it needs replacing or what advice you can give me with regards to any cool stuff you have found over your tripping.

Regards Campbell
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cert - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 16:35

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 16:35
Just though i would also mention i live in brisbane queensland, and yeah any good mecs out there or anyone that thinks they a reasonably priced mech, i would be happy to hear about too.
AnswerID: 30006

Reply By: zigglemeister - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 18:48

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 18:48
The seal btwn the gearbox and the transfer case often goes on these, and the oil travels from one to the other, can't remember which way though. Check the oil levels in both. A common fix is to install an external equaliser pipe between the two.
Tim Z
AnswerID: 30022

Follow Up By: cert - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 11:42

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 11:42
Can you do this pipe work yourself? Is it hard, remembering i have no idea about vehicle engines, though i am good at following instuction manuals. Also i was wondering what you thought of those ERP (RUST PROTECTION) things you can get for the cruiser???
FollowupID: 21595

Reply By: Frankenstein - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 20:50

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 20:50
60 Series leak oil everywhere!. If you have one that doesn't leak oil then you probably need to put oil in it. That said the vehicle test is the best thing you could have done.
Here is why...
Engine rebuild - $6500 - $10,000 (diesel)
Gearbox $1500 - $3000
Transfer case $1500- $3000
Diffs $1500 ea
Don't replace the transfer case or else you will probably get one that has done 300,000+ K's. The seals on the propeller shafts are the most common and very easy to replace. Mine was leaking out of the transfer case gasket (between the two halves) A job requiring $40 parts and about 5hours labor.

The landcruisers have separate oil in the transfer case and the gearbox and an oil seal inbetween. Because the transfer case has an oil pump in it, the xfer case oil finds its way into the gearbox (up hill) - this is a real common fault. Keep a constant eye on the levels, if you notice the gearbox is over full and the xfer case getting empty fit a bypass hose kit between the two filler caps to drain the oil back down again (this usually happens after 250,000 K's). You can replace offending seal (at great expense) only to have the problem back in 6 months.
Clutch boots and seals are just minor maintenance, just get used to it you will be forever putting your hand into your pocket as long as you keep driving it.

Spring shackle rubbers, oil seals on the front of the engine, diffs and gearbox will need to be replaced as the vehicle ages - the genuine oil seals from Toyota (about $17 ea) have external dust seals on them which prolongs the life of the seal - go for these if you can.

They are a great truck and very capable, many of the mechanics reacon they are one of the best out there.

Cheers
Alan

Frankenstein is the name of the truck (blame the kids!)
AnswerID: 30032

Reply By: Cruza - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 21:25

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 21:25
G'day mate,

I'm 20 and I bought my 1982 60 series cruiser about 4 months ago. Its a 4 speed diesel and mate, its the best thing I have ever bought!!!

I have had 4 other cars including a holden v8 and other 6 cycl cars and this thing is just a whole other world!

Heres some positives...

Tough as nails! You get the feeling tha teven if you had a heap of minor problems these tuff trucks would keeping going an going ie Good farm vehicle style.

They are easy to work on and learn on. Also they are easy to customise to suit your needs.

They are economical. I get at least 650 kms per tank (usually around 85 litres). This is how I drive it which is pretty hard wihtout over revving it.

There are heaps more positves. Only negatives I can see as a young fella are they are not as fast as an 80 sreies for example. Some oldies probably think that is a good thing! Also things like rego/insurance/tyres/oil changes are a little more costly than say your typical doof doof 4 cyclinder jap car (yuk!).

EMail me at joshua_canaris@hotmail.com if you wanna talk more aobut these beasts. More young guys should get into these trucks!
AnswerID: 30039

Reply By: Sparky - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 15:27

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 15:27
I have a 60series and have found a great mechanic on the northside - try 4x4 excellence @ Brendale...Dave knows his stuff...enjoy your truck...they are great! I am often on UHF - channel 21.

Sparky (Dan)
AnswerID: 30101

Reply By: ToyMotor - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 19:55

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 19:55
I had a 60 for 9 years - sometimes I wish I kept it, it only had 400,000 on it when I sold it!

Only a small seep from the transfer? Definitely a good one! The 2/4wd selector shaft seal is a common culprit, or could be output shaft seals - both cheap, and easy to change. Don't replace the transfer case in a fit - maybe put a rebuild kit in it if you can't hear the radio above the whine. Kits contain bearings, seals and idler shaft, and a gasket, maybe shims if you're lucky. If it jumps out of 4wd it's probably just lack of pre-load on the transfer case output shaft, again, cheap and easy, but looks like a $3000 problem to the, how shall I put it, "ideal customer".

Same goes for clutch master and slave - cheap and easy.

Buy the car, and a manual, do the work yourself - you won't regret it!!

Cheers
AnswerID: 30138

Sponsored Links