Road cond Tibooburra, Noccundra, Thargomindah area

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 10:55
ThreadID: 70075 Views:6432 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi... We have a Coromal 17'6" pop-top (not off-road) towed by a Nissan Diesel Navara. We will be heading for Broken Hill from Adelaide soon, we would like to go to Birdsville and are thinking of going via Tibooburra, Noccundra, Burke and Wills Dig Tree, Thargomindah,Quilpie, Windorah. We are only set up to free-camp for about 2 nights at a time. We then would like to go from Birdsville to Mt Isa with a stop at Boulia.
Any helpful info would be great. Are we being too ambitious with our plans considering our van is not off-road?

Vanlea.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 13:31

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 13:31
I am not sure that I would attempt that trip with that van.
I would imagine you will have to stop every now and again to check the condition of the van on those roads.
There can be potholes, bulldust and washouts anywhere along that route, and unless you have a sturdy van, it won't stand up to the vibrations.
Clearance could also be a big problem if you strike some washouts and gutters.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 371492

Reply By: Member - colin M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 15:18

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 15:18
Pretty hard road on any van around Innamincka and Birdsville have a look at my blog on Lake Eyre trip there may be some photos that would help. Thargo to Inna is mainly bitumen but there is large parts that are referred to as the up and down road, corrugations in bitumen. Good spa at the Quilpie caravan park.
AnswerID: 371507

Reply By: zook - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 15:52

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 15:52
stockas,

i drove some of those roads recently.

the dirt part of the road from thargominda to innamincka is in pretty good condition, though a little rough and rocky in places. you would be able to do it in your van if you took it easy.. though you will need a stone guard. There were a few non-offroad vans in innamincka that i saw.

i don't know how you plan on getting up to birdsville from innamincka, your van will rattle apart on cordilllo downs road and you won't make walkers crossing. but if you get to birdsville, then the road up to boulia is in good condition with bitumen/dirt alternating. I don't think you'll have much trouble if you drive to the conditions on that part of the trip.

cheers,

zook
AnswerID: 371514

Sponsored Links