Landcruiser BJ42/ FJ40

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 16:42
ThreadID: 7009 Views:6978 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi i am a uni student and I am thinking about buying a toyota landcruiser bj42/FJ40, i would like to do several trips up north and west but also need to use it to run around the city. I know they are old and a bit rough but can someone please advise me on wether i am making a good decision
Thanks Aaron
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: zigglemeister - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 18:43

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 18:43
Hi Aaron,

All depends on how rich a uni student you are... FJ40's are a great truck, but most of them these days fall into one of two categories: (a) someone's already done a lot of work to make it into a nice truck, and accordingly want a lot of money for it; or (b) the work hasn't been done yet, so there's a lot of it to do! They are extremely thirsty in the petrol versions, and both petrol and diesel can be really expensive to fix if there's work that needs doing. Personally, I'd look hard at a Daihatsu Rocky instead, especially if you can find a turbo-diesel one, or an earlier 4-Runner. Both are a really good truck, and IMHO much better value for money. But if you do get an FJ40 you'll probably fall in love with it anyway, even if it does keep costing you a mint, there's just something about them...

That's my two cents worth, others will no doubt follow!
Tim Z
AnswerID: 30021

Reply By: fj45ute - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 14:02

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 14:02
Hi Aaron
I purchased a fj45 ute 5 years ago, while I was studying at Uni and now I am out in the working world I still own it. It is one of thoise things, it's old, noisy, expensive to run but I still can't seem to part with it. Beside the intial purchase price it has cost me 1 new engine, 3 sets of tyre, 2 sets of shocks, a couple of batteries, 3 trips to the panel shop for rust, 1 for chassis strengthing, several sets of bearings etc etc. However it has taken me to the Cape 3 times, nemerous weekend trips around North Queensland and will be my strusty stead off to Fraser Island next week.

So the point is there are better and more economical vechiles in the price range but for good fun and relationship that you won't be able to break a 45 is excellent.

Matt
AnswerID: 30095

Reply By: Ryan - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 15:06

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 15:06
Hiya,
I own a 1978 Bj40 Lancruiser. I love it to death , but it is a lot of work. Dont buy one unless you are prepared to spend some money on it. As said before, most have either been done up, or need a lot of work done to them. These cars really do attract a lot of rust... so you'll be hard pressed to find one thats not in bad condition. Otherwise your up for some expensive panelwork. Can you weld? Mechanically, the fj40's are very heavy on the fuel, however parts are a lot easier to find that the bj40/42's. Not many B series engines around. Great cars, but unless your willing to spend time and money on them, maintaining them or doing them up, they are probably not for you.

Another great website to check out if your intrested in cruisers, especially 40 series, is www.ih8mud.com

Ryan
AnswerID: 30100

Reply By: BJ42turbo - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 18:51

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 18:51
I have a 1981 BJ42 with a 3B diesel and an after market Turbo. I love it to bits and I have owned it for the last 6 years, having said that if i had to drive it on daily basis I proberly would not say the same as they are not the most comfortable thing to drive..................Dazz
AnswerID: 30129

Sponsored Links