Stiff Transfer Case shift - 80 Series

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 09:41
ThreadID: 70134 Views:7676 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi.

Shifting between high and low range in my 1991 80 Series Landcruiser has become very difficult due to stiffness. I have no doubt that this is due to a buildup of dust and dirt in the shift mechanism.

Is there an easy fix for this? Removing the gearbox/transfer case is probably beyond my capabilities. I am hoping I can get to it from within the cabin.

I will have the carpet and seats out over the next few days and so it presents an opportunity to fix it if I can.

Thanks in advance.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David Will (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 11:31

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 11:31
Hi Jack,

I have had the same problem in 1993 80 series.

all l did was pull all the pull everything off the top eg gear knobs , rubber boots, then you can get to the shifter very easy.

all l did was pull it off and give it a good spray with CRC or WD-40 to give it a good clean, dry it out and then coat it in graphite to help with it not sticking again for a while.

Very easy fix, l have had to do it a few times after going in some deep holes with mud and water.

hope this helps,

David Will
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

AnswerID: 371774

Follow Up By: guzzi - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 13:02

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 13:02
what David said.
I had the same problem, same fix.
cheers
FollowupID: 639069

Reply By: Member - Jack - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 14:27

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 14:27
Thank you. I was hoping it was easy to fix. I assume I just unbolt the shift lever from the top of the box and draw it out. Sounds good to me.
Cheers
jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

AnswerID: 371794

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 22:33

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 22:33
The bit that needs lube should be covered in grease to keep water out...its not lifting up to low ...is it....if you can get the top off without taking the vinyl out, even easier...there is a rubber boot under the floor boots.
Andrew
FollowupID: 639161

Sponsored Links