Camper insurance - Questions for insurance company

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 14:21
ThreadID: 70141 Views:2721 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Team..

I've done this on Myswag too, and attempted to search here for additional information, but gave up.

This insurance gig, what are the questions a person (Newby like me) should ask when insuring a campertrailer?

- Are you covered onroad or offroad anywhere in Australia?
- Are occasional drivers insured (EG: if I hurt myself, and mate tows it home once in a lifetime)
- Are you covered on Islands - EG Fraser Island etc.
- What is classed as an Isolated Location? (Read this on the Cape thread Myswag forum)
- Are there any Geographical Boundaries at all?
- Does the track have to be on a map - if so whose map, and can they supply the map?
=----- A 4wd club map (Some clubs have their own maps)
=----- Rooftop map, Adventurer map, watching a Les Hiddens DVD etc
=----- Does it need to be a Government printed map?
=----- Tourist center maps?
=----- Private Property/Park map?

- Are you covered on Club Properties?
- Are you covered on Private Property?
- Are you covered for Water/River Crossings?
- Are softsided trailers covered? (From myswag thread: Some insurers have a problem with contents in what they classify was soft sided - Just be carefull with CIL, while they will happily insure your camper, they are one of the mobs who may decline contents cover of a soft side camper. eg canvas)

- Are you covered if the trailer is not attached to the car?
- Are you covered for basecamping - leave the trailer unattended?
- Are excess different if it needs recovering offroad to onroad?
- Are there limitations to the recovery?
- If there are repairs, is the van then delivered to your home if it is repaired in another state?
- Are you covered for inside the tent?
- Are you covered inside the Annexe if it is enclosed?
- Is the tent considered part of the annexe (I read this on another forum)?
- Are you covered for cameras, or electrical goods inside the trailer/annexe?
- Are locked toolboxes covered?
- Are Solar panels covered?
- Are you covered for storm/flood damage? (eg Tree falls, struck by lightning)
- Is Pay by the month option? If so is it extra?
- How many make-an-excuse-to-get-out-of-paying departments do you have?

Anything else you can think of, or have asked yourself??
Captain Shoelace.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Landy - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 17:10

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 17:10
Insurance questions of this nature often appear on the forum and they are reasonable considerations.

However, the most important thing to remember about comprehensive insurance is just that - it is comprehensive. Read the PDS that the insurance company provide as all the detail must be provided within that document.

If it is not excluded in the PDS, it is included in your cover.

The more you ask an insurance company to define precisely what it is they are covering, the more limiting it becomes for you the insured.....

AnswerID: 371815

Reply By: Gramps - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 17:24

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 17:24
"How many make-an-excuse-to-get-out-of-paying departments do you have? "

LOL they only need one but it's worth asking :)))

AnswerID: 371818

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)