Aftermarket Turbo

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 17:37
ThreadID: 70144 Views:3425 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all just got price for a turbo for my hilux 2002 3 litre diesel 5LE motor
anybody got any feedback on this dont want to do it if there is going to be long term or short term problems any feedback will be appreciated

cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 20:57

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 20:57
One of the harder motors to tinker with.You will need to chip the engine to deliver more fuel or have the pump removed and modified.You just carnt screw in more fuel.
AnswerID: 371856

Reply By: Member - Porl - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 21:18

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 21:18
do a search, i went down that track. The factory turbo has a strenghened engine and gearbox. So if you whack on a turbo on the non-factory turbo you are doing to it something the toyota engineers would not. You may get away with it long term, you may not, depends on your driving style I suppose.

I went a chip, got the same motor as you, makes a difference, but overfuels over 3000 rpm, i can tell by the volumes of black smoke I get that i did not get without the chip, however i get my 12.5% increase where I actually use it, round the 1500 to 2500rpm range. Probably should be changing my oil every 2,500km though cause of the over fuelling. No noticeable change in economy, was supposed to go down but I haven't noticed that.
AnswerID: 371862

Reply By: Wherehegon - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 22:47

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 22:47
I went down this track with my old 2.8D hilux, I know they are slightly different but after doing a lot of research about it and asking questions on here I decided against it. One of the major issues was overheating even with bigger radiator, bigger exhaust etc. As mentioned above they weren't built for a turbo. They may be ok short term but I think in the long run you take away thr reliability and so forth. Yes there slow, pain in the rear when pulling up hills or towing but they are so reliable standard. I now have a factory turbo prado 01 model. Huge difference in power, torque and can hold any speed limits needed, uses a tad more juice then the old lux around town but on open road running the same litres per 100 (around 10L) If you want a bit more go I would add a 2 1/2 exhaust, set of extractors, you can add a chip to yours been the 5LE motor and you will be surprised with the extra torque. It still wont be a rocket ship or go like a turbo BUT it will hold better higher speeds. I noticed a big difference in pulling up hills, top speed was only a few klms more and fuel actually dropped by a litre or two. The standard manifold are very restricted and so is the exhaust. DONT just add an exhaust without the extractors, you will be wasting money you need to do the whole thing.. Either that if $$$ allows sell and grab a factory turbo lux. Regards Steve
AnswerID: 371875

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 22:52

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 22:52
Forgot to say, change the oil and filter every 5k, they are not as bad as the old 2.8 in sludging up but they will do it. Regards Steve
FollowupID: 639165

Reply By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 09:52

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 09:52
Gday brad81

I fitted one to my past 3lt Hilux by DTS, It gave the engine a hell of a lot more torque and found it much easier to tow a trailer full of bikes.
I never had any overheating Issues or any problems for that matter & at the same time fitted a 2 1/2" stainless exhaust to make it breath easier.

I cant remember how much boost it was running but I do know it was extremely low, I asked If they could give it a bit more boost but they advised against this for the 3lt motor has a weak bottom end but with the recommended low boost and regular oil changes they will live for a long time.

I should note my Lux had 90,000km on the clock when I turbo charged it and with the extra torque the standard clutch started slipping so I then fitted a Heavy Duty Safari Clutch.
Was a great truck for years afterwards with no problems.

Go for it !

Cheers

AnswerID: 371930

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 10:42

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 10:42
I guess that's what it comes down to, if you get a tubo, find someone who knows your engine and wants to keep their reputation intact by not having someone sledging the turbo for a blown motor.
FollowupID: 639211

Sponsored Links