GSL brake controller

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 18:49
ThreadID: 70148 Views:10197 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I'm in the hunt for a brake controller, looking at the GSL, anyone in the land of Explor Oz have any experience with GSL. Have looked at the Tekonsha models, does not really grab me.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 19:02

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 19:02
No and as you dont want the best we probably cant help you

AnswerID: 371836

Follow Up By: Mizanne - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 19:01

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 19:01
Thanks for your helpful, thoughtful and friendly response, it highlights the enormous contribution that you have made to this website and forum.
FollowupID: 639264

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 20:47

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 20:47
No worries
Brevity and honesty beats sarcasm and more replies agree with me than prefer your choice.

Looks arent everything . Take Troopys Ugly as sin but millions going.

Same with brake contollers. Its whats inside that matters.
Cheers

FollowupID: 639279

Reply By: olcoolone - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 21:36

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 21:36
I would buy the GSL one as you have already made your mind up.

As Graham said and many others on this forum would say if you wanted the best you would buy the Tekonsha Prodigy.

Why do you like the GSL and hate the Tekonsha?

AnswerID: 371864

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 22:31

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 22:31
Not everyone agrees with the "consensus" on the Tekonsha Prodigy, it would seem...

My daughter & SIL are currently in Darwin en route 'round the block (with their 'van & 2 young 'uns), and along the way their Prodigy P3 has thrown up a fault code (and refused to work)..
Had an auto-lec up there check it out, and he has declared the unit to be faulty..

He also told them that he has had to replace so many of these units (both Prodigy and P3, I'm told) under warranty, that he now refuses to stock that brand, and certainly doesn't recommend them....

That's the story as told to me, make of it what you will...

If mine (P3) goes the same way, I'll most certainly be having a close look at the (Aussie made ?) GSL unit as a replacement...

;-)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 639160

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 10:17

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 10:17
We have never see a Prodigy come back not working.

FollowupID: 639206

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 14:00

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 14:00
Since I have been on the forum (Nearly two years) I have never seen a complaint against either the Prodigy or the P3

Plenty about the Voyager.

Are you sure you havent got your apples and oranges mixed up

FollowupID: 639233

Follow Up By: Mizanne - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 19:17

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 19:17
Did not say that I hate the Tekonsha, I do not like the looks of it, I do like the looks of the GSL, I was simply asking a question. I like the Oz made aspect and the price is right.
FollowupID: 639268

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 20:08

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 20:08
Graham,
While I cannot verify what others may (or may not) have been told, I do know what I was told, and I did ask for confirmation re the model(s) to which the sparky was (allegedly) referring..

I also know beyond doubt that the failed unit to which I referred, is a Tekonsha P3, so there are no apples and oranges mixed up here...

What you choose to believe is up to you.. no skin off my nose either way...

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 639271

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 20:52

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 20:52
Fair enough

Was just asking a question in view of the lack of complaints against one and the hundreds against the other.

My Prodigy is over two years old and has given not a moments trouble.

Nothing as we know is perfect and there must be the odd faulty one I guess.

Cheers
FollowupID: 639280

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 23:10

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 23:10
If you are referring to this unit I would advise to give it a wide berth. There is no mention of a pendulum or decelerometer in the unit. Unless it is fitted with one of those then it can not give braking effort to your trailer in proportion to the deceleration of your rig. The other "funny" with this unit is the installations recommend installing a fuse where every other unit they recommend a self resetting circuit breaker.

For more on the subject see Site Link. The model examples may not be the latest but the second paragraph still applies.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 371880

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 10:25

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 10:25
We prefer using fuses over self resetting circuit breakers.

Most people will not know they have a problem as the circuit breaker keeps resetting so they just keep driving, with a fuse they know something is wrong as it will not work at all so they will take it to someone for repairs.

If installed correctly there should not be a problem with fuses or circuit breakers.

Most of the times it comes down to installation and components used that cause problems.

Some people like circuit breakers and others like fuses, a fuse is a more tell tail sign something is wrong.
FollowupID: 639208

Reply By: paulnsw - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 07:11

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 07:11
why reject the best?
if you are towing an empty box trailer a GSL will be ok
personally would not use anything other than a Tekonsha Prodigy
AnswerID: 371902

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 22:42

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 22:42
GSL is OK, but also have a look at the Redarc ones, they are very good to use & physically very small, which makes them easier to fit, they also have a remote head model.
AnswerID: 372032

Reply By: Boobook2 - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 06:40

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 06:40
My understanding is that the GSL works on time delay like the Redarc, unlike prodegy and P3 which work on deceleration ( electronic pendulam?).

I have a Redarc and hate it. The amount of braking is determined by the delay and knob setting, and has nothing to do with braking speed, load, conditions etc.

At best this is annoying as I have to keep changing the settting based on the current conditions ( as a guess) and at worst downright dangerous. It is a comprimise based on simple electronics.

Get a Prodegy or similar, I am going to.
AnswerID: 372040

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 11:17

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 11:17
You are right aboutr how the Redarc and GSL work, most brake controllers work the same way.

They have a mechanical pendulam that is used as a switch to turn them on and off, the down side is they can not detect differant brake forces and will only provide one level of braking.

With the Prodigy they use an electronic variable pendulam that can vary the amount of bake fource depending how hard you brake.

The Prodigy works much like you vehicle brakes, the more force you apply to the the brake pedal and the vehicles brakes the more braking applied to the trailer brakes

This has saved us a couple of times.

FollowupID: 639436

Sponsored Links