Rear Shockers Advise

Landcruiser 100 Series, just clocked 80,000kms...........the rear shocks need replacing..................I tow a Bushtracker Off Road Van 2000kg all up, and see a lot of gravel roads, doing the Great Central next month, Laverton WA to the Alice then on to Cooktown.............What dose the Forum recommend for new shockers Brand etc, for the back and front, would you also recommend new springs ..............I do have Pol Air Bags on the rear.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim (Syd) - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 23:04

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 23:04
Hi Cobber,

We have Tough Dog Ralphs all round. Suspension also has Polyairs, OME springs and torsion bars. We don't tow a van and are usually on the heavy side and this set up works well for us. Other friends of ours have similar set ups but use OME shocks and have had good service, although the more corregations and weight, the more you need bigger shocks with better heat dissipation. Bilsteins also give good service.
Take your time and any of these combinations should do you well. Have a good trip.

Jim

Jim
VKS 737
Call Sign Mobile 2737

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 371878

Reply By: Dunco (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 23:07

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 23:07
Polyairs are fantastic !!!
AnswerID: 371879

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 09:29

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 09:29
I vote for Koni's yes they cost a bit more but there is a good reason for that. They are also rebuildable when the time comes
AnswerID: 371927

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 09:58

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 09:58
I've just gone to Bilstein monotube high pressure gas on the front of our 100 (low stone damage risk and alleged to run cooler than twin tubes) - put TJM XGS twin tube HP gas on the back (huge rocket launchers with 45mm piston - and tack welded stone protection).... the XGS comes in an hydraulic only version too - not sure of the application for that type though. I'm now towing a new 2300kg tare Trakmaster - no poly bags on the car - HR weight distribution hitch seems all I need. Not used the rig in anger to date, but had that shock formula on my Jackaroo for plenty of bush travel and it was a winner for me.
AnswerID: 371931

Reply By: Member - Keith B (QLD) - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:16

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:16
I run Tough Dogs front and rear. I have the adjustable type but would warn you against these as, on the rear at least, the adjusting knob is very easily knocked off on any sort of rough terrain, and you may end up with the shockies running on soft when you need them hard.
While they do perform well until damaged, I will not have them again.
AnswerID: 372341

Sponsored Links