Recent return from the pilbara

Just returned from Rudall, Mill Stream, Karajini, Tom Price, Mt Augustus if anyone needs up to date view.

Regards

Quentin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 23:20

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 23:20
G'day Quentin heading up around Karijini on Saturday. Is there much water still around?
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 371883

Follow Up By: QS - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 23:48

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 23:48
Left Karajini about a week and a bit ago thru Tom Price, Mt Augustus, Murchison, Mullewa and home last Sunday. Karajini was dry and great with the Gorges showing plenty of water. We did have a huge down pour as we hit Murchison which flooded the track in minutes. Karajini was fine and beaut during the day but very cold at night and in the early morning. Stay away from the Eco Resort as a paying guest. It is an embarassment to Western Australian tourism. $240 per night for not a lot. We stayed at Dales but had friends stay at the "resort" for three days and visited them while they were there. Dingos are a bit friendly at Dales. No sraps or shoes left out at night.

Regards

Quentin
FollowupID: 639177

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 12:16

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 12:16
G'day Duncan ~ and all those who have an interest in Karijini and the local region.
Newman has had a healthy 36 millimetres of rain ~ mostly throughout Wednesday afternoon and into the early hours of Thursday. (24 & 25th 6-09 )

No road closed signs up ~ Marble Bar to Nullagine road was boggy in places yesterday but ok with due care, gravel roads are open to traffic, Karijini Visitor Centre phone is not being answered, but that's not unusual.

None the less use caution and common sense if travelling solo and off road.

Regards: Joe

FollowupID: 639223

Reply By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 08:40

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 08:40
Hi Quentin,

We will be heading towards Karajini in the week or two. Are we crazy to think we can find a place for our caravan while the school hols are on or should we wait until after they have finished?

Also, is there anywhere suitable to take a van in Millstream or nearby? it is an 'Outback' Jayco 18ft.

Regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 371914

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 09:49

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 09:49
There is room for an 18' van or three at Snake Creek. Crossing Pool campground right by the Fortescue river is tighter though, but it is popular and very busy - the 18' van might have to go over to Stargazers camp ground (less attractive IMV). There's usually a camp host at Crossing to sort things out - be warned - some camp hosts must have 'odd agendas' at times - we found a "Sorry - no spaces" sign out on the entry road - ignored this and went on in to see for ourselves ......... and gained two camper trailer spots - next morning, when a few campers had gone, the "sorry full" sign was still out ! I presume the host was playing with 'smoke and mirrors' for some personal agenda......... ?
FollowupID: 639203

Follow Up By: QS - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 00:02

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 00:02
Hi Heather, I reckon you might be pushing it at Karajini but it is worth a shot. There are other areas close by (look at Tognalini lookout between Auski and Dales. Free and not all bad). Karajini has overflow camping areas when the more popular are full also. Be aware also that you may get a bit wet and cold ven though it is not the wet season.

Millstream has several options that most would be accessible to you in the right conditions. The area at the home stead has just been re furbished and is very very good with new toilets and impressive camp kitchen with free hot water and gas cooking. I would recommend this to you as your first option. The other areas were closed when we arrived due to slight flooding but opened as we left. I think you will need to look carefully at millstream and the weather but please do not discount it as it is worth the visit and please make the effort to visit Python Pool. I don't know your plans but if you are up around Nullagine Marble Bar I would suggest you plan to stay at a place called Carrawine Gorge for a few days.

Anything else I can help you with please use qrshort@optusnet.com.au

Reagrds and enjoy the West

Quentin
FollowupID: 639302

Follow Up By: QS - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 00:13

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 00:13
PS. Don't be concerned about the camp hosts. The rangers decicide what is open and closed and do so for only the best reasons. The camp hosts have no input into these decisions.

Regards

Quentin
FollowupID: 639303

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 08:34

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 08:34
Thanks Quentin and Darian.

I will look at your suggestions and see how we go, depending on weather.
Good to know there are overflow places at Karijini.

regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 639318

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 10:30

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 10:30
It was exactly the same at Millstream when we passed through last year. Not worth having the camp host there at all! We stayed one night at Stargazers and moved on to Karajini. Lots of room at Dales and there is an overflow area near the Visitors Centre.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 371936

Reply By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 14:04

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 14:04
Hi Quentin,
We will be going through the areas you mentioned soon but will not be leaving Sydney for another week.
Thanks for the information you have given on Karajini, Tom Price and Millstream. Did you go up the railway track from Tom Price? I believe you get a permit to do this track fromTom Price.
We will be going through Rudall River NP from the Talawana Tk in the south to Telfor Mine Road in the north and then into Marble Bar. How did you find the roads through this area? Is there a fair bit of traffic in this area?
Robyn
The outback calls

AnswerID: 372189

Follow Up By: QS - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 23:43

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 23:43
G'day Robyn

Permit for the Tom Price rail line can be secured at the TP visitors centre. You will need to look at a 20 min video on basic safety and thats it. No charge either. The road is excellent but has a lot of road train traffic. A drive to the top of Mt Nameless in TP is worthwhile while you are there.

The Talawana was very good three weeks ago with al ittle flood damage but under repair. The track to Rudall from the Talawana was very corrugated and difficult only because we could not maintain enough speed to skip the corrugations. Watch out for camels about halfway up the track.

The track north of Rudall was good. The track into Desert Queen was slow going with a few spots that we bottomed but worth the effort. There is a cave high on a hill to the left as you near DQB's with a track leading up to it. Worth the effort also but with care. Do not tow and be prepared to reverse back down away as it is dangerous to attempt a turn at the top.

We took a left a little further North and drove the track past Nifty Mine rather than going to Telfer. A very good track except for the first few K's due to flooding but easy to find a way around. As you approach Nifty there is a sign stating you may not continue. This is not correct as it is a gazeted road. You will drive toward Woody Woody and come out on Skull Springs Road. I would highly recommend a few days at Carrawine Gorge.

We used 170 Lts of diesel from Newman to Marble bar in our Nissan 3lt turbo towing a cub camper with 50 Lt's to spare. We averaged 16.9Lt/100klms over the entire trip. Carrying extra fuel and water is a must in the Rudall.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Regards

Quentin

FollowupID: 639505

Follow Up By: QS - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 23:53

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 23:53
A post script Robyn, sorry.

We only saw one other vehicle in the Rudall while we were there. However, this maybe different now as more seem to be on their way. The roads into Marble Bar are quite different with many very long road trains. We only saw one vehicle on the Talawana which was a group from Cotton Creek with a puncture.

Anything else I can help you with, just ask

Regards

Quentin
FollowupID: 639506

Follow Up By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 08:07

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 08:07
Hi Quentin,

Thanks for all that information, it sounds as though you had a great time.

re: 'We took a left a little further North and drove the track past Nifty Mine rather than going to Telfer. A very good track except for the first few K's due to flooding but easy to find a way around. As you approach Nifty there is a sign stating you may not continue. This is not correct as it is a gazeted road. You will drive toward Woody Woody and come out on Skull Springs Road. I would highly recommend a few days at Carrawine Gorge'

If you recorded this track on your GPS could you send it to my email address:
robchicka@bigpond.com
Either a .gpx (or .plt) file would be great.

Regards,
Robyn

The outback calls

FollowupID: 639521

Reply By: Serendipity of Mandurah (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 08:31

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 08:31
Hi Quentin

We are heading up to Mt Augustus this week via the inland route to Meekatharra and then over to Mt Augustus. After that it will probably be over to Canarvon and then back to Perth. Hope to do a little metal detecting on the way.

Any heads up on tracks, good camp sites, or if you know any prospecting spots worth a wave of the wand. (I have never been prospecting before and will just hire one for the week.)

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 373425

Follow Up By: QS - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 21:56

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 21:56
G'day David

Not a lot I can help you with this time. We travelled Mt Augusts to Mullewa and then to Perth. This was a good drive but probably drier than it may be now. The only thing I can tell you is that Mt Augustus is unbelievable.

Just for interest, we paid $1.89/lt for diesel and petrol was the same. This was the most expensive fuel we paid for on our trip through the Pilbara and Eastern Pilbara (we carried extra through the Rudall where it will cost you $4/lt if you really need it). Carry extra if you can.

Have a safe trip

Regards

Quentin
FollowupID: 640815

Sponsored Links