GU leaking hub seal is driving me nuts!!

Submitted: Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 14:14
ThreadID: 70169 Views:3743 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all,

My GU front hub seal has been leaking for some time now, It has been repaired twice under warranty where they have apparently replaced the seals but It still continues to leak.
Any other owners had this problem??? If so what was the diagnosis

Cheers

Image Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: WVB - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 14:43

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 14:43
I'm an ex-mechanic and used to see this on landcruisers from time to time.
Has the axle seal inside the housing been replaced?
From memory this system has an oil seal separating the diff oil & the grease in the ball hub & CV joint.
regards
michael.
AnswerID: 371953

Follow Up By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 14:49

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 14:49
Spot on Mick...this should be a grease hub...if its not then get it converted and then while you are there replace the diff oill seal.

The diff oil seal is in the housing and if it leaks the diff oil runs out the swivel housing seal.

Find out if the two repairs carried out replaced the diff/axle seal as well as the swivel seal because they are just costing themselves money on warranty repair by not doing the repair correctly.

All the best with it.

Matt.

FollowupID: 639239

Follow Up By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 15:05

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 15:05
Gday Michael,

The car is still under warranty so Its going back to Nissan.
Both times they have replaced the seal within 4 hours which seems a bit quick to me, I beleive they have just replaced the outer hub seal which you can see in the pic this only stops the leak for a short time.

I dont recall them saying they replace the axle seal and I would think you would need more than 4 hrs to pull the hub down properly.

FollowupID: 639240

Reply By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 15:03

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 15:03
Hi there,
The other two replies are spot on. These hubs should have high melting point lithium grease in them and this will not leak out. Inside the diff housing there is oil. This oil should be kept away from the inside of the swivel hub by an oil seal inside the end of the axle housing. It is a relatively small seal and can fail, if it does, the diff oil will mix with the swivel hub grease and leak past the seal because it was never designed to be oil tight, only grease tight. No matter how many times you replace the hub seals, if you don't replace the inner oil seal, you are wasting your time. I would wonder if the seal really was replaced, often a mechanic will simply tighten the bolts around the seal, hoping this will fix the problem :)
AnswerID: 371955

Follow Up By: WVB - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 15:37

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 15:37
also if the swivel bearings are 'brinelled' it'll be a further waste of time just doing the shaft seal as these bearings keep the hub concentric through the steering action on the axle housing thus keeping the shaft nice and central in the seal. sorry but......
regards
michael
FollowupID: 639244

Reply By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 15:25

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 15:25
Thanks Guys

I will be sure to talk to Nissan about this when it goes in

Cheers

AnswerID: 371956

Reply By: Malleerv - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 21:22

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 21:22
Check your diff breather. It may be blocked or faulty and this will cause excess pressure buildup in the diff and could be causing that seal to leak oil into the swivel housing
AnswerID: 372019

Reply By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 17:13

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 17:13
Hi there,
I had another idea about why you are getting this leak. Has the vehicle ever had a big hit on the front axle or got airborne and had a heavy landing - if so the front axle housing could be bent slightly, putting the axle off centre, causing the leak.
AnswerID: 372100

Follow Up By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 10:24

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 10:24
Hi Mike,

Yes the vehicle has been airborne once on the Madigans line trying to get over a difficult dune but the hit down was not enough to bend that big sucker of a diff.

There is a photo of the airborne moment in my profile on the third and final attempt with 9psi in the tyres bouncing out of a big wash out and whilst trying to keep momentum through a dog leg at the bottom......was good fun!

FollowupID: 639533

Sponsored Links