Wilcannia - Bourke

Submitted: Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 21:52
ThreadID: 70189 Views:2432 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day everyone,

Does anyone know whether the road from Wilcannia - Bourke via Louth is suitable for an on road caravan?

Thanks in advance

Cheers, Brad
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 22:17

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 22:17
G'day Brad
we travelled on the southern riverside road just before easter this year and it would mostly be OK, exept possibly a 7-10k section just before Louth that was a diversion around a flood damaged bridge, it was deep bulldust for the entire diversion, so unless that van is well sealed from dust it may present a problem.

When we left Tilpa the road on the north side of the river was closed so for that section only it seems not to be an option to avoid the bull dust.

Otherwise we found the road to be mostly good enough to take an ON road van if driven with care.

PS You have just got to stop at Shidys inn at Louth for a dust settler. Some good camp sites (Free) down near the bridge on both sides of the river. Shwer in the park opposite the pub with a gold coin donation to the RFDS at the pub.

The pub at Tilpa has changed hands and I found them to be un-friendly this time. Pity that, I have had some good times there in the past. One local Tilpa man I met in Louth said he will never go to the Tilpa pub while that P1G was behind the bar, strong stuff from a local.

Cheers Colin.
AnswerID: 372024

Reply By: splits - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 00:04

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 00:04
Brad

I agree with Colin. I drove through there recently and the road should not cause any problems but the diversion could be a very different story. The dust was so deep that the car did not like going through it and it was not towing anything. If it is wet then don't even think about it.

I would be inclined to ring the pub at Louth just before you go. They should have a good idea of what type of cars and vans are coming through at the moment and if they are having any problems.
AnswerID: 372034

Reply By: Jedo_03 - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 09:37

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 09:37
Rain up here in Broken Hill and Tibooburra from Thursday night - all day Friday...
Do a road/weather check
Jedo
AnswerID: 372053

Sponsored Links