Rust Proofing

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 22:09
ThreadID: 7019 Views:1448 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I have purchased a '85 HJ60 and am considering having the underbody first, wait a few weeks, then the upper body rust proofed and would like to get and positive or negative issues sourrounding the process.

I am especially keen to ensure that I am aware of any processes or specific areas of the cleaning and rustproofing task to get the best job possible.

Thanks in advance

Owen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 08:13

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 08:13
Going by the age and unknown history of the vehicle, I don't think its worth rust proofing.

You maybe better off giving it a very good steam clean to remove all the old paint and crud, then repaint with killrust paint, paying close attention to inside the chassie rails. You can even go to the trouble of removing the springs pulling them appart cleaning the leaves and reassemble with graffite powder in between and new center bolts and bushes.
AnswerID: 30069

Reply By: Sparky - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:37

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:37
Howdy -

Depending what sort of condition your 60 is ii, what you wnat to do with it and how long you want to keep it, will effect your choice. My 60 is well looked after, I am often up at Fraser or DI and so rust prevention is important. I have an ERPs system with 8 pads (~$600) as well as underbody rust proof updated 6 months before that. I wash and polish car regularly, paying particular attention to underbody after I have come off the beach. In the few years I have had it...it has been great - body still in good nick...I figured that $600 is cheaper than lots of panel work and painting...and peace of mind!

Sparky
AnswerID: 30078

Reply By: Eric - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 22:56

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 22:56
Ogray.
An 85 that is not already rusty is very unusual you are lucky, but I am thinking you should go over it with a magnet before you spend a cent on rust proofing because if it is full of bog and filler rust proofing will actualy make it worse because the miosture is traped in the panels. Eric.
AnswerID: 30163

Sponsored Links