Strzelecki Track Feedback

Can anyone tell me is the road from Innamincka over the Strzelecki Track suitable for towing a 20ft ordinary caravan? We're travelling to Marree and Lake Eyre and wondering if we should use this road rather than coming up from Leigh Creek?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 16:33

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 16:33
Hi Anna
Even though the Strezelecki Track is usually in good condition, you may be expecting a little to much from a road van. You would probably do a lot of stone damage to the van. If the track is wet, you could be stranded for a few days or so until the track dries out. There is a very good road to Lyndhurst and they are doing the road up from there until Marree.

These are my thoughts.

Have a think about it.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 372094

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 17:35

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 17:35
The Strzelecki track is almost always in excellent condition barrring after heavy local rain. It's graded & maintained regulary for Moomba gas. Where you may have a problem with a road van is all other roads leading to Innamincka via Tiboorburra etc are often heavily potholed & corrugated. Then again if you're heading to the Lake Eyre puddle you will come accross some of those rough conditions anyway on the Oodnadatta track.
Cheers Craig...........
AnswerID: 372105

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 18:00

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 18:00
Much of the Strz is great (weather and grading permitting etc) but the bottom end can be ultra stony - a road van would suffer stone damage I'm sure ......and your tyres would want to be very robust if choosing that route.
A few pics on my site (road surfaces section) at..........
http://users.picknowl.com.au/~darian/
AnswerID: 372108

Follow Up By: Anna & Christiaan - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 08:44

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 08:44
Great road pics thanks
FollowupID: 639422

Reply By: guy007 - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 18:08

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 18:08
Hi AnC,
Travelled back from Halligans Bay at Lake Eyre a week ago.
Thargomingah to Innaminka is being resurfaced in places and is quite stony as you cross the gibber plains east of Innaminka.Strzelecki Track is a bit of a highway with a few deep bulldust holes marked mostly with red flags.It gets quite stony as you get nearer to Lyndhurst but is quite passable for a road van provided you take it easy through the numerous dips and provided that you have good strong tyres such as Light Truck construction on your van. Lyndhurst to Marree is good and being furthur sealed . Make sure you stop at Farina. It is the best camp site you will find before reaching Lake Eyre. After Marree the Onandatta track is very good to William Creek but take it easy in the dips. Along the Track a good camp spot for caravans is Coward Springs, It even has a natural spa. Be sure to visit the mound springs nearby , Blanche Cap and the Bubbler are amazing. The road into Halligans Bay to paddle into the waters of Lake Eyre is very cut up and badly corrugated and I would recommend that you leave your van at William Creek and travel down the 60k to Halligans Bay without it.Many people do this and there are many vans at William Creek. It took us 90 minutes to travel into Halligans Bay in a 80 Cruiser with a camper trailer and it is the worst road of the trip.
Have a good trip
Guy
AnswerID: 372109

Follow Up By: Anna & Christiaan - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 08:43

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 08:43
Thanks for all that info Guy - just what we wanted to know. Looks like the best thing is to come the other way and travel up from Leigh Creek with the caravan and not come through Innamincka and the Strzelecki Track. Then camp at Marree and do some day trips into Lake Eyre and then on to William Creek with the van as you suggest, and again day trips to Halligans Bay. My husband has this desire to bring his rowing skull so he can row on Lake Eyre...is that possible or perhaps just wishful thinking?
How about the road from William Creek to Coober Pedy - is that suitable for a caravan do you think?
cheers
anna
FollowupID: 639421

Follow Up By: guy007 - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 10:52

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 10:52
Hi Anna,
Cant comment on Cooper Pedy Road but Google ..SA Road Conditions... and they will report on conditions...a very good site.
It would be possible to row on the Lake from Halligans Bay but you would get very muddy walking the boat out to deeper water. Go to
www.lakeeyreyc.com
The yacht club could advise you. They are based at Marree and have been holding regular events on the lake
You may have a more pleasant camp at Farina rather than Marree.
enjoy
Guy
FollowupID: 639431

Sponsored Links