GU4 Patrol Left Rear Window Demister

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 00:03
ThreadID: 70209 Views:2054 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know how the LR window demister is supposed to operate? It only has one wire connected to it and both the rear door window demisters have two so how does the LR demister complete the circuit? The wire connects to the thin demister wires that are stuck to the glass but they just terminate on the glass like a "dead end" without actually going anywhere. When I did my apprenticeship with DC you had to have a feed and an earth so if anyone can shed any light on how this "one wire system" is supposed to operate I would appreciate it because mine is not working and I want to try and repair it. There is no damage to the fine wires on the glass and both rear door window demisters are operating.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 01:07

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 01:07
That "demister" is actually a radio antenna....

It's a carry-over from the early GUs that had a short-wave band in the radio, and that's the short-wave antenna..

;-))

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 372149

Follow Up By: hl - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 07:21

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 07:21
Almost correct!
It is an antenna, but it is an FM antenna. The radio in the GU is capable of diversity reception on FM and will automatically pick the best signal from the 2 antennas.

Cheers
FollowupID: 639418

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 11:51

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 11:51
Ah well, There ya go............

Learn somethin' new every day...

;-)))

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 639446

Reply By: blown4by - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 14:33

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 14:33
Thanks for that Ed.C & hi you answered my second question after receiving ED.C's reply which was if it is an aerial does it actually do anything in my model.
This also explains why the wire that feeds it was not earthed. Here I was thinking it was some new fangled single wire fibre optic demister where current could travel in both directions by the one wire but I suspected that would be a little hi tech for a Patrol (and that is good thing)
Thanks to you both. At least now I won't spend all Sunday (today) trying to make it "demist" -:)
AnswerID: 372193

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 14:40

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 14:40
Well that's a shame because that would have involved spending all day Sunday heavy breathing in the back seat so the window had something to demist.....

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 639456

Follow Up By: blown4by - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 22:15

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 22:15
Mmm. I'm a bit like the vintage car these days. Only goes once a fortnight and then it has to be started by hand:-)
FollowupID: 640439

Sponsored Links