Lake Windamere NSW

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 17:37
ThreadID: 70224 Views:5950 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Thinking about dragging the old van down to Cudgegong Waters Caravan Park, Lake Windamere NSW. Or there abouts.

From the much travelled, is it worthy as a base camp to explore the area. We can be self contained for about a week so getting away from any structured camps is not a problem. A fire at night is good so how does the area stack up?

We had a look at Rylstone Caravan Park recently and it looked a bit open slather, security wise, No offence to the decent folks at Rylstone.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Madfisher - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 18:33

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 18:33
While I fish it quite a bit, I dont usually camp there. Going to be very cold of a night for the next 10 weeks or so. I would think you would need to bring your own firewood. Lithgow and Bathurst are about 1 hour away. Caretaker lives their so security should be ok. Lake is at 22%.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 372225

Follow Up By: Seakarvan - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 08:00

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 08:00
Thanks Pete,

We were planning the Run in Late August/early Sept. Just back from a few days at Oberon. First time I've seen a plastic hose fitting bleep ter due to the cold, Gone brass - You never stop learning, do you.

Cheers

Seakarvan
FollowupID: 639519

Reply By: rags - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 22:59

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 22:59
I have no problems recommending this park Cudgegong Waters Caravan Park, Lake Windamere to anyone who ask. We camp here often in our camper, or swag if by myself [ have friends who have long term storage of van here so meet up with them here].There are 2 options of camping 1= at top near amenities and power or 2= down by the water no power but with fires, our preferred method. Camping by the water is great,if you have boat or canoes as you can leave them on waters edge,you need to drive back up hill to the 2 amenity blocks which are basic but tidy. costs are about $5 p/p p/n each plus a $2 car entry fee for un powered [dont know power costs as never done this]. Fire drums will be provided but of late we have just had ground fires ,wood is available from shop for about $10 a big good wood bag,but is scarce on the ground in area unless you jump in boat and go to other side of lake to collect where there is plenty.Popular with fisho's as fishing can be good.At moment water levels are low but at the water edge on last visit was plush soft grass . Trips to surrounding areas is not out of question Mudgee [wineries] about 20mins and other destinations not more than an hour away[hill end ,bathurst,gulgong dunes swamp etc].Ski boats can populate here in summer but generally don't bother you as they go done stream towards dam wall for the larger lake areas
Great place to go and sit and relax and hope to be out there again soon when i go to Mudgee farm field day 24/7/09 and 25/7/09
hope this helps
Russell
AnswerID: 372264

Follow Up By: Seakarvan - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 08:09

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 08:09
Thanks Russell,

Down near the water for a few days sounds good mate. Drove past the place many times, like most, and have never been in.

Is it ok to follow Cudgegong Rd around to Rylstone with the van?
It looks like tar from satellite view.

Cheers Mate

Seakarvan
FollowupID: 639522

Follow Up By: Honky - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 10:34

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 10:34
Just remember it is $2 every time you go in.

Honky
FollowupID: 639534

Reply By: briann532 - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 20:31

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 20:31
Seakarvan,

I have a few suggestions of great spots in the area.
email me at "bandj at ihug dot com dot au"
AnswerID: 372373

Sponsored Links