Tyre Dilemma's

Submitted: Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 01:40
ThreadID: 70234 Views:2406 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Having had 32 X 11.5 X 15 MTR's on my vehicle for the last 2 years and being very happy with the wear and the grip and lucky that they just missed the guards., the you know what hit the fan last week. I had a slow leak in the rear passenger tyre so off to the local tyre fitter for a patch, on inspection the inside of the tyre had cracks all across it, after checking all 4 they were all the same. I had done 38,000k's and when they checked the wear it was about 1/3 so I was happy with the wear but miffed that some really good looking tyres were to be binned.

I spoke to the owner who said they would be warranted and I would pay 2/3 the price for 4 new ones, which was great, now to my Dilemma, Wrangler MTR have changed their tread pattern and the new 32 X 11.5 X 15 has a 24mm larger diameter that the old pattern when new, so end of guard clearance, now I scrape even coming in my drive way under brakes with the wheel slightly turned. So a body lift is now happening in the next few weeks.

My big winge is how can the same tyre size by a manufacturer change so much, I now different brands vary but wouldn't have expected same brand tyres to do it to this degree
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DW (NSW) - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 06:06

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 06:06
Maybe you need to change brands as well as the size especially after the problems you are having. There are quite a few adverse comments about them on the internet.
AnswerID: 372274

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 08:44

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 08:44
It happens.

Friend a few years ago bought 4 new tyres, same make, same pattern.
Couldn't get a wheel alignment to work, car kept pulling to one side.

Tyre pressures the same, first thing checked.

Noticed one side of the car higher than the other.

Yep, one tyre was about 10mm bigger in diameter. Same tyres, bought at the same time, but one tyre came from a different factory. Swapped the tyre for a new one of the same diameter from the same factory and all OK.
AnswerID: 372286

Reply By: stevesub - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 08:56

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 08:56
Any reason why the originals cracked? Maybe running too low tyre pressures at too high a speed??? Did the tyre place give any ideas as you do not want the same thing happening again.

It does annoy me when manufacturers seem to have ever changing tyres which means you cannot replace just a single tyre on the front, you have to do them in pairs which is why I have 3 different tyres on the Rangie, all the same manufacturer, all supposedly the same model and size, just different tread patterns and all purchased over the last 12 months.

Stevesub
AnswerID: 372288

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 08:32

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 08:32
Gday Blaze,
I had a set of MTRs that suffered slight delamination of the sidewalls (small bulges on the inside wall). Took them back and they were also replaced prorata (Goodyear stand by their tyres!).

Those tyres did 44,000k of desert trips (had a different set of tyres for bitumen and sand), without so much as a puncture. But with hindsight I reckon it was an Anne Beadell/Gunbarrel Hwy trip one October when we running low pressures, plenty of weight and had a 5 day 45 degree heatwave that caused it. Maybe its a downside of the thick sidewalls??
AnswerID: 372414

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 09:51

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 09:51
Gday Phil,

Interesting aboy the ABH, having done that ourselves last year maybe the same scenerio. I totally agree with you regards their warranty, (well I do at this point LOL) and I was totally wrapped in grip and lack of tyre wear on them, will be interesting what the new more agressive pattern wear like also with the Kevlar in the wall.

Cheers.

FollowupID: 639662

Sponsored Links