HF radio reception

Submitted: Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 17:56
ThreadID: 70244 Views:3586 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone. I have tried a number of earth locations with a HF radio with no real improvement in quality of sound pick up. I can hear the skeds on VKS but very poor quality. I am new to the Hf radio seen. Is this quality normal. How clear should it be? Getting a bit fustrated. Getting closer to trip to Simpson desert. Need to get it sorted ASAP. Can anyone recommend companies in south east Queensland who install HF radio who can double check my work. Thank You
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scott F (QLD) - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:22

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:22
Hello Shane, Mark at the Codan communication repairer at Caboolture Qld is a whiz ( not sure what it is called, but if you contact VKS-737 they will give you the business name) you will save a lot of time & money, Mark diagnosed my dads HF problem very quickly - with the perfect result - give him a call!, byeeee
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 372342

Follow Up By: David H - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:51

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:51
Mark Kyle, at Kyle communications 25 Cameron Rd, Burpengary 07 3888 7899
or try Steve Brushett at Mobile Communications 1/53 Boyland Ave, Coopers Plains 07 3373 2345, i've had work done both of these guys on my Codans.
cheers, Dave.
FollowupID: 639589

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:52

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:52
His name is Mark Kyle He lives at Burpengary Cameron Road I think.

Turn off the Bruce going south at Ulhmann road go left ,then right into

buckleys road. Camerons is the first road on the left if I remember correctly and

there is a sign at the gate about 300 meters from the corner on the left hand

side Has Kyle Communications on it and two big tin sheds back off the road.

His number is 0738887899. He is a real whizz but is awy a lot so ring before you go
FollowupID: 639590

Follow Up By: BenDiD - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 19:35

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 19:35
I second the recommendation for Mobile Communications at Coopers Plains. My experience of them is only for Codan (do a good job). They also deal with Barrets. BUT - do call ahead as they are usually busy and the workshop can be booked up for a while.

good luck
FollowupID: 639598

Reply By: Member - Mary W NW VIC - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:43

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:43
Don't know if you read my follow up on old post re speaker in set being rs.Try plugging in a remote or headphones-solved my problem-all transmissions loud and clear,
Cheers,
mary
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 372348

Reply By: jeepthing - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 19:19

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 19:19
Shane,

It could be your location have you tried testing it away from residential areas/power lines etc?

If you still have the aerial located at the rear of your vehicle have you tried a bullbar location, you will get a better ground plane there and I know that Barrett recommend this location, even with an auto tune aerial.

I know there's an issue with wildlife with that location. Even though I have a tapped aerial I just remove it when traveling in the outback then hook it up when I check in at sked time.

The clarity of incoming signals can have a lot to do with your location whereas transmissions have a lot to do with a good ground plane and your location. I live in a rural residential area and the reception and transmissions are poor in front of my shed but when I move to the front of my block away from metal roofs/shed it's 100%

There's a fellow who sells HF radios on ebay goes under the name of Underdunk, I bought my Barrett 250 through him and he is very knowledgeable and very helpful. I'm not sure if he has anything there at the moment. He would be the guy to talk to if you can get hold of him. Someone who reads this thread may have his telephone number I can't find it at the moment but I'll have a further search and get back to you if I find it.
AnswerID: 372358

Follow Up By: Member - Bytemrk(VIC) - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 21:59

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 21:59
Hi,

His name is David Collins, as well as selling through eBay he also runs Hf-Radio.com.au

Really helpful guy.

You will find contact details Here

Cheers
Mark
FollowupID: 639633

Reply By: anglepole - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 09:12

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 09:12
Just before you go running off to have your radio checked here are a few simple self checks you can do.

If the Radio tunes properly when you transmit it is not likely to be your antenna earthing. Make sure your RADIO is properly earthed.

I don't if your radio has Volmet frequencies or the weather frequencies from Charleville and the one in WA, you could listen to these and they should boom in.

The other problem is the reflecting layers in the atmosphere don't always do the right thing and there are times and days that comms are difficult.

Check this out, http://www.ips.gov.au/HF_Systems/1/1/1

Good luck
AnswerID: 372421

Sponsored Links