Travelling from Alice Springs to Birdsville late August

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 07:24
ThreadID: 70256 Views:5022 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Are there any travelers crossing from Alice Springs by the Plenty Highway, from 26 August, eventually to Birdsville?
Due to circumstances I will be solo from Alice Springs and would enjoy traveling in the company of other caravan/camper trailers at least to Boulia but Birdsville would be more enjoyable.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers
Duncan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mandrake - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 16:54

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 16:54
We are heading from Alice to St George a bit later - around mid Sept leaving Alice via Tennant Creek , Mt Isa etc ...

How bad / good is the Plenty Highway ?

Rgds

Steve

AnswerID: 372481

Follow Up By: Member - DW (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 19:31

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 19:31
I am not sure of the Plenty Highway but will be checking before I depart Alice Springs.
It is a long way around the way you are going. At this time only wet weather may encourage me to go that way.
cheers
FollowupID: 639732

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 22:36

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 22:36
I have just returned from travelling across the Plenty in my Troopy. From Gem Tree to the QL boarder the road was ok with the odd patch of mild corrugations - mostly travelled at about 75 kph. Some road works near the boarder. From the boarder to Boulia the road was excellent and we travelled at 90 kph all the way.

KK
AnswerID: 373120

Follow Up By: Member - DW (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 05:18

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 05:18
Hi KK
Thank you for that information. It is not too long until I get there as well. So hope it remains similar.
Cheers
DW
FollowupID: 640332

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 07:27

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 07:27
Hi DW, Just in case you are not aware;

Gem Tree will only sell you $50 worth of fuel. It's a service to their camping customers, they do not get fuel deliveries - they drive out with their small trailer and get a few 44 gal drums of fuel and then pour it into their own bowser tank.

I did not get fuel at Harts Range community but I understand that you can get fuel there. However, the shop (& fuel) is only open restricted hours like 9 till midday or something similar. There is a good free camp about 3 km past the Harts Range race course. If coming from the west turn right at the first turn just before the Police station - the turn is sign posted 'Racecourse'.

Jervois has fuel and a few sweets but restricted hours.

Tobermorey is CLOSED but in an emergency they will let people free camp if you ask. We found several turn outs that have probably been used by road graders a few km before Tobermorey (just after the road works).

May see you at St. George KK
FollowupID: 640334

Follow Up By: Member - DW (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 09:28

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 09:28
Hi again KK

Thank you for the additional information. I can carry enough fuel to get me across and a bit more. However, the stops maybe interesting or a rest break.

Unable to be at St. George but will have been at Goondiwindi earlier on the way home.

Cheers
DW
FollowupID: 640344

Sponsored Links