Marine seals on my camper trailer

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 05:30
ThreadID: 70289 Views:4494 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Can anyone give me the correct installation proceedure for installing marine seals to my camper trailer ?

Have looked at them several ways, and am still "not too sure", if I got it right.

Tried to get onto a service manual, but cannot seem to get onto one.

Cheers in advance
Bucky
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 06:29

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 06:29
HI.This is how I do it for a boat trailer to make it water proof.Steel sleeve presses into the rear of the hub(with a light smear of silastic around the outside after the bearing has been installed) and is then lubricated with grease.The rubber section pushes onto the axle also with a smear of grease around the outside.I seal the centre onto the axle with silastic,once dry it lockes it into position and makes it completely water proof.You need to put the hub on before the silastic dries so that it pushes the rubber into the correst position then leave it for the silastic to dry over a couple of hours.I also put silastic around the outer cap where it pushes into the hub. My current trailer has gone 5 years without a trace of water ingress. Regards,Bob.
AnswerID: 372565

Reply By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 10:45

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 10:45
The correct installation proceedure for installing marine seals to a camper trailer is as follows:

1. Get a couple of dead fish...... the smellier the better.

2. Wave them in front of the seal's nose then toss them up onto the camper's bed.

3. The seal will jump up onto the bed and install himself comfortably.

4. Add more fish as necessary to maintain the installation.

5. Don't worry about the smell .... the seal loves it!

Hawhawhawhaw........ sorry, couldnt help it! lol

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 372594

Follow Up By: brushmarx - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 14:23

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 14:23
Allan
I hope you realise that nonsensical answers like that get moderated.
If you read the post accurately, you will see it refers to marine seals.
I think you will find that these are the military trained seals from the USA, and your system would not work.
I feel that a CD in the trailer playing the Star Spangled Banner would make the seals stand up and salute, then you reverse into them at 30kph. That speed coupled with the top heavy saluting seal should ensure a successful installation.
That way you don't have to worry about the fish smell unless you tongue kiss the seals.
Cheers
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 639862

Reply By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 04:30

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 04:30
Who cares, as long as I get at least a couple of decent answers, I can work it out. Could not find any diagramatic views on the Net.

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 372868

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 09:47

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 09:47
The answer above is good, but I don't agree with the need for silicone.
FollowupID: 640136

Sponsored Links