ThreadID: 70305 Views:2615 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
has anyone been up to mt skene to the snow yet & if so
is there any snow
& is the road open or have they closed it off for winter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 18:51

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 18:51
Gaday Pu, we went up a couple of weeks ago for a great drive in about half a metre of snow. Unfortunately most of that at a guess has melted & around 10 to 20 cm remains above 1400m. Over the next few days temperatures are dropping with snow showers expected so should be a reasonable fresh cover for a play this weekend.
That said Mansfield Shire have a road closure over Mt Skene from the Wren's Flat turn off & is sign posted accordingly.
Cheers Craig.................

AnswerID: 372666

Follow Up By: Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 21:08

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 21:08
G'day Craig,

I 'spose when there's a decent covering you'll take the 'cruiser :-)

We went north of Licola on Monday - walked out to Nielsons Cragg and then up to the Pinacles - no snow at all.

Whilst out on the Cragg I cound see very light snow over towards the Howitt airstrip but it didn't look like much.

Been bl00dy cold here the last few days with rain squals tonight - hopefully more snow.....

Tim
FollowupID: 639933

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 21:40

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2009 at 21:40
"I 'spose when there's a decent covering you'll take the 'cruiser :-) "
Quite likely Tim. Although the Jeep being lighter doesn't bog down as far, I've found the Cruiser surprisingly easier to get up on top when it gets deep. Possibly having lower gearing, greater clearance & more power at idle helps.
Although there's a little snow on the way for this weekend I'll wait for it to get a bit deeper before the next run. Have a few high altitude tracks further afield in mind away from the crowds to check out :-)
Cheers Craig....
FollowupID: 639937

Follow Up By: Leroy - Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 22:53

Thursday, Jul 02, 2009 at 22:53
Great pic Craig. Brings a smile to my face every time I see a pic like that in virgin snow on a sunny day. Nice dump at the moment!

Leroy
FollowupID: 640110

Follow Up By: Crackles - Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 09:13

Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 09:13
Gaday Leroy. Yes another 20cm last night with snow showers through to next week should make for some great driving over the weekend although the weather wont be quite as nice as that run a fortnight ago. I struck it lucky when I decided to go to Melbourne via the short cut over the top. Wasn't quite expecting 150 km of snow covered roads particually being on my own. Ah well there's 3G coverage over the top & have a heap of mates who wouldn't need much of an excuse to leave work to recover me :-))
Cheers Craig............
FollowupID: 640134

Sponsored Links